Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
1943-4

Can any one help please. I am trying to find a picture of the SS Grodno, and if she servived the war. Also SS Sea Triumph 180494 (7280tons). I can't find anything. My uncle was a fireman on both ships. Grodno 1944, Sea Triumph 1947. Thank you. Barney.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Grodno built 1919 2458 tons for Ellerman Wilson line sold in 1946 to Lange of Oslo and renamed Ma Goo. Sold on in 1947 as Hedja to Sweden, sold on in 1961 as Hermon to Lebonan Scrapped 1968 in Trieste.
Builders Wm Gray West Harlepool. 303.0 x 43.0 x 20.8. 3 cylinder triple expansion engine built by Central Marine Eng; works. West Hartlepool.
DF, ESD.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Grodno

Many thanks, R58484956 for the great info on the Grodno. All i could find was name of company. Thanks again. All the best. Barney.

·
Registered
83 Posts
G'day all you old-salts...
There must be lots of ex-BTC (British Tanker Co) blokes out there on this site. I'm an ex-Marconi sparks who sailed on a fair few ships during my career. I've got a fair amount of info on most of my ex-ships except the "British Scout". I was with her for 6 months (Jan-Jun 1956). She was quite small and very old... built 1922.
If anyone has got any info/photo etc... I'd be much obliged.

Cheers.... Cynter

·
Registered
5 Posts
British Scout

cynter said:
G'day all you old-salts...
There must be lots of ex-BTC (British Tanker Co) blokes out there on this site. I'm an ex-Marconi sparks who sailed on a fair few ships during my career. I've got a fair amount of info on most of my ex-ships except the "British Scout". I was with her for 6 months (Jan-Jun 1956). She was quite small and very old... built 1922.
If anyone has got any info/photo etc... I'd be much obliged.

Cheers.... Cynter
Hi Cynter

British Scout was built at Swan Hunter at Wallsend in 1922 and scrapped at Rosyth in 1957. She was 1,507 grt and 2,210 dwt. Although I never sailed on any BTC ships I worked on a lot of them in Falmouth Docks between 1962 and 1968 before I went to sea as a Lecky with Trident Tankers. Happy days!

All the best, ChrisP

·
Registered
65 Posts
Merchant Prince

On the 23rd May 1957 the ship I was sailing on as R/O, the Elder Dempster s.s. "Chandler", rammed the "Merchant Prince". This happened off Yoruba Island as we were heading upstream towards Sapele. I would like to make contact with anyone on that ship at the time, especially the R/O, to hear their side of the story.

Rusty

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Barney,
"Sea Triumph"was a Liberty ship built by J. A. Jones of Panama City, Florida, in 1944 as the "Samoland" for Lend Lease to Britain. Managed by Watts Watts. 1947 sold to Dover Navigation Company and renamed "Sea Triumph". 1948 sold to Larrinaga SS Co and renamed "Asuncion de Larrinaga". Later names, 1951 "Katingo", 1955 "Virginia G", 1960 "Kapetanissa", 1964 "National Strength", 1967 "Good Eddie", was to have been sold and renamed "Escomdido" but went ashore on Keelung breakwater after anchor chain parted. Reverted to "Good Eddie"and laid up at Keelung. 1968 broken up at Keelung.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Many thank for the info Dave. I go up and down google and still don't find much.Imust get better at it one day. Still trying. All the best. Barney.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello danube4

Have you look at the site www.theshipslist.com there you can see there are 3 SS Grodno"s in the past there are no pictures but you can see when the ship was sold and scrapped.
This where ships of the Wilson Lines

Cor Boer

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Hi i am looking for any info on a ship wich ran from invergordon to kirkwall for streamline shipping i believe she she was called defender

cheers tom

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
ships name

in a previous enquiery i requested info on a ship called defender of streamline shipping. sorry it was the wrong name the ship i am looking for is the CONTENDER wich ran between kirkwall and invergordon with livestock and general cargo cheers tom (*))

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Contender,236 tons built 1930, 122.5 x 22.6 x 12.2. 3 cyl steam engine built by Hall Russel & Co Aberdeen who also built the ship. DF, ESD. Owned by Thomas l Devlin & Sons Ltd.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Hi r584956 thanks for your info but it seems like the wrong ship as the one i am interested in was still running for streamline about five years ago and she was a diesel job. cheers tom

·
Registered
517 Posts
Steam Trawler CONTENDER, Skipper Charlie Davidson, Granton 22, never worked as a cargo vessel, she was wrecked 13th April 01961 at Whinnyfold, Cruden Bay, Aberdeen.

Regards............................WLH

1 - 20 of 27 Posts