Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Does anyone remember a club or bar just down the road from Tilbury Docks?
I can't remember any name but I was on the Markhor 1971 and went down there
at night after a few Tennents. I recall that it was full of the local young ladies
and the favourite song in those days was Petula Clark singing " Sailor".
Good chance to get up and have a slow dance( if you could still stand up!)
Happy Days
Ray

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi All,

at night after a few Tennents. I recall that it was full of the local young ladies
Happy Days
Ray
Ten years after my time, Ray. But it's good you recall such days. In 1971 I was well into a new career, working in TV studios as a videotape engineer and editor.
Great to see a new post on the Brock forum - it has been so quiet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

Happy Days
Ray
I served on the markhor in 1974 as ships carpenter I remember Tilbury well the pub outside the railway station was called the railway and further down was the seaman's mission I remember purser was Alan Willis captain was Pembridge nice fellow good days

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm pretty sure i've been in that Railway pub a couple of times late 70's and frequented the Stella Maris loads,they used to have some girls in on a Saturday night i think to dance with...was a good place back in the day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I served on the markhor in 1974 as ships carpenter I remember Tilbury well the pub outside the railway station was called the railway and further down was the seaman's mission I remember purser was Alan Willis captain was Pembridge nice fellow good days
Hi Tony,
You may well be right it probably was the seaman's mission, especially with the Petula Clark song " Sailor".
Can't remember too much. Fred Thomson was Purser and he stopped my tap with whisky. Great guy ex army
and always telling me stories about Malaya during the 1950's.Sadly he has gone.
I tried to google the seaman's mission but no luck.
Sorry to say I can't remember the the name of the chippy when I was on the Markhor but he was another great guy,I think that he came from Ipswich.

Cheers Ray

·
Registered
965 Posts
In the early 70's there were two clubs in Tilbury, there was a Missions to Seaman (Flying Angel) and a Stella Maris.
They were both popular. I think it was probably the Stella Maris that the local girls used to frequent, the priest in charge was keen on karate and would regularly throw out anyone that misbehaved.
Was in Tilbury several times loading general in the early 70's, would be there for weeks. Was robbed in Tilbury!

regards
Dave

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm pretty sure i've been in that Railway pub a couple of times late 70's and frequented the Stella Maris loads,they used to have some girls in on a Saturday night i think to dance with...was a good place back in the day.
There was a bar behind the landing stage which was called "The Bomb Crater". Had a few headaches out of there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ten years after my time, Ray. But it's good you recall such days. In 1971 I was well into a new career, working in TV studios as a videotape engineer and editor.
Great to see a new post on the Brock forum - it has been so quiet.
Hi Tony,
You may well be right it probably was the seaman's mission, especially with the Petula Clark song " Sailor".
Can't remember too much. Fred Thomson was Purser and he stopped my tap with whisky. Great guy ex army
and always telling me stories about Malaya during the 1950's.Sadly he has gone.
I tried to google the seaman's mission but no luck.
Sorry to say I can't remember the the name of the chippy when I was on the Markhor but he was another great guy,I think that he came from Ipswich.

Cheers Ray
There was a bar behind the landing stage which was called "The Bomb Crater". Had a few headaches out of there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Happy Days
Ray
Yes Ray I have written before to you but it went astray. The Mission was named The Seamans Mission and for 2 shillings and six pence bed & breakfast.. the CLUB it was named "The Toot" every Saturday evening they put a beautiful stage show with lovely girl dancers, their opening number was "The Fleets in Port Again" I am now 90 yrs and remember very well, My Dad would give me 3 pence go out and wait for a chap on a bike and basket to come and sell Pigs Trotters, which I would take it back inside watch the show whilst eating my Trotter, I was I think about 7/8 yrs Reply if you get this.. Nobby Clark, [email protected],nz

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Ray I have written before to you but it went astray. The Mission was named The Seamans Mission and for 2 shillings and six pence bed & breakfast.. the CLUB it was named "The Toot" every Saturday evening they put a beautiful stage show with lovely girl dancers, their opening number was "The Fleets in Port Again" I am now 90 yrs and remember very well, My Dad would give me 3 pence go out and wait for a chap on a bike and basket to come and sell Pigs Trotters, which I would take it back inside watch the show whilst eating my Trotter, I was I think about 7/8 yrs Reply if you get this.. Nobby Clark, [email protected],nz
Have replied Nobby. Hope that you receive my email.
Cheers
Ray

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have replied Nobby. Hope that you receive my email.
Cheers
Ray
Hi poppy im68 now are you referring to the working man's club the toot n coming just behind the railway bar I was in Tilbury many times visiting the Stella maris and the toot good on a Saturday night I had 2 good friends who worked the docks in Tilbury when I was on the brockelbank ships I used to get them a curry tor a share of the cargo they lived in Canvey Island also remember a pub called the world's end

1 - 12 of 12 Posts