Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who gets rather p1ssed-off when a person selling something to do with the oggin on that TV programme 'Flog it' will show a picture of 'My great grandfather who was a sea-captain'.

Never a picture of a Chief Engineer, Mate, etc. etc. ALWAYS a 'Sea Captain'. Why?

Another rant from Deepest Yorkshire! Phil

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Oddly enough Phil I was wondering where all these Captain for 40 years worked,they all seem to bring home the same mementoes!
geoff

·
Registered
895 Posts
Am I the only one who gets rather p1ssed-off when a person selling something to do with the oggin on that TV programme 'Flog it' will show a picture of 'My great grandfather who was a sea-captain'.

Never a picture of a Chief Engineer, Mate, etc. etc. ALWAYS a 'Sea Captain'. Why?

Another rant from Deepest Yorkshire! Phil
Eeh Bah Gum Phil lad, must admit I've never seen many pistons or bearings on Flog It.

Usual objects sextants, telescopes, compasses etc, so seems everyone thinks their forebear must have been a Cap'n, where-as could have been an engineer with an unusual hobby.

Then again, not many engineers on sailing ships (==D)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was with----

Eeh Bah Gum Phil lad, must admit I've never seen many pistons or bearings on Flog It.

Usual objects sextants, telescopes, compasses etc, so seems everyone thinks their forebear must have been a Cap'n, where-as could have been an engineer with an unusual hobby.

Then again, not many engineers on sailing ships (==D)
----one skipper who was a brilliant 'knitter'!

He knitted the most intricate jumpers which would have, I'm sure, won many a 1st. Prize at any Women's Institute competition.

My own 'time-passer' was making cannons which I made 'fireable' by drilling the barrels with a brand-new 3/8" drill.

I drilled the touch-hole with a 1/16" drill.

The 'charge' I made from crushed-up match-heads and 'fired' the charge with a heated sewing needle.

They would 'fire' the ball-bearing but not with much 'energy' as the match-heads weren't much of a propellant.

I got the chippy to make the 'woodwork' the barrel was mounted on and, though I say it myself, they were quite good.

Stupidly I gave every one I made away! Phil.

Swing that lamp-----we're off!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
#6 My main hobby, apart from photography at that time was colouring Black and White photographs which the crew brought me. I had books of special photographic paints and gold leaf and camel hair brushes, the best available at that time. They used to bring me their B & W wedding photos, which were sent out by their wives, the responsibility of not cocking them up was greater than navigating the ship

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
My seaboard hobby was putting ships into cluster bulbs...A bit of blue putty at the bottom, a sailing ship and a lighthouse (on brown putty) fitted with a torch bulb and wired so a clockwork pawl would get it to 'flash'...

I've still got one in the loft somewhere.

·
Registered
339 Posts
#6 My main hobby, apart from photography at that time was colouring Black and White photographs which the crew brought me. I had books of special photographic paints and gold leaf and camel hair brushes, the best available at that time. They used to bring me their B & W wedding photos, which were sent out by their wives, the responsibility of not cocking them up was greater than navigating the ship
Didn't have time for a hobby when I was at sea.
I was too busy doing my job!!

Regards Phil (Jester)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Didn't have time for a hobby when I was at sea.
I was too busy doing my job!!

Regards Phil (Jester)
Well Phil, you must have been piss poor at it, if it took you all day (==D) (LOL)

or perhaps you didn't do long ocean passages or spend days/weeks at anchor, a lot I sailed with their hobby was their bunk!

As Kenny Everett would say, 'All said in the best possible taste'

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well Phil, you must have been piss poor at it, if it took you all day (==D) (LOL)

or perhaps you didn't do long ocean passages or spend days/weeks at anchor, a lot I sailed with their hobby was their bunk!

As Kenny Everett would say, 'All said in the best possible taste'
Three months swinging on the hook trapped in the Bitter Lakes.
Does that count Ivan ?.

And as the catering crowd were the only ones there with a proper job, yes, it did take me all day.
Everyone else had knocked off by lunchtime and were away in the lifeboat visiting other ships but the catering crowd soldiered on.

Did spend a fair amount of time in my bunk though.

Maybe I should have found time for another hobby!!

Regards Phil (Jester)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Multiply and-----

and why is it always Deepest Yorkshire, when I reckon if I opened the front door and shouted you would hear me, and we get mail 6 times a week?
----and go forth you cheeky varmint!

Look on a map, (that's what you deck-folk would call a chart), and you'll see SB ain't far from being in t' middle of Yorkshire.
The deepest part of an Ocean, or Sea, is usually reckoned as t' 'middle' so, using poetic licence and referring to SB as being in 'Deepest Yorkshire' is about reet.

How's about this fer an idea? Get tha gob out of t' front door, give us a shout and ah'll see if I CAN hear thee. (Tha must let me know when tha's going t' do it a' course as t' neighbours will think tha's gone daft hangin' out of t' door bellerin' n' shouting.

You say 'you get mail six times a week'. Me too! Plus I get it and t' Express on Sunday!! Ya can't beat settling-down wi' t' papers every day can tha'? Phil(Thumb)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts