Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can any one help with info on the schooner 'Robert Drake' coasting Ardrossan Scotland. Also like to know if Peter or Archibald Taylor was a member of the crew around about the year 1861.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Robert Drape a sad story of losses at sea

Robert Drape was my great great great grandfather.
his daughter Annie Drape Williams / Cook of Ardrossan) married :

1.(in 1852) Owen Jones Williams ( believed to be a master mariner ) from Amlwch by whom she had 3 children Robert Drape Williams, Margaret Williams ( my great Grandmother) and Owen Jones Williams junior born posthumously after his father it seem was lost in the Bay of Bengal on or about 24 June 1857

2. James Cook of Ardrossan
he was a widower with a son John Cook born 24 07 1855 who died with a number of others on 04 02 1893 by drowning on SS Pomeranian (He was second officer) in the Atlantic -I have two newspaper articles and a Hansard report . I believe this to be the same ship that was torpedoed in Lyme Bay in 1918

James and Annie went on to have a son James , known as Jimmy ( born 1861 died 1930) who became a shipping Clerk

according to family records James senior died in the Bay of Biscay , drowning , "off the Schooner Robert Drape" on 30 November 1862.

So poor old great great grandmama who survived to her 96th year dying in the same house that she had lived in in Ardrossan, lost two husbands and a stepson to the sea.

As to the Robert Drape I see she was only launched in 1860 with James Cook, Ardrossan and James Nicol, Arran, Bute as owners ( sold 1870 to one Vignall of Fleetwood).

so it looks like:
a) the ship was named after its joint owner/master's father in law -? did he put up some money?
b) James went overboard in Biscay only 2 years later
c) the ship had bad luck later when , according to the Glasgow Herald
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...4jFEAAAAIBAJ&sjid=j7EMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6496,904464
Capt Montgomerie took abord a couple and their 6 children at Algiers en route for London and 4 of the children dies during the voyage

I would like to find out more about

(A ) the death of OJ Williams' ( I have a framed picture of him ) in the Bay of Biscay - where do I start?
(B) the ownership and crew of the Robert Drape and how its master James Cook came to drown

(C) anyone who thinks they might be related to any of this family ( I am searching on genealogical websites as well

Gordon L

Hello,
I think you will find the name of the vessel is ROBERT DRAPE official number 26989, 99 tons built in Irvine 1860, registered in Ardrossen owned and skippered by J Cook, later transfered to Fleetwood. She was abandoned in December 1879.
You should be able to obtain her 1861 Crew Agreements by completing this form.
http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/crew-lists-agreements-and-official-logs-request-form

regards
Roger

·
Registered
1 Posts
Robert Drape a sad story of losses at sea

Robert Drape
was my great great great grandfather.
his daughter Annie Drape Williams / Cook of Ardrossan) married :

1.(in 1852) Owen Jones Williams ( believed to be a master mariner ) from Amlwch by whom she had 3 children Robert Drape Williams, Margaret Williams ( my great Grandmother) and Owen Jones Williams junior born posthumously after his father it seem was lost in the Bay of Bengal on or about 24 June 1857

2. James Cook of Ardrossan
he was a widower with a son John Cook born 24 07 1855 who died with a number of others on 04 02 1893 by drowning on SS Pomeranian (He was second officer) in the Atlantic -I have two newspaper articles and a Hansard report . I believe this to be the same ship that was torpedoed in Lyme Bay in 1918

James and Annie went on to have a son James , known as Jimmy ( born 1861 died 1930) who became a shipping Clerk

according to family records James senior died in the Bay of Biscay , drowning , "off the Schooner Robert Drape" on 30 November 1862.

So poor old great great grandmama who survived to her 96th year dying in the same house that she had lived in in Ardrossan, lost two husbands and a stepson to the sea.

As to the Robert Drape I see she was only launched in 1860 with James Cook, Ardrossan and James Nicol, Arran, Bute as owners ( sold 1870 to one Vignall of Fleetwood).

so it looks like:
a) the ship was named after its joint owner/master's father in law -? did he put up some money?
b) James went overboard in Biscay only 2 years later
c) the ship had bad luck later when , according to the Glasgow Herald
The Glasgow Herald - Google News Archive Search
Capt Montgomerie took abord a couple and their 6 children at Algiers en route for London and 4 of the children dies during the voyage

I would like to find out more about

(A ) the death of OJ Williams' ( I have a framed picture of him ) in the Bay of Biscay - where do I start?
(B) the ownership and crew of the Robert Drape and how its master James Cook came to drown

(C) anyone who thinks they might be related to any of this family ( I am searching on genealogical websites as well

Gordon L
Hi Gordon,

Robert Drape was my 4x great-uncle. His brother, John Drape, was my 4x great-grandfather.

You've likely already read the article from the 26th May 1860 about the launch of the Robert Drape.

"LAUNCH - The schooner built by Mr. Murchie, Irvine, and purchased by Captain Cook, Ardrossan, and Mr. James Nicol, Arran, was launched on Thursday last. There was a considerable number present, and shortly after two o'clock, Miss Cook, sister of the master, performed the ceremony of breaking the bottle, naming the schooner "Robert Drape," in honour of our excellent townsman, ex-baillie Drape. As she glided into the water three cheers were given, all gratified at the easy way in which she glided into her native element. After the launch a large party repaired to the Fullarton Arms' Inn, where they partook of a sumptuous dinner provided by Mr. Wylie. Hugh Conn, Esq., occupied the chair, Lewis Fullerton, Esq., acting as croupier. The prosperity of the schooner was given with all the honours. In the evening the schooner was towed over to Ardrossan to be fitted out by Mr. Russell, shipbuilder."
I've enjoyed reading your comment, and have added the family members to my family tree on Ancestry. From working out the generations and fitting in your relatives, I've worked out that we are 5th cousins 1x removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts