Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remember the street where the pool was in London Prescot Street I think ? Does anyone remember if that is the street. I used to go there to sign on for my ships. It used to get off the tube at Aldgate I think and it was not far from P&O as I used to get my joining instuctions and then sometimes go to P&O.

I remember walking under a bridge with a pub on the corner which was full of seaman awaiting their next trip. I used to get some great jobs off the boards and it was so interesting to meet so many different crew. There were guys from tankers , freighters, passenger ships , cargo. I always remember my first trip there but for the life of me cannot remember the street properly so seeking some help for my records. If anyone has some pictures would love to get some.

·
Registered
13 Posts
taffy the ab

If I remember rightly there were four pools in the London area Prescot St., King George V., Dock St.,and Tilbury. I used to use King George V as I tried to catch the Colony runners if I could. From seventy to seventy four I got my jobs from Frank Butler out of Port Lines office in K.G.V.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My memory is telling me that I got off the tube at Aldgate East, crossed the road at Gardners corner, then walked down Lemman St, under the bridge near the Brown Bear pub, cross a road then into Dock Street. The Red Ensign Club was just around the block from there. Many an Advance note has been cashed in the Brown Bear, I also learned that if you were between jobs and short of cash and you sat long enough on a half of bitter someone would come along and ask you if something was wrong with the beer. Once they knew you were short they would stand you a pint, as almost all seamen had been in similar cir***stances at some time or other. I always repayed the pint in better times, and was always ready to help out some other poor sod.

Happy days....... Jim

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Seem to remember you saying it was "Dock street" Jim with the Red ensign" club around the corner. Dont remember the Brown bear though ... LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
London Pools

The London Pools were Connaught Road (Royal Docks) next to the "Connaught" pub. West India Dock, "Charlie Browns" outside the dock gate with the "Blue Posts" opposite and Dock St pool with the Red Ensign Club close by.

Strictly speaking,Tilbury was not considered to be a London Pool,

·
Registered
954 Posts
It was definately Prescot Street and the nearest tube was either Aldgate or Tower Hill. The pub that was always full of seamen awaiting 'jobs' was I think the Princess of Prussia which was very close to the pool.

Dave

·
Registered
954 Posts
The Red Ensign club was nearby and I seem to remember this was a training establishment for Cooks as well as a hostel. When I took 2nd Mates some of the lads were staying in the Red Ensign club and went down with food poisonning during exam week! There were a couple of other dodgy seamans hostels, the Mariners Hotel run by the British Sailors Society on Commercial Road (had a delightful 6 months in there) and Queen Vics seamans rest in West India Dock Road. Anyone remember them?

Dave

·
Registered
880 Posts
Shipping Federation

The site of 'Charlie Browns' is now occupied by Westferry Station, Dockland Light Railway, The Queen Vic building is still there. The building that was the 'Flying angel' in Custom House was still standing a couple of years ago.

Another landmark was 'Gardiners Corner' where we went to buy our uniforms.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Spent a few nights in Flying Angel Custom House 1960s, also the adjacent pubs Railway Tavern, Freemasons, and a third one I can't remember name of.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Shipping federation

Was it the 'Freemasons' that was known as the 'Steps' and the 'flying tabnab' (Thats showing my age) was known as 'The Stack of Bricks' also the 'Connaught' between the two docks on Connaught Rd was the lunchtime watering hole and the emporium for purchasing anything that was being handled in the Royals, There was another on Silvertown way 'The Graving Dock Tavern' and the Sunday Night dance at the Stella Maris in Canning town under the watchful eye of Father McGuiness was something to remember !!!!!! (Thumb)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shipping Federation

Happy & Not So Happy Days. Sent many times down from Liverpool to St. Georges and Tilbury. Told you were joining a New Zealand Shipping Company or Quarter Master on a City Boat only to be told on arrival that it was crewed up and they offered you the dross!! Being skint you had to accept according to 'Established Seamans Rules' two refusals only. Peter (marlinspike)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
marsat2 said:
My memory is telling me that I got off the tube at Aldgate East, crossed the road at Gardners corner, then walked down Lemman St, under the bridge near the Brown Bear pub, cross a road then into Dock Street. The Red Ensign Club was just around the block from there. Many an Advance note has been cashed in the Brown Bear, I also learned that if you were between jobs and short of cash and you sat long enough on a half of bitter someone would come along and ask you if something was wrong with the beer. Once they knew you were short they would stand you a pint, as almost all seamen had been in similar cir***stances at some time or other. I always repayed the pint in better times, and was always ready to help out some other poor sod.

Happy days....... Jim
I definately remember walking under a bridge I know that after I got my ship I celebrated with a pint but so long ago. I found it all facinating as a young guy as there were so many different crews looking for a new ship.All types of jobs and in those days there was a fair choice of type of ship to sign on.

cheers -Bob (Sydney )

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Bob,
Where was P&O situated after they they left Leadenhall St?, I can remember Leadenhall St very well and working there for a fair while....but I cant remember where most of it relocated to...I can remember getting off at Aldgate/Aldgate East station and then walking down behind the station (there were markets??)..it was Beaufort House/Street??...jeez I must be getting old, yet another Senior Moment!!.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Its perfect Bob..but what I cant remember is exactly where it was situated!!, I can remember walking south from the station (Aldgate/Aldgate East) and then making a right hand turn...and I think another..but thats it. I can picture P&O in Leadenhall St when they were there (my Grandfather was actually involved in the building of it, a Master Mason)..but I just cant picture how to get to Beaufort House after they moved!!. Think I might have to get the London A-Z out and see if I can jog my memory!!.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tried to scan an old London map, it may help refresh someones memory, Cable street was the one we crossed at the bottom of Leman St, and I'm sure it was the Brown Bear pub just under the railway bridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
...spent some time in the East End during ticket-times. I thought we used to call the old Poplar sea school (forgotten its proper title) down Commercial Road on the junction with Salmon Lane the 'Stack-of-Bricks'?
Spent a very short spell in the Red Ensign Club for some reason or other. Woke up one night to a scuffle outside my room and when I went down to breakfast in the morning was not amused to find blood smears on my door. End of short spell !!
Talking of East London (not the one in S.Africa), who remembers rowing around St. Catherine's Dock in an old lifeboat under the beady eye and caustic tongue of the one-and-only, pipe-smoking, Capt. Dogf*ck? And who 'remembers' (difficult this one 'cos of the morning after!) having one pint in every pub up and down the Commercial Road on an evening? Or, at least, attempting? Thems were the days, lads, I tellya!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts