Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there really a cure for seasickness,I tried loads of stuff,even the wrist bands you put on wrists (the P6 acupressure points),,the cure I got was,,terra firma.(Cloud)

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
Is there really a cure for seasickness,I tried loads of stuff,even the wrist bands you put on wrists (the P6 acupressure points),,the cure I got was,,terra firma.(Cloud)

Plenty of them... and they work.

Bonine, Stugerune, Dramaine

They all work but you must start BEFORE you board. If it too late and you get sick then the major shot from the Doc will fix you up... and you will knocked out for 24 hours.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Fortunately, for me, no matter the sea state, or vessel size, I never suffered "Mal de mer"

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Never suffered from sea sickness even in some huge trans Tasman storms but hit an air pocket in flight and I get the sick bag ready. I put it down to more ease and confidence afloat than airborne.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
In my time there were two sure-fire cures for seasickness. One was a spoonful of strawberry jam which, if it didn't always work, tasted just as nice coming up as it did going down. The other was swallowing a piece of fat pork on a string, with the string tied to a guardrail -- if it didn't work the first time it could be re-used. (Thumb)

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
" as nice coming up as it did going down"

T'were pineapple chunks in my day.

The string and bacon must have been across the board.

😁

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sea sickness

I dont know if they are still available,but I found
DRAMAMINE very...very good.Most motion sickness
pill must be taken prior to you getting on board,but these
could be taken at the first sign of sickness,if my memory
serves me right,I think that they were American made.
Dave Williams.

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
I never suffered from seasickness in my time deep sea, even on 2,000 tonne coasters in the North and Irish seas -- with one exception. I was on an Irish ferry to Rosslare to join a ship in Cobh and, as always, I elected to spend the trip in the bar that was empty as a result of the weather. The guy manning the bar was a steward off one of my earlier ships, and after a couple of beers I started to feel queasy. He found that hilarious of course -- senior second on his last ship getting seasick on a ruddy ferry! :sweat:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I was "sea-sick"----

----just the once. That is if you could really call it "sea sick".

I had joined Brock's 'Maskeliya' in Tilbury, then on to Avonmouth, Liverpool, and Glasgow before going round-the-top to Verolme dry-dock in Antwerp.

We were in a near flat-calm as we steamed toward Avonmouth and I was in the saloon having my mid-day meal. I was facing for'd and was watching the bow rising and falling, VERY gently, in a near flat-calm and suddenly thought, "I'm going to be sick!".

Excused myself, went down the alley-way to the Engineers bog, knelt-over the carzy, threw a tiny-amount of stomach content into the bowl and thought, "You've been sea-sick so you're a proper seaman now!". Went back to the saloon and finished my meal.

THAT was the one-and-only time I was "sea-sick", (if my lame effort could be called "sea-sick"!!), and I've been in some REAL hooley's in the North Atlantic in Winter. Phil

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Sea or motion sickness is usually caused by the middle ear. It basically sends different signals to your brain from what your eyes are seeing due to confusing messages causing some people to feel sick. We always advised people to stand on deck looking straight ahead at the horizon, not the waves. We also gave sedatives to those affected.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks

Sea or motion sickness is usually caused by the middle ear. It basically sends different signals to your brain from what your eyes are seeing due to confusing messages causing some people to feel sick. We always advised people to stand on deck looking straight ahead at the horizon, not the waves. We also gave sedatives to those affected.
I found being on deck helped,but as soon as I entered accommodation,,belly went (Cloud)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts