Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
heyo all !!!!
Peter here !!! My pasion is naval architecture and i spent most of my time designing ships !!!
I was wondering if anybody could give me (well tell) any usefull infomation (i.e. standard deck hights, what consols are needed on the bridge, what EXACTLY is locadted below the water line, fire zones etc...)
I would be extremely greatfull for any info anybody cld give me !!!

Urs
PEtER

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Villum:
The best introductory book that you should have is:

Reed's Volume 4: Naval Architecture for Marine Engineers

This will get you started on the principles of marine design and engineering. Most naval architecture today is done using 3D Cad and Autocad. Despite the high cost of such software you can download a copy of Freeship at:

http://www.freeship.org/

This program is free and is good enough to get you started. There are quite a few sample models from which you can work.
There are also several correspondence courses which teach the basics and could be a prelude before taking full time education on the subject. As you go along, you will also need to be familiar with government and classification society rules, most of which can be downloaded free of charge from the internet.

If you need more help, feel free to PM me. If you have AutoCad 2004 or higher, would be happy to send you the files on one or two of our stock designs to use for practice.

Good luck in your chosen career and remember, when you are successful, you don't have to sail in the ships you design, so please think of the sailors comfort when you putpen to paper.

Bob

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Peter,
I'm a retired naval architect, feel free to ask me questions, too.
You will understand that is difficult to give you general answers about such a matter; be more specific and I'll try to help you.
First thing, I can suggest you to become familiar with building regulations according National Registers: LR, RINa, AB,...
Books with the ship dimensioning according register rules are available at any specialized book seller, and usually are quite easy to use, giving the dimensioning of ship's structural elements by non-dimensional empiric formulas, based on main ship's dimensions.
Piero

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To begind, I would just like to apologize for my spelling errors, rereading my self I was rather shoked lol !!!!
Thank you both for your replies. I'm up in london this weekend so I'll try and have a look for those books (does any one know a book shop where I'd be sure to find it ???). I've proviously visited Alsthom Chantiers de l'Atlantique (during the construction of the QM2), and was supposed to meet the managing director of the yard (except there was a mix up, and he ended up understanding that i wannted to visit the QM2). I'll try and have allok for the building regulations but I never seem to find them for free. Yes I have a copy of Auto CAD 2004 and would be very thankfull for any thing you could send me. I pan (if all goes well) to go and study at UCL after my BAC. Is it any good for naval architecture ????
Lol thank you very much, and I try do create large and varied amenities for crew lol !!!!

Thank you all for your advice, as I said, I'll try and look for thoses books this week end

Yours, PEtER

P.S. here's a past design I did, but never finished

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Villum:
Could you PM me with an address in order to mail you AutoCad design drawings. The files are too big to email or put on our webserver.
Bob

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Villum!
as far as can be judged on a PC screen dimensions, your project looks interesting.
Did you develop a body plan of her?
Anyway: Chandris Lines will be pleased for the quotation...lol!
For any advice you may need, feel free to contact me also by PM.
Piero

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Bob will the free ship design software be good enough for designing model boat plans??. The reason i'm asking is that i've got plans for the 3 side trawlers my Grandfather used to be skipper of and I want to re-scale them for building remote control models. If it is good enough with hull lines , etc can it print them or is it just a work on screen type of program??.

Davie

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Davie Tait said:
Bob will the free ship design software be good enough for designing model boat plans??. The reason i'm asking is that i've got plans for the 3 side trawlers my Grandfather used to be skipper of and I want to re-scale them for building remote control models. If it is good enough with hull lines , etc can it print them or is it just a work on screen type of program??.

Davie
Freeship is a fully functional Naval Architecture program, you can print to a printer or to a drafting plotter to get blueprint size drawings. I haven't tried it, but am sure you could also produce developed surfaces for NC cutting.

In your case, you would start by inserting the offsets from your original plans into Freeship
Bob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Model plans

I have the same interest as Davie Tait in Model plans.
Does someone know where I can download ship/boat drawings, preferably in 2D ?

I can't access to Freeship due to China Web censorship :(

Seems to be a great site!

BR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts