Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why it's the Ultimate "Man Cave"... I remember visiting back in 1985 after arriving in the RSA in ACHILLE LAURO.

So.. the obvious question: what Union-Castle ship did the wonderful chairs and tables come from? I am guessing S.A. ORANJE or EDINBURGH CASTLE which seem to have shed a lot of their furnishings on their final call at Cape Town. I remember when the lounge of the Mount Nelson had chairs and tables with "PRETORIA CASTLE" stencilled on the underside. Not to mention all that British & Commonwealth cutlery. Some of the bigger serving dishes were very old U-C marked. Table d'hote dinner in the formal dining room.. with candles... R.13! Those, as they say, were the days!

Peter Kohler

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why it's the Ultimate "Man Cave"... I remember visiting back in 1985 after arriving in the RSA in ACHILLE LAURO.

So.. the obvious question: what Union-Castle ship did the wonderful chairs and tables come from? I am guessing S.A. ORANJE or EDINBURGH CASTLE which seem to have shed a lot of their furnishings on their final call at Cape Town. I remember when the lounge of the Mount Nelson had chairs and tables with "PRETORIA CASTLE" stencilled on the underside. Not to mention all that British & Commonwealth cutlery. Some of the bigger serving dishes were very old U-C marked. Table d'hote dinner in the formal dining room.. with candles... R.13! Those, as they say, were the days!

Peter Kohler

comment deleted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts