·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi All,
just finding my way round the new set up,
How do I search the Gallery?

regards
Dave
I’m with you there ! Old site, you’d just type in a vessel name and every picture posted of that vessel would come up. My research patterns are now down the drain.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Me too.
The ability to search the gallery, both broadly and in detail, is absolutely fundamental, please.

Reactions: wsrmb01

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi near top of home page.

There 3 pics of ships.
5 along.
You see the 3 dots.
(site navigation)
Click on it you will see gallery listed,
B/R Jim

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi near top of home page.

There 3 pics of ships.
5 along.
You see the 3 dots.
(site navigation)
Click on it you will see gallery listed,
B/R Jim
Hi Jim,
Iv'e got that OK but there does not appear to be a search facility.

best regards Dave

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
This is my first visit to the site since the upgrade and the gallery is always my first port of call.
Currently have two issues
1) I cannot find a method to search the gallery. I prefer to check previous photos before adding mine to check I am not duplicating photos.
2) Where possible I like to add some description or history of the vessel in the photo. Checking on the last photos I posted just prior to the upgrade I have noticed that much of the ships history has been LOST truncated down to 4 lines losing most of the history .
Is there a new rule stating how much descrption / information limiting how much text can be posted with a picture?
Example
As taken from site
KAETHE JOHANNA - IMO : 7522203
Built 1976, by Husumer Schiffswerft Inh.Gebr.Kroger GmbH & Co KG (Yard # 1443) as KAETHE JOHANNA
GRT : 1598 / DWT : 3900
Overall Length : 100.3 metres x Beam 14.6 metres.
Machinery : 1 Screw driven by a MaK Maschinenbau - 4 stroke single acting 6 cylinder
Details As posted originally
KAETHE JOHANNA - IMO : 7522203

Built 1976, by Husumer Schiffswerft Inh.Gebr.Kroger GmbH & Co KG (Yard # 1443) as KAETHE JOHANNA
GRT : 1598 / DWT : 3900
Overall Length : 100.3 metres x Beam 14.6 metres.
Machinery : 1 Screw driven by a MaK Maschinenbau - 4 stroke single acting 6 cylinder oil engine
Speed : 14.5 knots

History POR = Port of Registry
1976: KAETHE JOHANNA : ms "Kaethe Johanna" : POR Hamburg
1978: MANCHESTER TRADER : ms "Kaethe Johanna" : POR Hamburg
1980: KAETHE JOHANNA : ms "Kaethe Johanna" : POR Hamburg
1986: CORSAR : Albatros Verwaltungs GmbH : POR Limassol
1986: RUTH BORCHARD : Springsea Shipping Co Ltd : POR Limassol
1988: RUTH BORCHARD : Reederei Albatros GmbH & Co KG : POR Limassol
1990: RUTH BORCHARD : KG Vastham Reederei Albatros GmbH & Co: POR Limassol
1991: CORSAR : KG Vastham Reederei Albatros GmbH & Co: POR Limassol
1993: CARI SKY : KG Vastham Reederei Albatros GmbH & Co: POR Limassol
1995: CORSAIR : KG Vastham Reederei Albatros GmbH & Co: POR Limassol
1995: RIO YARUNI : Aquila Shipping Co Inc : POR Panama
1997: RIO YARUNI : Trident Shipping SA : POR Panama
2002: RIO YARUNI : Yaruni Shipping Inc : POR Panama
2006: LETFALLAH III : Sumaya Shipping Co : POR Freetown
2011: LETFALLAH III : Sumaya Shipping Co : POR Zanzibar
2015: ALBATROSS : Mednav Chart SAL : POR Lome
2017: ALBATROSS : Medmarine Shipping SA : POR Lome
2018: MOHAMMED S. : ?? : POR ??

2018 : Further history NOT KNOWN

KAETHE JOHANNA photographed on 20 May 1979 at Victoria Deep Water Terminal on the River Thames

Ship Details : Miramar - May 2020

·
Registered
253 Posts
They need to eat humble pie quickly and give us our lovely site back, just as it was. This is pimped up and too Modern, losing its charm. How did they forget , the most important bit, of the main gallery and the flowing comments and praise when a great picture goes up ? You can’t do the most basic thing of typing in a Ships name , to see every image of that vessel. Repeating myself , in frustration here !

·
Registered
234 Posts
I like to check new comments in the gallery first and that seems to have been deep sixed as well. Some of the most interesting threads are beneath photos rather than in the main forum.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Ive got over 20,000 post cards of ships and rolls of film.....can't even look at one picture on the site...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Basically I agree with all above, sorry but what was wrong with the time served old presentation and site for us old timers, to us the main contributors it ain't very 'user friendly' and very quickly turns off quite a few of us oldies, gives us a lot of stress.. !

·
Registered
24 Posts
@Admin.. A 'search' field for the Gallery should include being able to enter a TEXT field, e.g. a ships Name.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
The basic problem is that the software to which the site has now migrated (Xen) is a one size fits all forum. There are templates which probably suit other forums admirably but not the user base found here.
That is slightly strange because the developer team leader was the same person, working for different companies. Perhaps there's the rub - he could not make it too similar for legal reasons.
Maybe there is a work around, maybe that will cost money, maybe the users/members will be asked to 'contribute'. Wait and see.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
On the possitive side I like the simplier way of adding photos to the gallery along with the description but this revised method stiill has bugs.
1) Text limited to 4 lines removing much of the history on merchant ship entries.
2) No position for date photo was taken
3) No position for location of photo.
4) No position for photo source
Also on the possitive side I like the dark mode for the site much more relaxing on the eyes.
Regards, Tim

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
On the possitive side I like the simplier way of adding photos to the gallery along with the description but this revised method stiill has bugs.
1) Text limited to 4 lines removing much of the history on merchant ship entries.
2) No position for date photo was taken
3) No position for location of photo.
4) No position for photo source
Also on the possitive side I like the dark mode for the site much more relaxing on the eyes.
Regards, Tim
Agree with you, but I think an even more basic problem is that although it may have been necessary to bring the mechanics of the website up to snuff, the finished product was compiled by someone who has no knowledge of what the original SN was about or what the members want to get from it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts