Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi anyone remember a small 1000 ton(approx) tanker M.V. Frenulina who I sailed on in 1961 around the Indonesian Islands (before Bali became a tourist trap), and the occasional trip to Singapore where she was laid up in early 1962. Thanks

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy ROBINJ,

Here a link to her

http://www.helderline.nl/?p=/ship_details.php?id=730

Grosvenor
GT:890 Len.:193 Beam:32 B'ldr:43 Comp.:1945
Coastal Tanker. MOWT.
1947 FRENULINA, Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1954 Rebuilt to 1041 g.t, 230ft.
1962 ANLOK, Teck Hwa Shipping Co, Panama.
1962 PERMINA VI, National Oil Co, Indonesia.
1974 BIMOLI 01, P.T.Bimoli, Indonesia

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shell's little Fs

> Hi anyone remember a small 1000 ton(approx) tanker M.V. Frenulina

In the early 1950s Shell had a number of little Fs. I can recall the Frenulina, Fossarus, Fossarina, Fusus and I think Ficus. Memory also links them with two ships still under the Empire name, the Empire Tesbury and the Empire Tescombe. All this is very much "scratching the head" stuff so I offer no guarantees !

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
[Robinj]I think there was the Fossularca and the Fusinus as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you're right. You are obviously better at head scratching than I am !

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frenulina

Hi, Robin.

Remember the Frenulina well....I was R/O in the Fusinus in 1961 and our paths crossed many times on the way to Benoa....remember the Benoa Yacht Club? The bar on stilts alongside the lagoon causeway? Good job they didn't have a Health & Safety Department in those days.

The bell of the Frenulina was is (?) in a bar on Orchard Road in Singapore.

Regards,
Tony

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Tony, Yeah remember the Fusinus well and the Benoa Yacht Club. It was amazing what a packet of lucky strike would get you. I see you also sailed with Houlders Ore Carriers too. Regards Robin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi anyone remember a small 1000 ton(approx) tanker M.V. Frenulina who I sailed on in 1961 around the Indonesian Islands (before Bali became a tourist trap), and the occasional trip to Singapore where she was laid up in early 1962. Thanks
2nd.Mate on 'Fossarina' 62/63. Joined at Balik Papan, Jonny Campkin Master, made myself popular when I asked if we should ring 'Full Ahead' after we cleared the channel, to be told we had been on full ahead since leaving the berth. At best she made about 8kts in good weather! But a good time all the same. Eastern Fleet small ships were a law to themselves. Great times.
Anyone remember to really shall ships, 'Lang','Kluang' and the rest. Any photos anywhere, particularily 'Lang' ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ahoy Tom,
Looking for these?
Just the thing,thanks. Are both photos Kluang? I've been looking for photos ;ike these for ages, as I fancy building a model of Lang as I was Mate on her 1n 1962 under Basil(?) Wheeler then Bob Woods. At that time Jef.Cush was master on Kluang. Have you any more photos?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Tom. Remember the Fossarins. Fusinus, Fossularca, and the Rita among others all around the Indonesian Islands.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Lang

Just the thing,thanks. Are both photos Kluang? I've been looking for photos ;ike these for ages, as I fancy building a model of Lang as I was Mate on her 1n 1962 under Basil(?) Wheeler then Bob Woods. At that time Jef.Cush was master on Kluang. Have you any more photos?
Tom, the one on the right, showing her starboard side is the Lang. The sister to the Lang was the Landak, which simply one day just vanished. Both about 305dwt. Kluang of similar size 313dwt. Regards Colin

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Tom,
The photo in b/w is the Kluang, the coloured is the Lang.
Have to dig in the old shoeboxes, but will have a look later on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tom, the one on the right, showing her starboard side is the Lang. The sister to the Lang was the Landak, which simply one day just vanished. Both about 305dwt. Kluang of similar size 313dwt. Regards Colin
Thanks for the info. I should have remembered Lang and Kluang were very similar, but not sisters. Our Old Man, Karl Wheeler ( not Basil as I said before) had had a run in witrh London office and was limited to having the smallest ship in the fleet, and when he went on leave had always to return to Lang, as she was smaller (just) than Kluang. The Locan was even smaller, but Indonesian flag.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Locan

I believe LOCAN was the one called SLING when she came under Norwegian flag. She certainly was smaller than LANG(Slang). Only Skipper and Mate Norwegians, the rest Chinese. Mainly on the Pladju-Muntok run.
LANG had a sister in Singapore supplying bunkers. I remember her well as we took on all of 4 tons of diesel from her! Served as 2.Mate on the LANG from july-63 until I had the luck to come down with kidney stone, and signed off in april 64. I have two pics of LANG, but if I try to include them here, I`m sure to mess it up. It`s easier by mail. So Tom, let me have your adress.
Knut.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info. I should have remembered Lang and Kluang were very similar, but not sisters. Our Old Man, Karl Wheeler ( not Basil as I said before) had had a run in witrh London office and was limited to having the smallest ship in the fleet, and when he went on leave had always to return to Lang, as she was smaller (just) than Kluang. The Locan was even smaller, but Indonesian flag.
I've got it wrong again. Call it a senior moment. The Old Man was Carl Fiddler, Basil Wheeler was Master on my first Eagle Oil ship 'San Wenceslao'. Sorry Basil, if you are still with us!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts