Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.
Does anyone have or know where I can get a photo of Jebsens Sharpness. Thios was the bulkie operating in the late 70s.
Many thanks. janathull

·
Registered
350 Posts
Havent seen any Pics of that yet,but will keep on looking.
This bit of info on her though.
From
Marine Casualty Database Southern African Coast
This list totals 35 Million tons of shipping from 1552 to 1984

Jul 1974 Sharpness Bulk Carrier 21,570 British Off Port Elizabeth

The only other ship of that name that i have come across is this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Pic of Jebsens Sharpnes here.

Type: Ship Sharpnes.

go down to no,3 Hauptuberschrift.

third pic on left, SHARPNES

Barney.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the response. The first photo is the pre sea training ship Vindicatrix at Sharpness which I went to in the summer of 65. The second photo is one of Jebsons but the wong one. The one I`m after had differant shaped accom and derricks instead of cranes. Thanks janathull

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sharpnes

Hi Janathull,

Have a look at the Foto-flite site - see link here - and scroll down to the next to last image (No.29). I think that's the one you want.

There must have been another Sharpnes built at some time or another with cranes, and as you've observed, with different accommodation.

The Sharpnes that you're looking for was 12982.17 GRT and her official number - 358926.

I sailed on her from 25.2.81 joining in Newcastle N.S.W. and paid off at Point Henry on 16.7.81.

Hope above helps.

Steve.
(Thumb)

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you every one, the photo is on fotoflite. I sailed on her in 78, a good job. Cheers janathull

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Janathull
I joined the SHARPNES In Shimizu Japan 25-05-73
& payed off in Hamburg 11-12-73.I will have to get
the photo myself of fotoflite.
Regards Artie

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I joined in Vancouver in March 78, loaded sulpher for someplace in China. The ship was fine but China was another story. Cheers janathull

·
Registered
8 Posts
Joined her I think it was May in 74 in Albany WA bound for Hamburg. Vessel broke down of Port Elizabeth,RSA and after a few days drifting we got a tow into CapeTown. Sandy Ritchie was master.
Sharpnes remained in CT until mid July when crankshaft was replaced and after trials was able to continue to Hamburg.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I believe some of the Jebsen S class bunkers were converted from derricks to cranes in the later 70s. I sailed on Swiftness and Sealnes and they had derricks and electric grabs. I got a photo from Photoflight of Swiftnes in the 80s and she had cranes By then. It was the same hull. I know Jebsens were also looking into making mods to the S class to accommodate containers too. Hope that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts