Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completely baffled by this. I can insert a table, and put the figures in the columns, but I just cannot figure out how to add them up. Does anyone know how to do this in simple language please?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am completely baffled by this. I can insert a table, and put the figures in the columns, but I just cannot figure out how to add them up. Does anyone know how to do this in simple language please?
I assume that you are using a spreadsheet, in this case OpenOffice Calc.
If so, then enter =SUM(x:y) in the cell at the bottom of the column where you want the total to appear. x = the first cell and y = the last cell in the column.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - Not a spreadsheet, just columns in a table. I have been trying to do this on and off for over a year. When I put the curser at the bottom of the column and pressed the E, it just put something like <sum C1 C2> in the box and then defied all my efforts to make it produce a sum.
Later this morning, however, after a lot of messing about with it, after I pressed the E and then Enter, it added the column up. I went to my ,laptop that that also suffered from the same problem, but without me having to do anything at all, it is now working in the laptop as well. A complete mystery.
Although I am generally pretty good with computers, all this "x = the first cell and y =" business doesn't mean anything to me, and I usually have to find out by trial and error. The problem in both computers was the moment I pressed the E, it came up with something like <sum C1 C2> in the box, and after that, would not do anything. For reasons unknown to me, both PCs have just started to work with adding up, and I have not done anything different in either -

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Hi Bob,
When you pressed Enter, the sum operation was inserted in the page and functioned, giving the sum amount. If you don't push enter, the operation does not exist.
Best Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must have pressed enter a thousand times in the past year, but the problem always was that the formula would not go away. For years I have been adding up columns in MS Word 2000 without any problem, but it never worked with Open Office until today, and then for no reason, because I hadn't changed anything. I just hope it keeps working.
Thanks for replies
Bob

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Good luck, Bob! We are damned with Windows, but we have no other option!
Rgds.
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts