Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a photo of the Scottish Eagle, built on Tyneside in 1952. I have tried the internet but can only find the new eagle built in 1978. Thanks in advance. In any case it is about time a posting was put on the Clan Line section!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Scottish Eagle

Hi Banni
“Scottish Eagle” Thompson Steam Shipping Company.
Built by: Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd.
Sorry about the quality of the posting
Ron

Attachments

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
Aldinga said:
Hi Banni
“Scottish Eagle”
Sorry about the quality of the posting
Ron
Is it a scan from a newspaper ?

Any idea where the pic was taken ?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Scottish Eagle

Hi Andy
It was a scan from a photo in Volume I 1952 "Adlard Coles" excellent series "Merchant Ships World Built" of which there are eighteen volume's, one for each year from 1952 to 1970.

Ron

·
Registered
442 Posts
Built by Swan Hunters, Wallsend in 1952, 15,660 DWT.Doxford engine also by Swans.

I think the picture could have been taken in Sydney, Circular Quay, with the old tramsheds in the background. This site was later used for the Opera House.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello Mac
I agree with you, it certainly looks like Bennalong Point just out from Circular Quay, Sydney. Spent some time there in mid 1960’s as a rigger when they where building the Opera House.

Ron

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
Aldinga said:
Hi Andy
It was a scan from a photo in Volume I 1952 "Adlard Coles" excellent series "Merchant Ships World Built" of which there are eighteen volume's, one for each year from 1952 to 1970.

Ron
Hi Ron ...

Thanks for this.

As an aside, I always find it a bit frustrating when pics are published (anywhere, not just on SN !) with no form of attribution to photographer, date, location etc

Rant over !

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
442 Posts
Aldinga

This looks to me as I remember it from 1958/59 before they cleared the land for the opera house construction.

·
Super Moderator
6,626 Posts
Banni, attached is a copy of the "Scottish Eagle". Taken from a card of the same which is for sale on E-bay.
Came across it this morning. If you are interested go in and search under postcards/Transportation and you will find it.
Regards
Hawkey01

1 - 12 of 12 Posts