Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across one of the books I studied when taking my lifeboat ticket. This is the second edition of the book printed in 1971. So to get the brain cells going, what lifeboat equipment do you think is listed in this book. Motor or mechanically propelled lifeboats were minus a few things as I would assume the lifeboats of today, and the accident boat during my era had a few extras. But in general, what items do you think are on this list?. David

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
David, Will leave this to others. When you have the answers, please let's know what the book you used is. I have the one I used, a 12th Edition with amendments, 4th reprint dated 1972. The 1st edition was Oct 1950.
Dennis. (Read)

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will let you know which book later Dennis. I did not give the name knowing others may have it and copy from it?!. David

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will check answers later. Giving free taxi service to granddaughter this afternoon. david

·
Registered
532 Posts
Tins of barley sugar for one. Often got nicked. Water of course. Biscuits, Whistle, Flashlight, Axe, Compass. Other stuff, but I forget, too long ago.
Almost 60 years since I done my lifeboat course at the Vindi.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
lifeboat equipment

Water,hardtack biscuits,fishing line+hook,torch,compass,nestles milk don't know how you would get it out of the can if it was arctic conditions,mast +sails,oars,bailer,choclate,barley sugar sweets,tin opener,heliograph,flares. (Read)

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

how far are you going back? oars crutchs boat hook plugs bailer rudder axes matches mast sail tourch heliograph whistle fishung kit painters compass sea anchour oil flares

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
going back a bit more:- Painter,Axes,Sea Anchor,warp,sails,oars, mast, sailing gear,bread,milk,water,bucket and bailer,compass, plugs,oilbag&oil, rudder&tiler,boathook, box matches,lamp,redlights,set and half crutches.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Spare oil for lamp, bailer, two buckets, oil for sea anchor, matches
,knife with can opener, two axes, signal flares, smoke flares, heliograph,medical kit, dippers and measuring beaker for water.
Oars plus two spare and a steering oar with blade paintd white, two heaving lines (floatable)
Think that with the other submissions we have it covered.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Seasick Tablets, Matches, Colza Oil, Drogue, Water Vessels on a chain, First aid Kit, 2x Galvanised Buckets, Heliograph, Flares, Smokes, Food, Water, Oil lamp for Compass. Blankets, Torch (Batteries) Windie windie Radio, Canopy, Spare bungs, Bag with Horsehair or Rockwool to trail overboard with cloza oil impregnated. Have I left anything out?

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right, lets go through each post to date.

Oldbosun. Barley Sugar YES Bisquits YES Whistle YES Flashlight YES, but says Torch Axe YES, but say two Hatchets provided with lanyards, stowed in the open, one each end of the boat, ready for use, and are NOT to be lashed to the lifting hooks. Compass YES

Wully Farquhar

Water YES, Fishing line YES, with 6 hooks. Torch YES, Nestles Milk YES, but says Sweetened condensed milk. Mast and sails YES, but not on motor lifeboats. Bailer YES, but called Dipper. Tin opener YES, but within a Jackknife. Signalling equipment and flares YES

Dom

Oars YES, but not so many on a motor lifeboat with two boat hooks on the latter. Rudder YES, Matches YES, Painters YES, Sea Anchour YES, Oil YES.

Have not repeated some of above.

WA002f0328

Bread NOT MENTIONED, Milk CONDENSED, Bucket YES, Plugs YES, Rudder YES, Crutches YES, Can't see Redlights.

Lakercapt

Smoke flares YES Oars depend on if boat has motor but some are indeed painted white etc.

Pat McCardle

Storm Oil YES

Sorry if I missed any, but please keep it to one or two items. I have just come in and found it hard going reading through each post with so many items many of which are repeated. David

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I missed yours Strawberry. There is a first aid kit, but what is in it?. Water vessels YES, called Drinking Vessels, not on string but rust proof. Radio YES, Radio equipment. Spare bungs not mentioned. Cant see Canopy mentioned or bag with horsehair. Sea Sickness tablets are not mentioned in kit, but injections are. Oil YES, Lamp YES. Others already mentioned.

Hamish Mackintosh

Sea Anchour YES

Pete

Foghorn not mentioned, I think we were told to shout Ahoy?!. David

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Included in the medical kit are ampouls of Morphine, apart from that I think that it would be a fairly standard large first aid kit - triangular bandages, roller bandages, 3 sizes of wound dressing, eye pads, adhesive dressings & tape, cotton wool, gloves, gauze pads, pins, clips, maybe sutures, face shield, scissors, tweezers, antiseptic wipes,

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Clockman

Omnopon is in the First Aid Outfit, it is a type of Morphia. Triangular bandages yes, bandages, cotton wool, gauze, scissors, safety pins all mentioned, but not others. Dressings are included. David

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Pompeyfan said:
Clockman

Omnopon is in the First Aid Outfit, it is a type of Morphia. Triangular bandages yes, bandages, cotton wool, gauze, scissors, safety pins all mentioned, but not others. Dressings are included. David
Ah yes, that was the name - 20 years of shoreside 1st Aid since I last looked in one of those boxes. We used to arrange safe disposal of the old stock each year.

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Two plugs for each plug hole David attached by lanyards or chains to the keelson. David

1 - 20 of 66 Posts