Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for photographs of the MV Saltersgate built 1976 by Appledore shipbuilders and owned by Turnbull Scott. I sailed on her for nearly a year and although highly unreliable and would roll on wet grass, I had a great time on her, so good in fact that I never had a photo. If anyone has one I would be most grateful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
FOTOFLITE have a picture of a ship by this name, unfortunately there is no jpg to see if it is the one you are after. If you contact the address below or email. They will send you a small jpg to see if it is the ship you require.

FOTOFLITE
Norfolk Drive, Leacon Road
Ashford, Kent, TN23 4FB
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel: 01233 635556
Fax: 01233 635557
E-mail: [email protected]

Sailed on the Skeldegate, 1,599grt. She would roll in dry dock. Had some terrible bouts of seasickness on her through the Bay of Biscay and up in the Black Sea in winter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think the saltersgate was built at appledore,the only . builds for turnbull scott in the yard was the southgate,sandgate,greenpark
The Saltersgate was originally named Greenpark . I was the radio officer on her maiden voyage out of Appledore . We sailed up to Darlington to load Steel railway sleepers for Lagos , West Africa . Her design was intended for the Great Lakes and, yes she rolled like a pig !!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I believe she was the same hull as the Jebsen Appledore 'R' Class with modifications. She had a Mirrlees engine as opposed to a Pielstick, a strange gantry affair on deck and a modified bridge and accomodation layout. The Jebsen ships were designed for their Middle Trades but they were equipped with Goal Posts for the Lakes use. The Jebsen ships had Gun Clean hold washing and a massive eductor for hold bilges which I dont think Turnbulls went for.

regards
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.