Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Saxonia

4 Water Tube Boilers at max pressure 605lbs (580lbs when superheated to 800degF). 2663tons oil fuel.

The boilers were built by John Brown & Co. But not sure if this was built in license by another firm?

Stephen

· Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Just picked up one item....

CARINTHIA. Name / Owner: CARINTHIA Cunard Line. .... Power: Foster Wheeler boilers providing steam for Pametrada geared turbines producing 44,000 shp,

So.... SAXONIA... if this information is as for CARINTHIA... Foster Wheeler.

You mentioned Babock & Wilcox... they were American built boilers... whould they would have been put into UK ships?

Stephen

· Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Thanks also for that info.

My initial boiler search seemed to best for Yarrow. Searching Cunard vessels there seemed to be most choice was for Yarrow... up to QUEEN MARY etc. Seemed a logical choice.... was not though.

Have another question re the SAXONIA. My easiest way to find number boilers for these 4 SAXONIA sisters... check the dome on the funnel.... can easily see four uptakes. (Not exactly 'technical'!) There were other internet and books info that mention four boilers BUT.... 1990 Lloyds Register I could find DAWN PRINCESS and FAIR PRINCESS says the ships have THREE boilers, not four. Boilers say John Brown on Clydebank.... that was listed, no problem, but why 3? I am thinking that perhaps one boiler was replaced during rebuilt forr Sitmar... unlikely?

Stephen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.