Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Willie
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photo taken in 1972, but where. This ship must have been seen by thousands of seamen. Can anyone recall what happened to her and what company she belonged to.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
One of the OOL fleet of CY Tung;
the plum flower looks very like the OOCL logo.
I understand his ships were named Seawise ...... ( CY's )

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
She was the "Sian Yung", ex "Aardyk", ex "Lincoln Victory". On 6 December 1970 she sank in the Panama Canal after striking the bank while passing the same company's "Hongkong Exporter". The way I heard the story everyone went out on the bridge wing to wave to their opposite numbers - including the helmsman. Refloated 29 October 1972 and taken to Balboa. Subsequently scuttled on 2 November 1972.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I remember seeing her sitting on the bottom of the Panama canal as in the picture - must have been 1972(ish!)
I was told the reason for the accident was the complete absence of comprehension of the pilot's instructions - helm did the opposite of what the pilot said - well that's what I was told anyway!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I remember seeing this ship when transiting the Canal in early 1971. The pilot said she had a quantity of rice on board which after the initial grounding got wet , expanded then split the ship open more. I guess that could be why it took so long to salvage the wreck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts