Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

I would be most grateful if some one could please help identify the shipping line (or government service) which wore the cap badge depicted below.

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Glen,
In Our Dominion of the North

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greetings:

I would be most grateful if some one could please help identify the shipping line (or government service) which wore the cap badge depicted below.

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Glen,
The only house flag that a cap badge normally denotes that I could find with both a saltire and cross of St. George is Port Line . Because the photo is in black and white I can not be sure. The Port Line colours were a blue saltire and a red cross on a white background.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, for your helpful responses.

Just to help close the loop, please see below a side-by-side image of a Port Line cap badge with the original image. Although seemingly of different vintages, quite clearly the same basic badge.

In case it might be of additional interest to others, I also include below the full original image, (from a post card), which shows much of the rest of the uniform. The buttons, (one of which is shown in a separate image below), have a single anchor on them and the rank is identical to that of the Royal Navy, complete with Executive Curl (which I found a bit odd).

The post mark on the card is dated March 1914.

Cheers,
and thanks again,

Glen,

Attachments

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
In the black and white photo the cross is clearly of a darker colour than the saltire. Blue always shows darker than red, not so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts