Ships Nostalgia banner
661 - 680 of 688 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Only just found this website and I haven't laughed so much in ages - reading some of the names that brought back so many memories.
My first ship was the Fjord - I joined as 4th mate! (from RN) but soon got my 3/O's job as the in***bent (Mark "Lady" Hamilton) didn't quite live up to expectations.
Big John Tew (Cardiff) was the master, Dave Weaver was C/O, can't remember the
2/O's name but he was a Bristol Channel pilot doing some sea-time. Soon afterwards we had two cadets - Eric Deakins (Grimsby) - who now lives in NZ I believe and Jon' Marten-Hale who is now an airline pilot and lives Luton way.
Angus Mather (Gloucester shed) joined as Eng cadet and the 3 stewards (stoogies) Gordon(Capt's), Barry (Saloon with his bow tie) and "Squeaky" John (Duty mess) kept us amused!
The C/Eng was a silver haired gent from Liverpool way, and the 2/E I think at that time was the unforgettable Dougie Brown, with his football eyes and who used to go purple when he coughed over his cigarettes! Lecky was Willy Watson (Sleepy) ... Charlie Leong joined later as 3/E and the tall young bearded 4/E had his wife aboard. The Chief Stwd was Andy? - Irishman, always had a joke and a laugh.( I believe he died in a fire aboard one of the "V" ships?) GP white crew - later replaced by Filipinos, and I can remember some other faces but can't put names to them.
Later I also sailed on the Tweed (Mel Crawford) the Don (Capt Smith - who died on board - tragic), Eagle, Spey Bridge, Erskine Bridge and Arapaho, variously as 3/O and 2/O.
Enough form me for now - but many other memories - good and bad.. hope some of the names trigger your memories?
Chris Jones
(Welsh Wizard No 2 according to Dougie Brown.....No1 was Ray somebody a mad 4/Eng?)
Ray Bowen, Chris Jones Where are you now?

· Registered
7 Posts
Chris, The Welsh Wizard was Ray (nobody belonged to that sheep)Bowen. The story that Duggy Brown would tell was that Ray stole a sheep to keep his grass down, when the farmer discovered that Ray had stole the sheep he had to go to court, but his luck held and nobody turned up for the prosecution as a witness, Rays words relating to the incident - "do you know, nobody belonged to that sheep" so he got off. I later heard the story first hand when sailing with Ray on the Silvermain. Regards Dave Whitter.
I am still around Dave where you the RO

· Registered
41 Posts
I sailed 72-73 4th /3rd silverfjord ,Peter Jones did you go to Mearsk? STATES TO JAPAN
I was a first trip J/E in 72 then rejoined in Jan 73 for a further 8 months, Harry Whitelaw was the old man when I paid off along with Les Robertson and a couple of others in Corpus Christi over the labour day weekend, some pics of the Fjord on photoship, she lasted well. Peter Jones it would seem hasn't posted on here for some time, he was a cadet on the fjord in 72.

· Registered
38 Posts
Ray Bowen, Chris Jones Where are you now?
The 2/O was Harry Lawson I sailed with him on the 'Sand 1959, from Pill in Somerset, cadet, and yes became a Bristol Channel Pilot. C/O Dave weaver I sailed with when he was 3/O on the 'Cove. Mel Crawford was Master on the Shirogane ( ex fjord I believe ) He was getting pretty close to retirement. Cpt Smith, must be a different chap. The Mike Smith I knew was the Company Super and retired. He did around a world tour, I took him and his wife out for dinner in Vancouver, I sailed with him as a first trip Master on the 'Fell in 1960. Like you, some good some bad, by the time I emigrated to Canada I'd had enough of the seemed like nonstop work on the 'Sea & Beach on the Toyota car run and then my last trip was on the 'Cove in Skikda 1972. I was delayed leaving by an Islamic Council but the last time down the Gangway was a great feeling. :)

· Registered
1 Posts
Is there anybody out there who used to sail on the Silver Line ships in the 70's to 80's??

Would like to have some information on their ships if possible, pictures etc..

Ex Silver Line myself, any old ship mates still around, please get in touch.

Vaughan Williams...

(Ex Fleetwood Nautical College)..
My Dad was with silverline shipping for many years , his name was Thomas Charles Durrant he was mainly callled Bos or Bosun , He passed away oct 2004 i remember Dad being on the Falcon many years ago also the passenger liners from when he was a deck hand , he worked his way up working on freight/cargo/tanker ships .I used to get so excited when Dad was due home from sea it seemed like a life time he was away for , then he be home for just a few weeks then Dad will get the call to join a ship somewhere . if anyone knew my Dad please drop a line be nice to have a chat ,
God bless you all
Bosun's daughter

· Registered
2 Posts
silver line

Hi
I sailed on the Mv SILVER EIRIK in 1976 from europort to gadansk.
Then on SILVERFORTH from istanbul & left in yokohama again in 1976.
Does anybody remember chief steward Hank Otter,if so please let me know.

Thanks

Malcolm Frost.
I was on Silverforth 1971/2 I remember a Henk, who had several fingers missing! Is that the one Malcolm?

· Registered
5 Posts
Yep - went to Aberdeen Tech College and South Shields Marine Tech from 1976 to 1980 - sailed on Spey Bridge, Arapaho, Alva Sea, finished on the Silverforth as 4th Engineer.
Hi Phil, Still about but rarely on this site. Just looking for stuff on the Alva Sea then continued looking. Still in Blair Atholl when at home but working in German wind farms at present. You still in Aberdeen

· Registered
6 Posts
One Silver Line ship not yet mentioned - Silverleaf.

I sailed as RO on her in 1967-68. Joined in Greenwell's Drydock in Sunderland, left in Hull. Voyage was from Sunderland to New Orleans (Destrehan) to load grain for Navlakhi (India). Thereafter, visited karachi, Durban, Cape Town, Montreal, Philadelphia then Hull.

A very happy ship but the old grey cells are failing a little. The only names I can remember were: Dai Bowen - Master. Mr Sydney - CO, Ian Harrison - 2/O, Dave Fielden - 3/O. Chief STeward was the much mentioned Hank Otter. Mr Dewar - CE. Mr Small - Leckie. One of the deck cadets was Neil (forget his surname) but was from Hull.

Was sorry to leave that ship. Great voyage.

RM
Dai Bowen Captain
? Mate
? 2nd Mate
Dave Fielden 3rd Mate
Neil Nifton Cadet
Paul Rowe Cadet
Can't remember the rest

· Registered
6 Posts
Silverleaf

Couldn't say about the shaft generator. It is now too far in the past.

The CO was Bob Sydney but not sure where he hailed from. Your description of Ian Harrison as a "quiet young man" sounds about right. I remember him as very softly spoken.

The deck cadet I referred to in my original post was Neil Nifton. There were three other deck cadets - Ti Ali from Iraq (but was living in UK). another was named Paul but cannot remember the surname but I can still picture him.

There were also 2 engineer cadets. One had the surname Carr (cannot remember his first name). The other I have no idea of his name except that he was Welsh.

Rgds
RM

Paul Rowe Cadet Me
Ian Carr engineer

· Registered
2 Posts
Dai Bowen Captain
? Mate
? 2nd Mate
Dave Fielden 3rd Mate
Neil Nifton Cadet
Paul Rowe Cadet
Can't remember the rest
This may interest you it's an account of a voyage of the Silvercove R/O. I sailed at the same time as 2/O. I can verify the authenticity of the report.Certainly a good ship, a good run and a great bunch. Not many wanted to leave but I had my time in fro sitting Masters so I left. The advantage I found after a fairly long stay ( maybe 15 months ) I had qualified for a full tax rebate, very nice and helped out while I studied at college. aNy way here's the report of the entire voyage by R/O Philpotts

MV Silvercove (Silverline) (philpott.de)

· Registered
412 Posts
This may interest you it's an account of a voyage of the Silvercove R/O. I sailed at the same time as 2/O. I can verify the authenticity of the report.Certainly a good ship, a good run and a great bunch. Not many wanted to leave but I had my time in fro sitting Masters so I left. The advantage I found after a fairly long stay ( maybe 15 months ) I had qualified for a full tax rebate, very nice and helped out while I studied at college. aNy way here's the report of the entire voyage by R/O Philpotts

MV Silvercove (Silverline) (philpott.de)
That`s an interesting Viewpoint. I had 3months on `Cove in `74. UBE to Hong-Kong. via Australia and the Philippines as 3Eng; The Capt; sig; is hard to decipher but could be D Hannson?. The C/O and I shared a liking for squash. and he had a "Court" painted in the hold immediately f`ord of the bridge. (light ship) We would go down there and Attempt to play.!. Must have been barmy. it was stinking hot!. But ran off aggression!!. I too left to go do Seconds Part B. On the Promise of a 2/Eng; job (never materialised). That came the following Year on CIty of Ankara.

· Registered
2 Posts
That`s an interesting Viewpoint. I had 3months on `Cove in `74. UBE to Hong-Kong. via Australia and the Philippines as 3Eng; The Capt; sig; is hard to decipher but could be D Hannson?. The C/O and I shared a liking for squash. and he had a "Court" painted in the hold immediately f`ord of the bridge. (light ship) We would go down there and Attempt to play.!. Must have been barmy. it was stinking hot!. But ran off aggression!!. I too left to go do Seconds Part B. On the Promise of a 2/Eng; job (never materialised). That came the following Year on CIty of Ankara.
[/QUOTE
The IMO was likely the best ship I sailed on. I sailed with Silver Line from 1959 until 1972. The 'Cove as on a long term charter to Seaboard ( 5 years I believe and I sailed on her twice. Once as 2/0 and once as C/O. We ran from the Eastern Seaboard ( Boston ~ Newport Range ) Coal/scrap to Japan and then ballast to Vancouver and load a full load of lumber ( deck load) back to the East Coast USA. Sometimes we just ballasted direct from NY to Vancouver depending on the T/C rate for that size vessel. On my last voy we discharged our Canadian lumber upriver in Albany NY and then loaded grain for Algiers/Skikda in Algeria. That was my last voyage, I emigrated after that to Vancouver. It was also the end of the Seaboard charter. I gotta say she looked first class when I disembarked and Capt Mike Smith Superintendant told me, Malcolm, she looks like a yacht LOL. I felt it was a good way to finish my sea career. I've now lived in Vancouver for 49 years and it's the best move I ever made. The first voyage on the 'Cove saw quite a few chaps marry and settle in Vancouver, engineers and mates. For the most part I usually got stuck on the car carriers the 'Beach and the 'Sea. Once you become used to those car carriers (car deck and grain rigging) they just put you back there again and again. Hard-working ships, Nagoya to US Gulf with Toyotas and or VW Bremen range or British cars Cardiff both up the lakes, as far as Chicago and Duluth. Real nasty in the Wintertime. The hours you worked were incredible. Anyway, all's well that ends well. I lucked out in Vcr married my wife there and fell into good career. LOL

· Registered
1 Posts
Come on you old Silver Liners. There are lots of people whom we sailed with who are cworth a comment. Cap Ronnie Safe (the only Master serving with the MN who had a certificate to say that he was sane!!!!, his words) C/E Albert Trotter, Cap Don Troop (was he ever sober?) Albert RN the Chief Steward, Tommy Wilson, another chief steward, Billy Graham, no not that Billy Graham, this one an engineer. lets get this up and running
Wow, it’s been 15 years since you posted this message, but my dad was Cardiff Ship Stores, David Evans, we, as a family regularly had trips on the ore carriers in the 69’s & 79’s, we sailed with Ron Safe several times, along with Michael Duke and Capt Jones.
Small World.
Paul Evans.

· Registered
38 Posts
I confess I enjoyed sailing with Silver Line. The company tramped so it seemed like new destinations all the time. The variety of trades and cargoes really stood me in good stead when I went ashore for my deck tickets. I didn't enjoy the car carriers, a lot of work and short port stays. There again the 'Cove suited me perfectly. Each trip into Vancouver we had a good party relationship with a local hospital. The shore people in Vancouver were very hospitable and frequently invited visits to their home. I sailed with Silver Line from 1959 until 1972. 1970 was the time Silver Line was sold to Clarksons who manned their ships with Scottish Ship Management, that bumped the Silverline guys waiting for promotion way down the ladder. Funny thing on the take over Sparks received a telegram just off the Belle Isle Straights which said changes will occur. The Old man was John Kennar, in his 60's and genuinely he thought he would lose his pension he was besides himself. Later Sparks took the telegram again and found out that he's missed the word NO changes will occur LOL The most unusable trip was on the 'Cove when the Chinese crew mutinied coming out of Victoria Canada. The Old man was Roy Jenkins and he immediately got on the VHF and requested the help of the RCMP. That sorted the crew out. A particular bad bunch, mostly the dregs of the boarding house in Hong Kong but with the addition of 4 young main land Chinese, real trouble makers. When Capt Jenkins left he was replaced by Austin Hurst who immediately ordered a shot gun for himself LOL. I slept with my door locked and a steel marlin spike under my pillow. They frequently tried my dood handle. In Newark they destroyed the bosun, carried off to the hospital on a strecher. Eventually they were replaced. Yeah life at sea was different

· Registered
42 Posts
Hi Malcolm, interesting times. I was with Scottish Ship Management during the time in which you say that they took over the manningt of Silver Line. I can't remember that ever happening. Possible that it was Denholms who managed Silver Line at that time.

· Registered
38 Posts
Hi Malcolm, interesting times. I was with Scottish Ship Management during the time in which you say that they took over the manningt of Silver Line. I can't remember that ever happening. Possible that it was Denholms who managed Silver Line at that time.
look aroun
Silver Line at that time managed their own ships, there own maintenance, chartering, full compliment of engineering Supt. It became popular about the time to have ship manement companies that managed more and more vessels ( likely an accounts concept LOL ) I was on an Ore Carrier at that time ( Aldersgate ? ) The Supt was Captain Mike Smith and we'd sailed together a number of times, so Mike came into the cabin and told me Malcolm the take over means SSM will be at the top of the ladder best have a look around. I know we saw a lot of new ( to us any way ) Masters many poor quaility. I should not say this but they we're not the grade we had been used to. I remained with Silver Line until I swalloed the anchor and went ashore to live in Vancouver, so it worked out very well in the end. Most of the posts are laters than my days. I came ashore in1972

661 - 680 of 688 Posts