Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co.../sd-fi-sdge-wildfire-plan-20190207-story.html

Investor owned San Diego Gas and Electric has been trying since 2007 (I think) to get ratepayers to reimburse them for a multi hundreds of millions of dollars fire that they started due to antique equipment that fell apart in a wind. They are now appealing in the California Supreme Court having lost everywhere else so far.

On the Other Hand SDG & E has spent over a Billion dollars in recent years to mitigate fire dangers. Something like 60% of SDG & E transmission lines in fire prone areas are now underground. SDG & E of course have charged we rate payers with the cost of doing this so it is not altruistic. We have a three tiers rates 0-400 KWH 29 cents per KWH. 401-800 KWH = 45 cents, 801 and above 55 cents. I have always stayed in the 29 cents bracket.

I live in a hilly rural area that, until 1952, when the rancher built a home for himself. His family owned and operated this huge beef ranch since 1850. 1950 he began developing this land. My living room is 400 square feet since that was the showroom. My kitchen and both bathroom counter tops are ceramic tile as are the bathroom floors. With the exception of the kitchen linoleum floor I have bare maple floors in the rest of the house. And real plaster walls and ceilings on perforated metal lathe. The paved roads here are narrow and twisty because they follow the paths that the cows walked; there are no sidewalks or streetlights.

We all used to have lights that illuminated our front yards and parking areas and shined out into the road. We all have off-street parking driveways, garages or a parking lot like me. There is a 12 x 20 room on the north side of my home with it's own outside entrance. This was the newly created Stevens Construction Company office. The Rancher's name was George Stevens and the Stevens Construction Company is still in business but now only builds large high end commercial and residential.

I put my Kill-A-Watt on my 27 years old 50 watts bulb Low-Pressure-Sodium parking lot light. Then my 42 watts CFL front porch light. Between the two they shined out to the road. 92 watts per hour x 12 hours daily = 1,104 watts times 30 days = 33.12 KWH times 29 cents = $9.60 x 12 = $115.20. In my immediate neighborhood all of we 60s-70s living on Social Security have shut off our outside lights. Looks like an ink well out there now after dark.

I live on four tenths of an acre - 17,424 square feet. The only thing is that our property lines meet in the middle of the road and me being on a corner about 400 lineal feet of asphalt road ten feet wide is part of my spread. Don't worry there still is plenty to mow winters when water falls out of the sky and dormant weeds wake up.

Zillow currently has a $519,000 price tag on my home, I paid $130,000 in May 1995 and I paid it off in 2008. Recently the teller at one of the two banks I frequent asked what I pay in rent. He was incredulous when I told him $350 a month. $4200 a year for property taxes and homeowners insurance.

From the fall of 1995 winters when water falls out of the sky and all kinds of different dormant weeds in my former cattle yard wake up. Twenty-one years I mowed it with a self-propelled walk behind 22 inch wide mower and it took me four hours. The easiest way is to mow weekly. Some weeds grow faster than other's so weekly I would walk around behind my mower.

Now getting around with a cane and a walker I cannot walk behind. June 2017 I got a contractor to cut it, it took two men with commercial gas engine weedie-whips two days and cost me $1200. 2018 a neighbor 'car-guy' with more cars than space hit me up to park some of them in my backyard. In exchange he offered to take care of my weed mowing. 2018 he did a fantastic job, 2019 he pretty much ignored me doing a small portion now and then - he mowed the north end of my backyard where he parked his excess wheels. Right now I have six feet tall very dry weeds in my backyard; but his vehicles were still in my yard.

I spent about six months researching riding lawn mowers and last Thursday bought a John Deere Z345M - z345m_ztrakmower.jpg attached. $3,822.71 assembled and delivered. I first tried a traditional front engine mini tractor but I had a hard time getting on and when there with the seat pushed as far back as it goes my knees were almost up to my chin.

I ordered some accessories that were not in stock so that will take about a week. I added a rear bumper and trailer hitch for $152. A utility cart with a plastic box $279. A boarding step that will cut in half how high I have to lift my foot to get on $112.70. A waterproof protective cover $85.99, a rubber traction mat kit -- for that shiny green painted foot platform so hopefully I won't slip $39.99.

My backyard is surrounded with a six feet tall chain link fence on the east and south so I need a vehicle gate to get the mower into my yard. That is scheduled Friday November 15. I am getting two six feet wide x 6 feet high gates.

I will need to build a shed to hold my tractor and trailer and a place to maintain it. So with my 12 feet wide gates, a concrete delivery truck can back in and pour me a foundation.

In normal use I will need open only one gate to get out. I will need to drive around the corner on the road to get to and mow my front yard. For now I will park them beneath my deck where I used to keep my walk-behinds.

A couple days ago I told the car guy to take his toys home with him. He was unhappy and tried to argue but I am done. I had no idea he had SO MUCH in my yard, he has it all crammed in his front yard, more than cars and trucks, a two axle flat bed trailer overflowing with stuff and a bunch of cast off furniture.

Once the gate is in John Deere will deliver my new toys and the truck driver will teach me how to start and drive it. Push the levers ahead to go forward pull back to go in reverse. Push one lever forward and one back to go around in circles. There are no service brakes it has a parking brake. The twin blades rotary mower cuts a 42 inches wide swath. It has a California CARB - California Air Resources Board - compliant 12 volt electric start, electronic fuel injection, full oil pressure, automotive type screw on oil and fuel filters 750 cc 22 HP v-twin Kawasaki gasoline engine.

The State of California has spent a LOT of money in perhaps the past ten years improving CalFire the State Fire Service. Wealthy San Diego County, that happens to own the Port of San Diego, has spent big bucks upgrading the county fire services. The first thing they did was get everyone on the same radio channels. Now statewide ALL fire departments (and Police Departments) monitor one channel.

In 1993 a fire that began inland was finally contained, only after it had burned out a portion of Laguna Beach, when the fire reached the Pacific Ocean.

http://www.light-headed.com/asite/laguna/laguna_history/laguna_beach_fire.php

That way everyone knows what is going on. And of course being able to talk to each other is a good thing. New fire stations have been built and provided with state of the art fire fighting vehicles by both the state and county. The county owns two and SDG&E owns two water or red fire retardant capable twin rotor sky crane helicopters with built in tanks - helitankers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_firefighting

The north border of Vista is the south border of US Marine Corp base Camp Pendleton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Base_Camp_Pendleton

MCRD Marine Corp Recruit Depot

https://www.mcrdsd.marines.mil/

Is located adjacent to San Diego airport. Four times a year MCRD graduates a class. All of them are loaded onto US Navy Amphibious Assault ships in San Diego that sail north off Camp Pendleton where they stage an amphibious assault. Using tilt rotor fixed wing aircraft, air cushion vehicles, landing craft, swimming battle tanks and helicopters. There are large athletic field type aluminum bleachers on top of the cliff overlooking the beach below. The recruit's families are invited to witness the assault.

Some Marine Corp helicopters have a hook attached on the bottom of the fuselage to pick up water buckets named Bambi Buckets that they can dump on fires. Camp Pendleton has a LOT of brush fires, ignited when they are playing with guns and cannons. The Marine Corp readily makes these helo's available to help fight off base civilian fires in this area.

Camp Pendleton has a huge railroad marshalling yard, a ships port, and an airport. When the Marine's were being deployed to the middle-east for Gulf War One, they had a miles long string of motor vehicles being loaded onto ships, lined up on the west shoulder of Interstate Highway 5. Ground and air assets are based on Camp Pendleton.

In the old days when someone reported a rural brush fire a single 6-wheel drive Brush Truck with two fire fighters was dispatched. Now when a fire is reported EVERYONE within a geographic area rolls, including helicopter and fixed wing aircraft. We are talking ALL fires here - a structure fire can start a wild vegetation fire, so EVERYONE rolls. Limiting the fire spread and putting it out as fast as possible is now the norm throughout the county.

Last night a building exploded in Oceanside it was extinguished in 45 minutes. Literally every fire station in service within a certain distance rolls everything. It is a LOT less expensive than a devastating fire. City cops, San Diego County Sheriffs and CHP block off the streets and highways keeping the public safely away allowing the fire service to work unimpeded. Don't worry the local news choppers will all dash over there and begin broadcasting it live. It is a LOT easier to put out a little fire than a big one. I am impressed.

I am sure you all have heard that California is inhabited with fruits and nuts which is true. Pretty much the bulk of California folks volunteer doing something. People are striving to improve conditions for all facets of our area. We have a huge homeless population throughout the state. If you were homeless where would you rather live Minnesota or California? Things happen in fits and starts.

Many 'homeless' have recreational vehicles that they park on residential streets. Many homeless live quietly and neatly, others do not, spoiling it for everyone. Laws have been enacted forbidding this parking then dropped only to be enacted again. It is a problem.

Santa Barbara County started using ride sharing parking lots located adjacent to freeway on and off ramps. Typically they are virtually deserted at night while packed during the day. So daily homeless RV's can check in around sunset but need be gone by breakfast. It seems to be going well and is spreading around the area. Local Police agencies provide onsite security.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Legislature

The California State Legislature is a bicameral state legislature consisting of a lower house, the California State Assembly, with 80 members; and an upper house, the California State Senate, with 40 members. Both houses of the Legislature convene at the California State Capitol in Sacramento. The California state Legislature is one of just ten full-time state legislatures in the United States.

The Democratic Party currently holds supermajorities in both houses of the California State Legislature. The Assembly consists of 61 Democrats and 18 Republicans, with one vacancy, while the Senate is composed of 29 Democrats and 11 Republicans. Except for a brief period from 1995 to 1996, the Assembly has been in Democratic hands since the 1970 election. The Senate, meanwhile, has been under continuous Democratic control since 1970.

Unquote

You can think what you want but check out the history of the US and tell me which political party began social programs that benefited ALL Americans. We now have ranked choice voting for primary elections. The top two winners campaign against each other regardless of political affiliation. Meaning mostly a pair of Democrats campaign against each other.

While I was sailing offshore prior to January 1972 we lived in Duluth, MN. I sailed mostly to 'Nam ten months a year 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1971. When I came home to Duluth for my sixty days July and August vacation. My MEBA Marine Engineers Beneficial Association Union leaned on me to give these poor Great Lakes engineers a vacation. Because they have to wait another four months before they get THEIR annual sixty days vacation aka winter. So in December 1971 we sold our house and moved out right after new years 1972.

We were driving a brand new with sixty miles 24 foot Ford F-600 U-Haul Box truck. I was told to press down hard on the gas pedal and hold it there. That will burn out the 45-MPH governor on the engine. Located between the carburetor and the manifold it worked by squishing down the fuel and airflow. Using engine vacuum it pushed a pair of stiff copper half round disks towards each other. I burnt it out in 100 miles. We were flat towing our stout 1971 International-Harvester four-wheel drive Scout.

First we rented a house near Beach Blvd and Adams Avenue in Huntington Beach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntington_Beach,_California

Driving down Beach Blvd spotted a real estate agent with a sign for house rental and stopped. Went and looked at the house then came back to the office and rented it. In a neat neighborhood of interesting people two miles east of the surf. There were weekend parties in the neighborhood. One fourth of July a guy had a timber floor flat bed truck so we nailed down a couple of old bicycles upside down and attached rockets to the bare wheel. Light off the rockets and the wheel went round and round as we paraded on the street.

After a year there we bought a house a mile and a half-closer to the beach. Walking to the beach was nice but we sometimes wished that we had said something sooner to our landlord, since when we did, he offered to sell us the house. We moved into a snooty neighborhood, where NO ONE never ever spoke to a neighbor, all ya got was a nasty glare.

Attached: z345m_ztrakmower.jpg (57.9 KB)

Greg Hayden
Vista, CA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SDG & E is now implementing TOU - Time of Use

PRICING PLANS BASED ON WHEN YOU USE ENERGY ARE NOW AVAILABLE.

On 02/27/2020, your pricing plan will change to a Time-of-Use plan (TOU-DR1), which rewards you for shifting energy use to lower-cost times, away from the on-peak hours of 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Based on analysis of the energy used in your home last year, you may be able to save on Time-of-Use plans if you can reduce your overall energy use and shift some of it to the lower-priced hours.

Unquote

SDG & E say that I paid $710 for my electricity use in 2019. By reducing my use and shifting some of it to different hours SDG & E forecast my cost to be $694 in 2020 on TOU.

Attached: New-SDGE-TOU-Rates.jpg

I noticed that they have changed what they originally forecast with weekends and holidays now being different schedules than Monday-Friday.

Yesterday I went over to Home Depot and bought some more LED light bulbs. Back in the day I lit my bedroom wing hallway with a 40 watts incandescent light bulb. That I replaced sometime back with a 27 watts CFL and now a 40 watts bulb that consumes 3.8 watts. There is every bit as much light with this 4 watts LED as the previous CFL and incandescent lamps. It cost me $41.96 for 3 each 40 watts LED replacements, 3 each 60 watts and 2 each 75 watts that I will be experimenting with in the near future.

February 27, 2020 I will automatically be switched to TOU-DR1 rates, but SDG & E has not yet published the actual monetary rates for each of the three daily usage periods. On-Peak, Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak.

Attached: New-SDGE-TOU-Rates.jpg (78.9 KB)

Greg Hayden

Attachments

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
29c/kWh?
I pay 13.54p which is about 17.7c (Gas is 2.89p (3.78c) /kWh)

I can't believe that energy is cheaper here than in the US.

·
Registered
355 Posts
29c/kWh?
I pay 13.54p which is about 17.7c (Gas is 2.89p (3.78c) /kWh)

I can't believe that energy is cheaper here than in the US.
It probably isn't Basil. Greg lives in California where 'things' are very different from most of the rest of the country. Here in rural Virginia, I pay much less than what he pays but after you add in all the miscellaneous fees and taxes, I pay 14 cents per KWH. But I do use an average of 1500KWH per month. As for gas, I don't have access to natural gas so have to rely on propane deliveries to feed my backup heating systems. Not something Greg has to worry about in So. Cal.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Attached:

SDG&E-TOU-DR1-Rates-Mon-Fri.jpg (37.7 KB)
SDG&E-TOU-DR1-Rates-Weekends-Holidays.jpg (34.3 KB)

These rates became effective February 27, 2020. Note that the per KWH cost goes up when one uses more than 130% of baseline. I have NEVER exceeded my 400 KWH baseline, the closest, once in the past year was 40 KWH beneath where the price goes up. So I will be paying the "lower"? prices! If I did my math correctly 130% of my 400 KWH baseline is 520 KWH?

SDG&E-Base-Line-400-KWH.jpg (51.2 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Attached three months on TOU. March and April I continued to do what I have done for years. Turn on my computer in the morning and let it run all day until shutting it off @ bedtime.

May I turned on the computer in the morning but shut it off @ 1200 and leave it off until the following morning. My March bill was $69, May $38.50.

My tower desktop computer pulls 40 watts, my Acer flat screen monitor pulls 40 watts, and my Visio TV pulls 40 watts. Peak time is 1600-2100 seven days a week. Usually during that time frame I now run one 17 Watts LED ceiling light, and, maybe my 40 watts TV + of course my automatic frost free refrigerator.

Attached: SDG&E-May-2020-E.jpg (50.2 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
April bill was $17 but that does not count since the April and October bills have a vast discount due to an environmental deal depending upon a percentage of my total bill.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SDG&E-June-2020.jpg

May bill was $38.50, June is $43.03. Understand that this is less than half what I was paying on the tiered rate. Now on the summer TOU midnight to 0600 is the off-peak period, mid peak is 0600-1600 and 2100-2400, 1600-2100 is peak and the most expensive @ $0.50 - ie fifty cents per KWH.

Of course with our usual May Gray and June Gloom weather, where the Pacific Ocean marine layer comes ashore at sunset and blankets us overnight and sometimes lasts all day, but usually is gone by noon. I have not used any air conditioning cooling.

My window A/C is sitting on its trolley, in front of the window where it will eventually spend the warmer months, ready to be slapped in when needed. Regardless my plan is to limit electrical usage during the peak hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Attached: 20200728-SDG&E-July-$60.92-E.jpg (51.6 KB)

Understand that I attempt to limit the amount of electricity I use during our daily 1600-2100 Peak electric rates. Of course this IS why SDG&E did this - to make electricity so expensive -$0.50 - 50 cents per kwh during a period of time to get people to cut down and thus avoid having to build additional generating capacity?

I started using my A/C July 2 and I put my Kill-A-Watt on it that now reads 52.88 KWH. Mostly I use the A/C @ night starting it after 2100 and letting it run all night set @ 70 shutting it off when I awaken in the morning. I am using the A/C to ensure a good nights sleep. A few days I ran it late morning and up to nearly 1600 before shutting it off. Lately I have run it from around 1400 set @ 60 to cool down this room before shutting it off before peak and that has worked out.

One day this month I was gone all day returning at 1800 to find it 90F in this room. I started the A/C and ran the temperature setting up to 85 - I was planning on making that 90 but I chickened out. That worked out okay as even @ 85 the A/C sucks the moisture out of my room making it reasonably comfortable.

I have a 3-speed 12-inch oscillating desk fan that uses 16 watts per hour on low speed that I sometimes use during Peak or other hours. @ Nearly $61 this is still about 2/3rds of what I have paid in the past - between $90 - $110.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
This ain't Utilities 101, this is a Batchelors Degree in Economics. And way above my pay grade, Electric Ireland sends me a bill every month and the Missus pays it. And the lights stay on.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
I have a 4.5kW solar panel installation on my roof and a battery pack in the garage capable of holding 9kWh of stored charge. An associated inverter supplies the house with electricity from that installation. Any surplus is fed into the National Grid.

The central heating is powered by an oil-fired boiler but at present is idle. There is no piped gas supply in the village so to power everything else in the house I have to use electricity - cooking, laundry, food storage, radio/TV reception, audio and communications equipment.

For the period 15 June 2020 to 14 July 2020 I had to supplement the output of the roof-top panels by purchasing a total of 5kWh of electricity from the National Grid. My electricity supplier's invoice must have cost more to generate than the value being charged.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My July bill here in sunny Alberta, no AC ever needed, was approx $180 of which only $20 is for power used and $150 for "fixed charges", transmission etc.
No incentive to consider solar alternatives here.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
August 14, 2020
It is HOT here daily high temperatures 100 - 110F.
Now at 1700 it has cooled down from 108 to 100F.
This heat wave is forecast to last through next Wendesday.

I have cardboard boxes of "stuff" I have collected over the decades.
I am now going through the boxes.
I have my workstation set up adjacent to my blue recycle wheelie-bin. Much of the stuff I find is of the paper variety and ends up in said blue bin.

Today I ran across this - attached -

Transerie-2042x1000-E.jpg

Another picture taken by Andy Anderson - Seatrain Lines port engineer. I have written about Andy on here before, and once upon a time, there were people on SN; those involved with the four ships mentioned below whom wrote of knowing Andy?

Seatrain Lines - Wikipedia
In 1971 Seatrain placed two new high-speed gas turbine-powered container ships in service on its transatlantic route, the German-built Euroliner and Eurofreighter. They were joined in 1972 by the Asialiner and Asiafreighter in anticipation of expanding its transpacific service. On August 17 of that year Seatrain, in partnership with the Penn Central and Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroads, also established a pioneering coast-to-coast land bridge rail container service between its U.S. East and West coast terminals, cutting up to 10 days off the transit time between Europe and the U.S. West coast and Asia.
Unquote

I TRIED to upload this picture on the NEW? SN but could not figure out how to do so?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ran the image through my Photoshop Illustrator Version 11, to make the file the smallest that I could, and after upload I saved the image and it was the same 65.87 KB that I uploaded.

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
GM KD, I am sure I was acquainted with Mr. Anderson as attending us at Weehawken.(Asialiner and Eurofreighter). Hardly counts as 'knowing' however.

(Now.There's a thing. When I tried to look at the photo I moved the cursor and hey presto an advert! My first on the converted SN (She has certainly passed the percentage modification to require adherence to the latest IMO rules).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joe Biden---_Sea-Bear_Federal-Delta_Mickey-Mitchell

Attached:
Joe-Biden-1967-Corvette-Convertible-1.jpg
Joe-Biden-1967-Corvette-Convertible-2.jpg
1-Pilot-Boat-Sea-Bear-E.jpg
2-Federal-Delta-E.jpg
Mickey-Mitchell-E.jpg

The story I read online was that Joe Biden Senior. Who owned a large Chevrolet automobile dealership - gave Joe Biden Jr and his new wife this 1967 Chevrolet Corvette as a wedding present. Joe Biden Jr has been the owner ever since, and he drives it as often as he can. Somewhere along the way Joe's adult son's got together and gifted Dad with an engine overhaul. The US Secret Service REALLY frowns on folks, whom they are sworn too protect, to drive themselves, anywhere.

-----
Purpose built in 1959 for New York Harbor pilots, Duluth's one and only Pilot Boat, 45 feet long and flies a U.S. flag named Sea Bear, leads the way with Federal Delta bringing up the rear.

The Sea Bear, (ex Narrows) was built in 1959 in Massachusetts for use as a pilot boat in New York. Ed Montgomery, at Sea Service, LLC, bought her and brought her to the Twin Ports in September 2002.

She was built for heavy duty and hazardous work with features such as a high bulwark for ocean seas, double spray rails, heavy-duty fendering and reinforced framing for ice breaking. Special pilot safety items such as the towable “Lifesling” recovery system, pilot over board hoist gear, area flood lighting, DSC / GPS distress electronics, pilot harness anchor clips and non-icing heated decks, all make the pilot’s hazardous job safer. And I might add any passenger's who happen to be on board, as I have been on several occasions.
Unquote
-----
Federal Delta with a Duluth based G-Tug - Great Lakes Towing - moving in to assist with docking. MOST offshore cargo ships do not have thrusters bow or stern. Those ships spend the bulk of their lives underway going somewhere and docking is not as frequent as it is with Great Lakes ships.

When I went to sea, offshore, it was the same, we used tugs when needed and available. Sometimes places we got into up narrow creeks could really use a tug. But there were none so we backed our single screw steamship out of there.

Federal Delta loading - according to Duluth press - wheat.
-----
I met Mickey Mitchell when we both were pushing pipe at Todd's Shipyard in San Pedro. Mickey had an ocean-going unlimited USCG Third-Mates-License. The reason we both were working in the yard was a recession that really hurt shipping. Mickey and I worked together for Quarterman Teddie Earmann (spelling? - sounds like.) Teddie was a short skinny pugnacious Brooklyn Jew, who always needed a shave, and kept a cigar that he chewed on, in the corner of his mouth. Retired after 30 years with the US Navy Brooklyn Shipyard. Where Teddie, who had begun at the bottom, rose to be in charge of the yard maintenance department.

Teddie, retired to SoCal, answered the call from Todd's and signed up as a Quarterman. With the charge to find out what the hell is wrong at Todd's. Teddie never did figure out a single 'who'. It seemed to be a collaborative bunch of incompetents who never spoke with each other.

I was involved with Teddie's first big find. That cost Todd's Boatloads of Money to correct. We were working on Hull 13 the fifth of five - named USNS Pacific Ocean -35,000 tons product tankers. All five were in the water. Teddie came along after I had the deck mainly complete except for permanent pipe hangers.

So Teddie enlisted me as an Instructor meaning I earned 25 cents an hour more for assuming some responsibility to get work done. It was easy we were a five men crew of mariners, two officers and three ratings. We each went our separate ways in the yard each day with an assignment to return with some pipe or fittings. Monday-Thursday we acquired everything we needed and had it placed at the job site - the bottom of a port wing tank. Friday when we went to assemble it we found the pipe was too long.

EVERYTHING was fabricated following the building plans.

I told Teddie and he came and looked. Teddie jumped right on it and soon learned that this problem HAD occurred on ALL four previous vessels. They just had the pipe shortened to fit.

Cause? Seems the bulkhead between the center tank and the starboard wing tanks were right where it belonged but the bulkhead from the center tank to the port wing tanks was three feet closer to the hull.

SO that bulkhead had to be MOVED that 3 feet on all five ships. And all of the first four re-piped once again per the plans.

Anyway, Mickey was a mid 40's Irish Man who emigrated to SoCal with his family when Mickey was 17. Mickey played some ancient Irish string instrument.

Found it.

The Irish Bouzouki is, in fact, a Celtic adaptation of a Greek instrument of a similar build. This instrument, often featured in Irish music groups, was first seen in the 1960s.
Unquote

Mickey, his wife and brood lived in Orange County as did Jan and me. Mickey was a multi-talented man that seemed to have different vision than most other people. Mickey seemed to look around and notice things that he believed he could turn into money. All he had to do was execute and Mickey was good at that. Mickey always had his hands in projects.

Anyway this 30-foot ex-US Navy Admirals Gig pictured. Mickey had been out helping a friend, the captain on a fishing boat, where the deckhand failed to show up so when telephoned Mickey filled in. They were returning to port and a US Navy Cruiser was roaring out of the port. So the fishing boat got as close as they could to the edge of the channel and the Cruiser did miss them but just after they passed this Gig fell off the Cruiser with a big splash and immediately sank.

Mickey had the fisherman maneuver his boat nearby. While Mickey readied his scuba-diving gear, that Mickey always carried with him, when he went aboard boats and ships. So Mickey pulls a self-inflatable balloon, with a loop on the end to tie a line, out of his dive pack. Bends on a line then drops overboard and goes down and buoys the boat.

At first Mickey thought the Navy would be happy but he never could find anyone that wanted to even talk about it. So Mickey conjures up a flat top barge and lashed down a crawler crane. His fisher friend provided tug services. They just went out there in daylight and acted like they knew what they were doing. Then left and went and stashed the boat in a Sunset Beach (pictured) boatyard. Still trying to give it back to the Navy.

Serial numbers of equipment pinned it down to a specific ship's Admirals Gig. This was the old-timey-gigs, where the admiral sat on an athwart-ship wooden seat just like everyone else; not those newer gigs with a little house at each end.

Mickey rebuilt the boat and its diesel engine, adding a small roofed shelter on the bow and another shelter on the stern - just a low roof to get out of the weather. Mickey painted the boat mostly US Navy Haze Gray with some black accents. Mickey and his wife and kids often invited Jan and I to cruise around SoCal with them. Mickey had built a tall fold down Bimini for people to get out of the sun. He also bolted down a Barber's chair back aft that Mickey got somewhere that was the boat driver's swivel seat.

-----

Monday August 17th I left 102F here @ 1600 and drove over to the coast where it was 77. Turning off my van air-conditioning and opening my windows I drove south on Pacific Coast Highway, also known as Highway 101. Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Cardiff by the Sea, Solana Beach, Del Mar, La Jolla, and, the northern reaches of the City of San Diego. MOST of the above listed towns and cities blend right into each other only the addition of welcoming signs delineate the borders.

Just past Torrey Pines golf course I turned around and came back north. It took me three hours for the about 65 miles round trip trek. Much of the route speed limits were in the 25-30-35 MPH ranges but some stretches were 40-45-50. It had been a LONG time since I drove this route.

EVERY town on the route was using these signs that cities use to advise drivers of situations. These tandem axle trailers are kept from rolling with sandbags placed ahead and behind the tires. That display several lines of large text on an electronic screen. Are solar powered with batteries on board for night use. They ALL said some variation on

Masks Required.

Though I noticed that very few folks going to or coming off beaches were masked.

1930 I went to Denny's over by Oceanside Harbor, where I had to sit outside to eat -- there is no indoor dining - Denny's has a complement of sturdy wooden tables and sturdy straight back uncomfortable wooden chairs. Well separated from each other beneath a few rental awnings. If/when I return I will bring my walker to sit on. I go to this restaurant since they have a large parking lot, that can and does support over the road eighteen wheelers.

They have both a handicapped ramp and a short flight of stairs both with sturdy handrails. Although it was noisy - a Chevron gas station on the east side and a Mobil gas station on the west side of the restaurant - and close to the I-5 freeway with on and off ramps both directions - I never noticed the noise inside before, but sure heard it outside.

So I got home @ 2100.

Attached:
1-Duluth-Pilot-Boat-Sea-Bear-E1.jpg
2-Federal-Delta-E.jpg
Joe-Biden-1967-Corvette-Convertible-1-E.jpg
Joe-Biden-1967-Corvette-Convertible-2-E.jpg
Mickey-Mitchell-E.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In reference to what I wrote in my first post of this thread: I was over to my bank today when I began to hear sirens coming from all over the place. My business concluded I left the bank to go to my wheels I stopped and watched as Vista Fire Department pumpers came from the south, west and north all passing in front of my bank headed east. There also was a pair of San Diego County Sheriff patrol cars and a Vista Fire Department ambulance. This is the first time I witnessed an actual response.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts