Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a phone call informing me "Owing to fraudulent practices your 'Sky services will be suspended until further notice". "If you wish to contest this decision press'1'...

I reckon it's a scam; anyone else had the call?

·
King Ratt
1,955 Posts
My call a few days ago was to inform me that my Tok tok would be disconnected. My wife received a similar call a day later. We are still connected. I don’t answer but leave the phone ( landline) off the hook for a good ten mins or so. Then I dial my own number to clear the line . Loads of these thieving Ayrabs around just now chancing their hand.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My call a few days ago was to inform me that my Tok tok would be disconnected. My wife received a similar call a day later. We are still connected. I don’t answer but leave the phone ( landline) off the hook for a good ten mins or so. Then I dial my own number to clear the line . Loads of these thieving Ayrabs around just now chancing their hand.
Thanks KR, I just put the phone down..As you say there's a lot of stuff about and I'm sure it works enough times to make it worth their while..

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
The calls are completely random - scatter gun tactics.
Others include:
Amazon Prime have taken money from your account - Amazon do not know customers' phone numbers so will not ring you.
British Telecom are disconnecting your line - Could be slightly worrying if you are a customer, but again they don't work that way.

Just type the calling number in your search engine and see what pops up, usually some interesting feedback.

I have read that when you press 1, or whatever, you will be connected to a premium rate line - You pay to speak to them so that they can follow up the full scam. I have no idea whether this is correct because I have no intention of testing it.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
I have in the past answered the Phone by saying (Name of my Town) and informing the them they have reached the police department and can I help you)
You can hear the phone drop like a hot potato.
Now I have call blocker so its cut my Robot call almost to none.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I had a pop-up allegedly from BT saying I had won a prize as a loyal customer. I am with BT Internet, but the prize was in the order of a Galaxy I-Phone. BT are not known for generosity. More significantly it had the old multi-coloured globe logo, not the new bland encircled BT

Be careful our there.

David

+

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Had several calls pretending to be from VISA credit card to tell me there had been unautherised withdrawals and to confirm by supplying infirmation.
I don't have a visa card so string them along and waste their time until I get tired of the game. I believe that are in Mumbi so get them to talk about the weather etc.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had 2 last week. Did not answer it went onto my voice mail. Stated that my internet was being closed due to ill legal activity. One came from a mobile other a land line. I contacted my Internet provider with both numbers. They came back withthey would try and block them from using their lines.They were scams !!

Alan

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've found that if you pick up the phone but don't say anything the line will disconnect in a couple of seconds if it's a scammer ( I think the computer generated call only connects the call to an operator if it detects voice ) If it's a genuine call the caller will always say "hello" when they don't hear anything.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ive also had amazon prime ring to say that my account will be debited,I dont have it,did report it to amazon.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of my favourites was, whilst staying with an elderly (even older than I) friend, she received a call saying they were from microsoft and had detected a serious problem with her computer...

She doesn't own one!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Being quite----

----sophisticated(*)) I will listen patiently whilst the 'furriner' goes into his spiel about how 'death-and-destruction' is about to fall on my computer or bank-account if I don't follow his instructions.

I then ask, "Do you understand English completely?". When they answer "Yes", my response is, "Then I suggest you just f-off!".

Surprisingly the call is then terminated!

Childish? Certainly! However it gives me a little frisson of juvenile glee to have thwarted one of those irritating callers.(LOL) Phil

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Quite right Phil, however you have not quite hit their nail squarely until they 'phone again with "you vellybastard, vellybastard".

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just had a phone call informing me "Owing to fraudulent practices your 'Sky services will be suspended until further notice". "If you wish to contest this decision press'1'...

I reckon it's a scam; anyone else had the call?
yep just now get them all the time havnt had one from the pool for a while

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
My. Favourite reply once was to say "speak English please "
They reply "I am speaking English "
I say "please speak English " and on and on.
I must hurt their linguistic pride if nothing else

Bob

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
All our calls for ages have been recordings. They seem to come in clumps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts