Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
As a first tripper with Brocks I heard plenty of good stories telling me what a great place it was.
I never got to go there myself but if anyone has some great memories please let us know.
Cheers
Ray

·
Registered
738 Posts
A great place for a bit of relaxation when work permitted. I remember a group of us being taken to the other side of the island to go swimming in an enormous old American convertible car with a record player in the dash. The records were posted into a slot like we used to use for CDs in later years. It was great place for snorkelling. On one occasion I came face to face with a grouper whose mouth looked like a bucket full of teeth - I’m not ashamed to admit I turned tail and headed for the beach.
It was all very quaint with the Big Ben replica in Port Victoria and street lighting provided by hurricane lamps. I seem to recall also that mail service to/from Mahe was by a Catalina PBY flying boat.
Happy days.
gwzm

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was there in 1978 on the RFA Grey Rover. It is a beautiful place. I recall being anchored off not far from shore in Port Victoria fishing with a hand line which I purchased in the Suez canal and catching but not landing a huge fish that caught me by surprise and caused me to smack my wrist on a stanchion, needing a trip to hospital ashore. The people were friendly, and walking round the market one day I was approached by a man a Seychellois who had previously been employed in the RFA and had a good chat with him. I also recall the Catering officer purchasing for the ship a load of Red Snapper caught locally for the ship, which we in the galley duly filleted. The same fish was duly returned same day after the Catering officer was informed that reef caught fish were not fit for consumption for some reason. I had a great time there and thought it a paradise. So much so my first daughter was named Victoria. I have always wanted to return, but think it is beyond my budget.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Never went there on a ship but passed through on the way to London in 1973 when they opened up the airport for passenger jets. My memory of the approach was flying over what I thought was an RFA which looked as though it was laid up. It had covers over the funnel and various items on the upper deck. I have never been able to find out what it actually was.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I Flew out and joined a seismic survey ship in Victoria in November 78, I had only been back in the U.K. for a couple of days ( Having been on Hong Kong flag ships for the previous 18 months without coming home ) I had a phone call from a recruitment company with a good news bad news scenario. Good news we have a job for you. Bad news you have to fly out tonight. Good news it is doing seismic surveys around the Seychelles. It was a typical cold and miserable November so I was on a Air Seychelles flight that night. On arrival I was met by an agent and booked into a hotel for a couple of days and eventually joined the ship which spent the next two months surveying around the Islands. about once every 10 days the ship would berth for a 24 hour period in Victoria. All in all it was a great ship and a good job in a fantastic place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Never went there on a ship but passed through on the way to London in 1973 when they opened up the airport for passenger jets. My memory of the approach was flying over what I thought was an RFA which looked as though it was laid up. It had covers over the funnel and various items on the upper deck. I have never been able to find out what it actually was.
I suspect you are right, it did look like an old RFA but I have never been able to work out which one.
Probably either the RFA Dewdale or RFA Derwentdale (80,000 Ton tankers), or possibly the RFA Tidesurge. Both 'Dale boats had Seychelloise crews and used to spend a fortnight anchored there every 6 months, Sometimes a bit longer during crew changeovers. Was there myself about the time the airport was opened, and may have been on the vessel you saw. Spent much time there on various RFA vessels - even had a Seychelloise girlfriend

·
Registered
997 Posts
My first visit to Seychelles was as sprog on Mawana. Also anchored off was RFA (I think) Resurgent. We were invited across for a deck party one evening. I vividly remember being dragged out of my comfort zone by lady who insisted that we dance - as others were. I have a pair of horribly left feet, but at least I was slim to the point of being skinny so no real damage done to her feet. Next day a bunch of us went over the island to Beau Vallon beach. No airport or fancy hotels at that time. Two years later - 1969 - on Mahseer we carried Costains kit for building the airport, including a workboat "Cosaru Bay" as deck cargo. A year later on Makrana we loaded six or eight bods in Durban to take to Seychelles to survey for building hotels. Except Makrana broke down six hours out and returned to Durban. Mahout picked them up and took them to Seychelles. We got there a week or so later.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts