Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surpirised that no-one has commented on today's anniversary.
Even Google has the title in morse code today.

Small pedantic point.
Has Google got it wrong?
Are they showing it in modern morse code and was Samuel Morse's code largely different to the morse we all know and love?

·
OilyRag
2,066 Posts
You are the expert Kris, tell us.
By the way, how did you transmit dit-dah's etc. in different colours???
Clever Google has done it!!

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
752 Posts
google logo

I did notice the google logo in morse code today but didn't know it was his birthday. I'll sink one for him tonight! (Thumb) (Pint)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Chris, thanks for reply, I do mean the same code with a flashing light i.e. Aldis or 10 inch projector, and not the flag method, semaphore B for dot and D for dash?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi Marconi Sahib

Morse's code was used on landline and was bit different from what we used (and still do) on radio. On landline:

C = . . .
F = . _ .
J = _ . _.
L = ___
O = . .
P = . . . . .
Q = . . _ .
R = . . .
X = . _ . .
Y = . . . .
2 = . . _ .
3 = . . . _ .
5 = - - -
6 = . . . . . .
7 = _ _ . .
8 = _ . . . .
9 = _ . . _
0 = ___

Full stop = . . _ _ . .
Comma = . _ . _
Question mark = _ . . _ .
Colon = _ . _ . .
Semi-colon = . . . . .
Dash = _ . . . _ . .

Quite a few differences and room for confusion if the spacing/length is wrong, e.g. T and L, also L and 0 are the same. some of this stuff carries over into today's code used on radio. For example

AF (all finished) in landline = AR in today's code
HO HO (laughter) = HI HI (with long space between the dits in the Is) in today's amateur usage
& = ES in landline, that's why amateurs use it for "and", whereas we used ET in marine radio.

So GOOGLE would have been _ _ . . . . . _ _ . ___ .

Hope this helps,

gwzm

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
Just logged on and seen it, good one Google !

(==D)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Pity Inspector Morse is not on TV tonight when we'd have heard the programme signature tune - M O R S E (morse code music).

._ ._.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was what I was looking for, GWZM. (Thumb)
I'd seen it before but couldn't find it again.
It was bugging me. [=P]

Had very little to do with semaphore after leaving school, David.
Morse code for the lamp is the same as for radio.
Calling was AAA and acknowledge was TTT, I think. No doubt I shall soon be corrected if it wasn't. (Sad)
Such a long, long time since I've had to read a lamp.

Cheers
Kris

·
King Ratt
1,955 Posts
Calling was AA AA sent until a reply was received from the ship being called. Acknowledgement was T as Trotterdotpom says, sent after each word was received.

·
Registered
723 Posts
AA AA call up, T reply, then BT reply BT then message "what ship" AR to end and R received BT Read name (unless Blue Flue), from, to, end AR .
Have downloaded audio morse from net but found after much practice at a speed of 15 words a minute I can't write down fast enough to keep up. But being a 77 year old ex deck I am probably past it.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I knew I'd get it wrong. (Ouch)
Such a long time ago and latterly the only reply you got, without any of the AA T BT etc., was a quick flash of VHF!
I suppose, David, that you didn't need to ask another Blue Flue where from and to because everyone knew already. Wasn't any different in any of the "liner" cargo companies that I sailed with.
Keep up the practice. It normally took us sparkies two years to get it cracked, and that was full time.
Interesting to see that there were some carry-overs from Morse's original code.
Morse code sounds so much better than something like "International audio and visual signalling standard code for Merchant ships" or something similairly European. [=P]

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The point was that once you had ascertained the ship's name you did not need to enquire as to where from or to if it was a vessel of the same company.
Since all the posts involve the use of morse code and can be interpreted as a celebration of his birthday I see no problem.
After all, how better to celebrate such a person's anniversary than to reminisce about how he has affected our lives.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The point was that once you had ascertained the ship's name you did not need to enquire as to where from or to if it was a vessel of the same company.
Since all the posts involve the use of morse code and can be interpreted as a celebration of his birthday I see no problem.
After all, how better to celebrate such a person's anniversary than to reminisce about how he has affected our lives.
R/O's who kept company scheds. usually knew which ship anyway. Was brave once and got most of a staff list send/received by Aldis because a deck cadet on the another ship said (on the VHF) he wanted some lamp practice (A) and the watch called me :)

I'm doing my bit to keep morse going, I'm teaching classes at the Highland Aero Club every wednesday evening. Fliers like to recognise VOR's & NDB's without peeking at the chart - more power to them I say...

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Keep up the practice. It normally took us sparkies two years to get it cracked, and that was full time.[=P]
Kris, I understand that you are being supportive and encouraging, but the actual process is somewhat shorter. When I was at radio college, the course for 2nd Class PMG was 2 terms; for 1st Class it was 3 terms i.e. 1 year.

And I am sure in WW2 the guys had to get there much quicker than that.

Having said that, I was there 1 year for 2nd Class but had a term out being treated for TB.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm probably a slow learner, Ron. (Sad)
I was at college for two years with one term out for BOT Radar.
The initial learning wasn't the hard part and neither was reaching a reasonable speed but the longer I practiced the faster I got.
Mostly from translating the advertising hoardings into morse and trying to interpret the squeaks from the bus springs. [=P]
The biggest hurdle was making the translation totally automatic. Like speaking a second language.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts