Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been handed down a ship's wheel.

It's about 138cm (4' 6") across. I can't see any numbers on the hub.

Please does anyone have any idea when it may have been made and what type of vessel it came from?

(The white tape on a handle is just for protection from the breeze block wall.)

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Judicious use of emery or litmus paper on metal and brass may reveal something, also in a aged (apparently) wheel it may be possible to find some scratchings on the wood. With the fluted spokes it doesn't look like a heavy duty (commercial vessel) wheel.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
If anyone comes across a ship's wheel with the name "Marty" carved in it, it is from the Blue Funnel ship Antilochus and it was carved by me on the 8-12 watch, on passage from Belfast to Birkenhead in 1963 when I was temporarily besotted with a young lady of that name who was a regular in DuBarry's bar in Belfast.(Jester)

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
A bit of quality there methinks, The classical design of the spindles and rather ornate knobs on the wedges. Rather light weight, so maybe for a quality yacht.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I restored my ships wheel from a local salvage yard I discovered the yard number 664 stamped on the boss. I discovered Henry Scarr shipyard (Hessle) built a tug in 1950 called Tyburn Brook (yard 664), renamed Pressman then Presstan. Scrapped in 2004 at New Holland just across the river from the shipyard, all a stones throw from my home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts