Ships Nostalgia banner
641 - 660 of 688 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
What a great summation of Hank. We sailed together many times and spent much time ashore in San Nicholas, Aruba. The glass eye was regularly left on guard or inserted *** with the remark "how'd you like to wake up and see that looking at you". Charlies Bar in Aruba was the scene of much such hilarity. We lost touch after I took redundancy in 1983.
Hello Bruce :) David Lane contacted me about this site just reading through all the messages regarding Alice Redfield
I was in the Cammell laird yard at the building of Alice then sailed on her for several trips with my wife Janesta. Good times remember them well. I keep in touch with David and his wife and last year i met up with Colin Curtis the second eng on alice after Steve Fielder left. I often wonder where everybody is from them times. I too took redundancy and moved over to the offshore oil game on the platforms then over to onshore drilling rigs, left the industry in March this year lst trip was in North Iraq, out to pasture now :(
I remember the fire in the control room very vividly and Charlies bar in Aruba, trying to remember
the deck cadets name who we took to the bordello in Curacao for his 21 birthday present LOL.
Good to hear your still around.

· Registered
3 Posts
Steve Fielder had indeed moved on, and I was his relief. Cannot remember Alan Younger, was he on the deck side? Bob Nielsen was the 3/E, a Geordie lad with a Swedish passport. Dave Lane was relieved by a lad from the west country who came equipped with a note from personnel saying that he would only be doing two months on boardRegards
Morning Colin how's things?

· Registered
1 Posts
I joined Silver line in 1971 and sailed on the Silvershore, Ted Greenway and Albert Trotter were the C/E's, Tuddy was the old man and throw a wobbler when we had two ladies of the night from Biorknhead sail round trip with us from Birkenhead to Nouhadibou to Hartlepool. They were taken ashore on a Saturday morning to court and although Tuddy wanted them to get life sentences they were told by the magistrate to go home.
Then sailed on the Silvermain with L. Ellison and then Yorkie (don't call me chief) Thompson. Roy Jenkins and Harry Whitelaw where the old men. Tommy Wright (Mate) had a "nervous breakdown" and was landed in Bermuda. Daz Phillips was the C/S.
Then joined the infamous Binsnes, later Silvertweed, as C/E. During the second voyage from Rotterdam to India whilst taking bunkers in Ceuta had a major damage to the Starboard engine so had to do the rest of the voyage on the one engine. John Tew was Captain, Les Wynn was 2/E, colin McLean Mate, Bill Cowle C/S.
In between the two voyages of the Tweed sailed on the Osprey, Norman Evans was Captain and Bev **** Mate.
After the Tweed did a stint on the Eirik, mostly laid up in Rotterdam as no cargo from Poland. Arthur Lowden was Capt, Les Wynn 2/E.
Then joined Silverdon in Aussie taking over from Yorkie who relieved me about 5 months later as I transferred to Monte Carlo to work in the newbuilding department on the Seto Bridge (Arapaho) and the Bandama and Taabo.
In 1977 moved to Silver Line London as a Superintendent working with Eddie Hall, Eddie Skinner, Geoff Painter, Bill Anthony, Geoff Axcell and Mike Smith. In 1981 transferred to Navcot in New York to oversee the Axel Johnson Tankers, plus IMI ships. Then moved to LA to work with Sitmar Cruises before they were purchased by Princess, relocated to New York and then finally to V Ships Miami where I retired in 2005.
Worked with Bruce Firth and Mike Robinson in Miami, also Steve Fielder.
Too many people to remember all of their names, but recall Mel Crawford, Ronnie Safe, Tommy Kirkpatrick, Alan Smith, Willie Greenfield, Dave Buckland, Wynn Davis, John Knight (works for Princess in LA) Paul Malone, now in Curacao.
Hi just wondered what if anything you might be willing to share that you can recall about 2/E Les Wynn, thanks

· Registered
14 Posts
... Alice Redfield
I was in the Cammell laird yard at the building of Alice then sailed on her for several trips with my wife Janesta ...
I remember you, Wayne, from Algol, Alvega or Alvenus (see Post 268, this thread). Don't exactly remember which because they were all so much alike after so many years. I stood-by Algol & Alvenus at Camell Laird's, sailed on both as 4/E. Don't remember where the Alice was in the building programme but Algol was first, Alvenus last. Maybe we meet at CL but I'm sure it was on a voyage. Hazy memory.

TBH, although I remember your name, it's your wife's name I remember more because it's SO unusual.

· Registered
2 Posts
Did 3 trips on the Silverclyde from 1977 onwards. The went onto the Eden Bridge and then the Spey Bridge. Silverclyde was fun and I enjoyed it. The other 2 did not impress.
Did 3 trips on the Silverclyde from 1977 onwards. The went onto the Eden Bridge and then the Spey Bridge. Silverclyde was fun and I enjoyed it. The other 2 did not impress.
Dear ex.Sailers of MV Silver Clyde & Spey Bridge, I sailed with this company only short period between 1977 till 1979. Left merchant navy & joined Nuclear Power in the U.K until recently retired. I have many happy memories of all the work mates whom names I could not remember.
Mohamed ISLAM ( ISSY)

· Registered
412 Posts
Silver Cove. Joined in Kobe (drydock) as 3/E March `74. Remember watching the "aftermath" of the Flixborough Disaster. on Japanese T-V!!. Paid off in Hong Kong, July `74. to go into Part B Seconds, on the promise of a 2nds Job if I got it. I did, but the 2/E position never materialised. went to Silver Eirik for just over a Month. Before leaving for a 2/E Berth in Ellermans. When we where in Australia (Newcastle) the Chief and Old man allowed me to go up to Sydney to see an old shipmate, for the weekend. When I got back they had sent the `Cove to Sydney, Night in the Stella Maris, and back on the train to Sydney Next day!.

· Registered
707 Posts
Good to see there is still a Silver Line group active,but to a very old timer like me, who served his time between 1952 and 1955 on two ships. the Silvertarn, ex Riodene , and the Silverash, it is rather sad none of my contemporaries from those days are still active though I still keep in touch with two ex apprentices, I sailed with, one aged 88 in LA and the other aged 85 in the UK.

Nick

· Registered
38 Posts
Good to see there is still a Silver Line group active,but to a very old timer like me, who served his time between 1952 and 1955 on two ships. the Silvertarn, ex Riodene , and the Silverash, it is rather sad none of my contemporaries from those days are still active though I still keep in touch with two ex apprentices, I sailed with, one aged 88 in LA and the other aged 85 in the UK.

Nick
Sorry, we don't get to see you much any more with the disbanding of the S/C luncheons. Also sad to see Ian Houghton moved on. Look after your self. Occasionally there's a few of us on the Northshore get together for a luncheon, however, Covid has put an end to that too. Cheers Malcolm

· Registered
2 Posts
Is there anybody out there who used to sail on the Silver Line ships in the 70's to 80's??

Would like to have some information on their ships if possible, pictures etc..

Ex Silver Line myself, any old ship mates still around, please get in touch.
Dear Vaughan
I sailed with silver line ( Silver Clyde & Spey Bridge ) during 77 & 78
& I may have some photos of Spey Bridge when Dry docked in Lisbon
I think I sailed with you when you were apprentice. If you want I could dig out the photos.
M. Islam ( Essex, )

Vaughan Williams...

(Ex Fleetwood Nautical College)..

· Registered
707 Posts
Sorry, we don't get to see you much any more with the disbanding of the S/C luncheons. Also sad to see Ian Houghton moved on. Look after your self. Occasionally there's a few of us on the Northshore get together for a luncheon, however, Covid has put an end to that too. Cheers Malcolm
Good to read your response and to hear there are still remanents of the Old Association still surviving on the North Shore. When things return to normal I shall make an effort to join you if you can keep me advised.

BTW the only old, old Silver Line names that may be familiar to you younger fellows are Austin Hirst, Michael Renon Duke, whom I sailed with on the Silvertarn in 1953-54 and also Ash in 1954-55; also a third mate by the name of Barney (surname) whom I met up with in Port Kembla in 1962 when he was mate.

Nick

· Registered
38 Posts
Good to read your response and to hear there are still remanents of the Old Association still surviving on the North Shore. When things return to normal I shall make an effort to join you if you can keep me advised.

BTW the only old, old Silver Line names that may be familiar to you younger fellows are Austin Hirst, Michael Renon Duke, whom I sailed with on the Silvertarn in 1953-54 and also Ash in 1954-55; also a third mate by the name of Barney (surname) whom I met up with in Port Kembla in 1962 when he was mate.

Nick
Yeah I sailed with both Austin ( Annie ) Hirst and Micheal Duke. I was mate with Austin on the
'Cove. Bad voyage, mutinous Chinese Crew, Austin ordered a gun and kept his cabin door locked, I kept a spike under my pillow. You could hear then trying your door handle in the middle of the night LOL, bad jos. Yeah if this covid things passes over I'll get in tough with you, take care Malcolm, was I ever glad when I left my last ship and headed to Canada.

· Registered
707 Posts
Yeah I sailed with both Austin ( Annie ) Hirst and Micheal Duke. I was mate with Austin on the
'Cove. Bad voyage, mutinous Chinese Crew, Austin ordered a gun and kept his cabin door locked, I kept a spike under my pillow. You could hear then trying your door handle in the middle of the night LOL, bad jos. Yeah if this covid things passes over I'll get in tough with you, take care Malcolm, was I ever glad when I left my last ship and headed to Canada.
We had the usual bolshy white crews on the Tarn but it was more mouth than actual mutiny. She was the first of Silver Line 's ships to be so crewed, an inheritance from her previous owners, Dene Shipping. Towards the end of my two years on her they replaced the engine room crew with South Shields Arabs, a very pleasant and docile lot. When I went to the Ash I found the regular Silver Line mix. Chinese quartermasters and fitters, Goanese stewards, Malays on deck and Indians in the engine room. A very different life for all on board.

ANH was the only man on the Tarn who could best me at deck tennis (Quoits) and I had a good 25 years on him and very long legs and arms. BTW, why Annie?

Nick

· Registered
2 Posts
Although I do not know when Shell tankers bought the ship, I sailed as an apprentice engineer from July 1982 until August 1983, on what used to be the Stirling Bridge after its name was changed to Tagelus. Shell Tankers which was based in Rotterdam was the owner and the ship was registered in 's Gravenhage, also known as Den Haag. The Stirling Bridge was an identical sister ship to the Severn Bridge, both of which were built in the early 70s.
They were built by Mitsubishi heavy industries in Hiroshima.

· Registered
3 Posts
I remember you, Wayne, from Algol, Alvega or Alvenus (see Post 268, this thread). Don't exactly remember which because they were all so much alike after so many years. I stood-by Algol & Alvenus at Camell Laird's, sailed on both as 4/E. Don't remember where the Alice was in the building programme but Algol was first, Alvenus last. Maybe we meet at CL but I'm sure it was on a voyage. Hazy memory.

TBH, although I remember your name, it's your wife's name I remember more because it's SO unusual.
Hi Martin. Not sure where we met eitheir lol.
Alice was 3 built ( i think)
Email at [email protected] if you want.
C/e was Alfie robinson. 2nd steve fielder. I was 4th. Dave lane lecky. 2mate mike lazenby ( who i met by chance again in Dubai airport 2019 ) bruce the radio officer. Hank otter the chief steward. I was on a tug boat in newfoundland in the 1980s when alice redfield can in the dock where the tug was. I went onboard and looked around terrible state. Engine room was filthy broken machinery everywhere half the lighting not working giant floodlights hanging on bit of rope. Really sad to see her like this.

· Registered
38 Posts
We had the usual bolshy white crews on the Tarn but it was more mouth than actual mutiny. She was the first of Silver Line 's ships to be so crewed, an inheritance from her previous owners, Dene Shipping. Towards the end of my two years on her they replaced the engine room crew with South Shields Arabs, a very pleasant and docile lot. When I went to the Ash I found the regular Silver Line mix. Chinese quartermasters and fitters, Goanese stewards, Malays on deck and Indians in the engine room. A very different life for all on board.

ANH was the only man on the Tarn who could best me at deck tennis (Quoits) and I had a good 25 years on him and very long legs and arms. BTW, why Annie?

Nick
Annie because he was always fussing around. Funny enough on the voyage from Vancouver to the Eastern seaboard ( full load of lumber including a full deck cargo)we were passing LA when Austin came on the bridge ( I was C/O ) and told me we might need to divert into LA as he was unable to pass water. I told him to take a really hot bath and try again while he was in the bath, it worked and he thanked me profusely. Austin kept a shotgun in his cabin, a bad bunch of mainland Chinese crew. they badly beat up the Bosun and he was carried off the ship in Newark. On the whole Hurst was a fair Master. I sailed on the 'Cove quite often along with Bloye, nicknamed Tickety, as in, is everything tinkety boo, Then Chivers who of course was from NY and Roy Jenkins, maybe Charlie Forth did a voyage too. We were on charter to Seaboard I believe for 5 years. quit the sea in 1972 and came ashore in Vancouver, best move I ever made LOL

· Registered
24 Posts
Hi just wondered what if anything you might be willing to share that you can recall about 2/E Les Wynn, thanks
Hi

I joined Silveravon (Bandama) in March 1978. I only did three weeks as I was due to start Phase one college.

Les was 2/E on this ship and I remember him very fondly.

I did not particulary enjoy this vessel as the deck department with the exception of the old man were bullies and delighted in making a cadet's life a misery.

Les was friendly with another engineer (Paul Bibby is a name that comes to mind but I could be mistaken). Both of them shared a strong friendship and a close sense of humour and at any time of the day or night you could hear them both chatting and roaring with laughter.

They both realised my misrey and made some efforts to cheer me up which worked and I got through it for the short time I was aboard and I will always be grateful to Les for his short lived friendship to a lowly 2nd trip deck cadet.

641 - 660 of 688 Posts