Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 657 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anybody out there who used to sail on the Silver Line ships in the 70's to 80's??

Would like to have some information on their ships if possible, pictures etc..

Ex Silver Line myself, any old ship mates still around, please get in touch.

Vaughan Williams...

(Ex Fleetwood Nautical College)..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

I did my time with Silver Line - Deck Cadet to 2nd Mate.

I'm Pete Jones - was at Cardiff (Reardon Smith's) Nautical College. I left about 1979 ish.

Cheers

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Welcome back

Pete,

A warm welcome back to the site from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Hi Vaughan i was 2nd eng silver falcon 1968.best company i ever sailed with(arnt you capt if i mind right)think shipspotting or one of those sites i have a pic in gallery of falcon
Bobby(Glasgow)
ps sorry never read your profile first see you were capt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
silver line london iitavan

\ i vaughan.i sailed with s/l prior to emigrating to aussie in 1967.i spent 6
happy years sailing on the following vessels between 1961/1967. mv.silverpoint
jnr eng.mv silverweir 4th eng. mv. silversand 3rd eng.the following web site
miramarship index.org.nz will be able to fill any details on most vessels and
what happen to them . also in gallery phots.there is one of mv. silverweir.taken
in corpus cristi. i am deeply indebted to a member mr. dave edge for information
on above web site.does the name ernie gill ch/eng ring a bell from hull/york.
have a great day regards maverick/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello
I was with Silver Line 72 - 75 as Jun Eng on Silvercove & Silvermain then 4/E on Silvershore, does anyone have any photos of the Cove or remember sailing with me. Good company and good crowd of blokes
Motorman (Niall Carr)

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
Anyone remember Ian Davidson, probably 4th or 3rd Engineer with Silver Line, from Middlesbrough, previously with Ben Line (1970s-80s0)?

John T.

·
Registered
27 Posts
silver line

Hi
I sailed on the Mv SILVER EIRIK in 1976 from europort to gadansk.
Then on SILVERFORTH from istanbul & left in yokohama again in 1976.
Does anybody remember chief steward Hank Otter,if so please let me know.

Thanks

Malcolm Frost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ex - Silver line

Hi there,I didn't sail in Silver Line but I sailed with you in Buries Markes (Twice).I know a boat yard owner up here on the Clyde who sailed with them and then walked away in disgust when they were sold,such was his commitment to them!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was in the Silver Crag in the early sixties ,i am from M/bro i have been in N/Z since the late sixties,sailing as a/b ,but now retired, i enjoyed both countries ships and crews.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
first ship at sea, silver sand followed by silver crag. c/e's len dewar, ted greenway, bob roberts, one lunged old soak from teesside whom i cant recall,and the unforgettable matty jack. 2/e's,the dreadful denis barker,big john doyle(ex military policeman), and freddie johnson. hank otter did his first trip with silver line aboard the crag, and his altercation with matty jack in vittoria (geordies bar) merited a mention in the guinness book of all time great pugilist contests, with the gloves removed. went back to silver line years later, on 'alice redfield, argo clyde, taabo, carchester, arapaho, then several 'V' ships managed ships. for the best part, great times.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
just recalled the teesside old soak. alfy crowther. one other great old c/e was jack waites from british west hartlepool.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Come on you old Silver Liners. There are lots of people whom we sailed with who are cworth a comment. Cap Ronnie Safe (the only Master serving with the MN who had a certificate to say that he was sane!!!!, his words) C/E Albert Trotter, Cap Don Troop (was he ever sober?) Albert RN the Chief Steward, Tommy Wilson, another chief steward, Billy Graham, no not that Billy Graham, this one an engineer. lets get this up and running

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
I'm not a Silver Line alumnus, but I'd like to know when Silver Line started crewing with Mainland Chinese crews. Certainly by 1968/1969, when I noticed them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Silver Line

Silversea had mainland Chinese crew in 1966. Silverweir had Indian crew in 1968, but carried 3 H.K. juniors. Imet one much later in Aussie, he was Lloyds surveyor

J.D.Robinson

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
Interesting.
Silverweir visited my port (Astoria, Oregon) in Feb 1968, I think it had a Chinese crew then, but I'm not sure about that. I can most assuredly say that the Silversea in Oct 1968 and the Silverbeach in Jan 1969 both had Chinese crews when they called. The Silverdon called twice in 1976, my foggy memory is of an all-UK crew, but I won't lay money on that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
silver line

according to my discharge book, I joined Silverweir 25.9.67. in Avonmouth and left 1.6.68. in Montreal. We did stay one night in Astoria before going up to Kalama ( not sure about spelling, anyway Red Indian place) to load grain for India. She definitely had Indian crew. Master was Capt. N. Tuddenham of unlamented memory. Silversea and Silverbeach were car carriers and had Mainland China crews.

j.d.robinson

·
Registered
52 Posts
I sailed on the Silvershore most of 1972, anchored at Falmouth for 3weeks during the dock strike. Had rowing competitions etc with the other iron ore wagons to pass the time.Also on the Silvereagle 1973 for the usual couple of months in the Baltic then headed south to Huelva,Santos,Buenos Aires etc, think it was first time the ship had been in warm water, The old man was Barmy Burfitt, good trip and good company....

1 - 20 of 657 Posts