Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1980 the Sir John Snell was laid up at Newcastle quay, she eventually sailed, loaded scrap for Spain, after discharge she was also scrapped

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
remember her discharging coal at shor4ham power station years ago. she always looked smart too.

·
Registered
426 Posts
SJS

She was slold in 1980 to the Agmar Shipping Co Ltd, Sunderland and r/n the AGMAR I before her final journey.

Unforetunately she did not have a career without incident. On the 4.4.57, in dense fog, she was in collision with the Metcalfe vessel LISBETH M near the North Goodwin Lightship. The LM was sunk and although the SJS launched her lifeboats and picked up some of the crew there was loss of life.

Regards

NigelC
Ex R/O SJS 1963

Attachments

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
them twin chimneys must bring back loads of memories, sailing in or out (Thumb)

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
last i heard was that the twin chimneys were removed. my older brother used them as a landmark when he was flying into shoreham airport.thanks for the picture. thats the same berth i saw her bin all them years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Sir John Snell's maiden voyage was around March 1955. Main engined by North Eastern Marine with reheat to IP cylinder, Andrews and Cameron poppet valves, Belliss and Morcambe generators that provided more than ample DC power through a dead front switchboard for Hydro Electric steering gear, Electric galley cooking ranges and other gear. Good accomodation.

I sailed as relieving 2nd eng'r during a break from tankers and was in time to be caught up in the six month guarantee surveys for a couple of month...the Electricity Generating Board built a fine ship and there were no real problems. As a tanker man I reckon the Electricity Generating Board built a fine ship, pity about the trade. Good household/steaming coal from Blyth to the continent with backload of coal duff for Littlebrooke power station (!).

Often wondered what became of her, now I know. Thanks Jeff.

Regards....standby (R345910)

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Always remember Engineers showing me their 'Room' & quoting " All Steam & NO BLACKHEADS". Excellent clean E/Rm due to Engineers & Donkey/Motorman having PRIDE in their work place, unlike what happens in todays workplace!! (Thumb)

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
i have to admit to being impressed with the "Keynes" engine room too. that little old steam jenny humming away quietly. and i just loved the old "up and downer" trip exp engine. would love to have sailed on her, but never a berth available when she came in.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Did Albert Le Blond, Wear Dry-dock owner, try & have her set in concrete on the sea wall at Roker as a tourist / maritime site or even restuarant?

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Pat McCardle said:
Did Albert Le Blond, Wear Dry-dock owner, try & have her set in concrete on the sea wall at Roker as a tourist / maritime site or even restuarant?
Think that was another collier he had in mind Pat

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
It was one of the smaller ones Pat. I done a couple of relief trips for him on the coast and can remember rumours about it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Remember watching the Sir John Snell and her sisters, James Rowan and Charles H. Merz being built, (force of habit calling a ship a she, even though the ship is named after a bloke. I'd rather call a ship a she than an it. P.C. gone mad as usual). They were built at Hall Russells in Aberdeen during 1955. Used to come across them often when I was on the Thomas Livesey (flat iron, North Thame Gas Board) in 1961-1962.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Think it was Cliff Quay tyhat was going to be encased in concrete at Sunderland.
Apparently the story at the time was that AGMAR stood for A.G. gibbons the ships chandlers and MARshalls the shipping agents both Sunderland based. She was not allowed to leave the Tyne becasue the Harbour Master deemed her unseaworthy so the skipper of the Spanish tug into tow her to Spain sailed out at midnight with no lights showing and she was later found drifting off Norfolk (I think) so annother tug took to the breakers.

Graham

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Graham

Hadn't heard that little titbit before - would be grateful if anybody could expand on that.

S.J.S. was my first solo trip as R/O

Regards

NigelC

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
sir John Snell

Quote:Unforetunately she did not have a career without incident. /I].

attached, a photo of said ship in drydock following a shunt with the S.Shields pier 1959

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Geordie

At the last MOT I appeared to be fine tks. At least winters coming now and the missus won't have so many jobs lined up for me to do. More time for SN

Hope your keeping okay

Regards

NigelC

1 - 20 of 32 Posts