Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember the old sand martin, or have a pic? Capt was a john Campbell in those days. she had one of those awfull crossley two stroke diesels. very under powered. when we came out of the water on "Husbands slipway" I just couldnt believe how small the prop was! No wonder we always entered port "Dead slow" and when Capt rang down "Full astern" it seemed to last forever ...LOL

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the acknowledgement Bob. begining to think I imagined her ... LOL

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sand Martin ex 'Rookwood' finally classified to work within limits of Nab Tower to Needles, broken up in the 70's Last time I saw Capt Cambell,he wa Master on "Sand Weaver' around 1976

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that info Awateah. sailed with john Campbell twice.he lived dover at that time, guess he is retired now. used to have severalpics of sand boats, all lost in a divorce i'm afraid.. the greebe and the snipe were the most modern in my day. miss that engineroom on the martin though.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi, sailed on the Sand Snipe in 1963 when she was new, Captain Owens fom North Wales.I always remember the Bosun 'Benbow'. sailed with him later on in the Hoveringham IV. Sand Snipe has been completely re-built in Hayle, Cornwall, would love to see a photo of that.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha ha OLD BENBOW! what a charachter he was, think he sailed on most of the fleet. went ashore in southampton with him once, never again! still owes me a fiver from that venture ...LOL ever meet up with GUS, skipper of the runner in my day. came to the martin for a week to relieve John Campbell. delightful old boy with a very dry sense of humor. had a great week with him aboard.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sure thing, sailed with Gus Smith when on the Sand Lark, in fact bumped into him and accidently knocked him over as I was exiting the 'Ark' on the West Quay Ballast Wharf one forgettable evening !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
sand snipe

hi.
Just came across AUG THREAD on Sand Snipe I live 200yds from the quay here in HAYLE CORNWALL I do remember her being here about 4/5 years ago but sadly not for a rebuild but for scrap and scrapped she was but there is still a piece of her here her funnel in the garden of the person(Dave Williams sand merchant) who done the deed over-looking the harbour will try and get a pic if the rain will stop..ps he also scrapped the COED-LLANELLI a small suction dredger. ED

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
remember anchoring in plymouth sound during a bit of bad weather.me and the cook hitched a ride on the pilot boat ashore, while the skipper was sleeping, for more grub as we were out of it. Capt campbel very pleased with his breakfast next morning (no questions were asked) happy days indeed.spent many happy hours ashore in Falmouth, Plymouth, exmouth, shoreham and Newhaven with the old Martin. Yes! I would do it all again tomorow if possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was with South Coast Shipping, as it was then , for a few years, as deck

crew, in the `80s. Was on the "Serin," "Wader," "Weaver," and the small one

with the ear-splitting hydraulics. Can`t remember which one it was.It wasn`t

a job to everyones tastes, but I liked the way the watches worked, 8 on and

8 off, and the leave system with extra COL allowance was great.

Would I go back to it? Of course not.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
sand martin

Any of you sand dredger guys ever sail with, know or hear of an engineer called Sue North. Would have been in the late 70's I would think. What became of her I wonder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Duquesa,

The " Sand Serin " was the 2nd ship I was on with South Coast

Shipping, and Sue North was the 2nd Engineer. She ended up getting married

to the Chief on the "Sand Weaver." Of course, now for the life of me, I can`t

remember his name. I was on the "Weaver " a couple of years after they got

married, and Sue came on to the ship for a few days, simply as a passenger,

but that was the last I saw of her.

Incidently, when I was on the "Serin," we also had a

female 2nd mate. I can`t remember her name either, but she was married to

another Mate or 2nd Mate in the company. She had once worked on the sail

training ship, the "Winston Churchill."

As you can tell, at the age of 63, I`m now going completely

dippy. I always thought I was good at faces and names. Seems I`m not.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I did a couple of trips with South Coast shiping in the seventies. I was on the sand Wader, Weaver and Lark. I recall a skipper from down south but moved to either Harrogate or Ripon. There was a mate called Dave Maltby who I believe got promoted to master (I sailed with him previously on tugs) and a Welsh chap called John Francis (firery John) a very capable skipper in my opinion. I remember going for victuals to the local supermarket then a big argument would ensue as to whose turn it was to get the green shield stamps.
Ray Jordan

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sand Martin

Thanks for that Nelson. I do recall hearing now that she got married to a Chief on one of the dredgers. Took up chicken farming I gather! She was Sue "North" because she had been previously married to a Trinity House Colchester Pilot. She was a plucky girl. Trained by Volvo, she took part on the all female expedition to the Atrato swamp in S.America some years ago. She was their engineer and had to do some very physical work while out there. I hope she is well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Ray Jordon,
When I was on the "Wader," Dave Maltby was the mate, for

a couple of trips, if I remember right. A very quietly spoken feller, and good

to work with. I expect you`ll agree that the "Weaver" really was a nice ship

to be on. I couldn`t believe how good the accomodation was on her. The OM

on her for some of the time was Sandy Shaw. Another quietly spoken man.

I remembered the name of the female 2nd Mate we had on the "Serin," last

night. It was Jane something or other. At the time, South Coast offered her a

job back as A.B; as they had a surfeit of mates, I think, but she refused the

offer, and left the company.

Was it the "Lark" that had the screaming hydraulics, which meant

you did your 3 weeks completely without any sleep at all ?

Did you know Dave Sampson? He was O.M. when I joined the "Serin," and

later came on to the "Wader."

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The martin i can only describe as "primitive but effective". certainly underpowered (as were most of the fleet in those days) when fully loaded she need a fortnight to stop. the Crossley was reliable enough and i believe economical enough. remember when were out of the water on Husbands slip Southampton. My first sight of the Propeller was one of surprise...so small! No wonder we struggled round Start point at times! did many trips to Falmouth with her under John Campbel. Chief was Roy Driver in those days. Denis the bosun, paul smeaton AB. Nice easy ship to work with but the accomodation left a lot to be desired. Anyone come across a company chief called Young?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
sand martin

A bit off line but wasn't there a sand dredger called the Pen Avon around sometime in the 60's/70's?

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes there was the pen adur and the pen arun. My Late Father was mate on the Pen Adur in 1965. had a few days on her myself at that time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts