Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years now PC simulation games have been available for flying aeroplanes and driving trains, most notably by Microsoft.
Why then are there no games for piloting big ships?
Sure there are sailing games with yachts, but there are to my knowledge NONE that enable you to steer car ferries across the Channel, cruise ships around the caribbean, and cargo ships through the Panama Canal!!
I want to know why this is :mad: , and what other people's opinions are on the matter.
Surely it can't be any more complicated to develop than MS FLIGHT SIMULATOR or TRAIN SIMULATOR!!

·
Banned
8 Posts
Try South Tyneside College here in sunny South Shields. They have a ships brigde simulator, you can sail up and down the rivers they have programme's for and berth your Super Tanker, just one drawback It cost millions of pounds.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
In search type: easyruise.com Browse down to Captain the easycruise one in Caribbean. Good one fof the kids as well. All the best barney.

·
Registered
648 Posts
There's virtual Sailor available to buy and download online. I bought it recently and it's great. Only about £15 and the download is about 7mb.

All add-ons such as landscapes or more ships of all kinds whether tug boats or ferries, naval or container are free as they are made by the general public.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
No bother Barney, as I said, it's harmless fun.
Ray(Thumb)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I bought Virtual Sailor - it's pretty good! There are loads of ships to download from the website. Driving Condor Express into Poole is a bit like deja vue! Pretty realistic and its a one-off buy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Virtual Sailor is a pretty decent game. It'll never win any awards but its quite fun once you get the hang of the (rather awkward) controls.
Thanks Everyone!! (Thumb)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Attended a ship simulator in New York.
Was not impressed as it really did not have the true actions or reactions.
All done in a pilothouse in the St.Lawrence seaway.
Was only afterwards we were shown how it was done.
A tiny model on a table with a camera that moved according to your instructions.
Did learn one thing that was valuable.
When you have your night vision and was to turn on a light to see a chart e.g. cover one eye and you do not ruin the night vision.
Try it and you will see it works!!!
Best place was Port Revel in France where you sailed in models that were scaled down real ships.
Good fun and a real learning experiance. B\)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Apply for a trainee pilot at some of the ports like Sullom or Felix and you will soon find a ships simulator unless they have changed their training methods or refresher courses

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Would love to have a ship simulator "game" but would first have to buy a confuser! It's like that Titanic game I've got, the box looks great, but dunno what the game is like!!

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Engine Room Simulator

In Canada there is an Engine Room simulator course which it is necessary to pass to obtain an engineers ticket ; this in of course in addition to the usual examinations and orals .
Not for the public though and is an expensive course.

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
If I remember rightly, and I'm sure CED will tell me if I'm wrong, which she usually does, but I think there is one in the North Atlantic Fisheries College in Scalloway, which I think is sometimes open to the public during their open doors weekends. (Am now preparing to be corrected!)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Once spent a week on the manned model simulator at Marchwood (Warsash College's course). For two days it rained continuously with up to 50 knots of wind - it certainly made shiphandling and berthing very interesting, especially if the propellor got fouled with weed (following a very hot summer), just as you were trying to take the way off!!!!

Sebe

4,847 Posts
Coastie said:
If I remember rightly, and I'm sure CED will tell me if I'm wrong, which she usually does, but I think there is one in the North Atlantic Fisheries College in Scalloway, which I think is sometimes open to the public during their open doors weekends. (Am now preparing to be corrected!)
Stand by Coastie! There are, in fact three set ups at NAFC (well there was when we were there "playing" sorry liasing) They had everything from a fishing vessel set up to a Tanker. We took a tanker into Sullom Voe, what fun. But the motion of the ocean special effect was strange. Your eyes told you you were going up and down but your inner ear didn't. You are correct (don't faint dear) think it is open to the public when they do there PR bit.

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Chief Engineer's Daughter said:
Stand by Coastie! There are, in fact three set ups at NAFC (well there was when we were there "playing" sorry liasing) They had everything from a fishing vessel set up to a Tanker. We took a tanker into Sullom Voe, what fun. But the motion of the ocean special effect was strange. Your eyes told you you were going up and down but your inner ear didn't. You are correct (don't faint dear) think it is open to the public when they do there PR bit.
Thank Heavens for that, didn't think my memory was THAT bad! Didn't know they had three though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts