Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Im after any information on the vessel Saint Philippe built by Ateliers & Chantiers de France, Dunkerque in 1912
owned at the time of her loss by Société Navale de l'Ouest and was a French steamer of 3419 tons.
On November 29th, 1916, She was on a voyage from Alger to Rouen with a cargo of wine and sunk by the German submarine UB 39 (Heinrich Küstner), 10 miles WSW of Guernsey. With the loss of 9 persons. There must be some French reports of her loss ?

I have an image off Wrecksite.eu of the sister ship Saint Simon.

Im after particulars on machinery. How many boilers, cylinder sizes, types of boilers, etc. etc.

As its' French I'm not sure where to search for such information ?

Many thanks GG

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hello,
You may have seen this. Google Translate

You may find this publication useful
The Registre Veritas is published by the French shipping registration agency Bureau Veritas, who are based in Paris. The register is available on microfilm in the National Maritime Museum library for the period 1829–1985.

Suggest you get in touch with NMM Greenwich. The Library reopens for 2 days a week from 25/08/2020 but I believe staff are stlll answering quiries via e-mail.
details here.

regards
Roger

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Triple 3-cyl. (22", 36" & 60.5" x 39") or ( 59, 91,& 153 x 99 centimetres) 75rpm 1270hp 11.3 kts built by the shipbuilder.

The above from BV Register 1913

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for that BillH,
I have a revamped PC and could not find that link.

regard
Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts