Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Battle of the Atlantic special event 20-27th May

Bill Cross, G0ELZ, Chairman of the Marine Museum Society, Wallasey, UK, and David Oakden G3UFO, have announced that special event call signs GB70BOA and GB70WA will be on the air between May 20-27th.

The event will be hosted by the Marine Radio Museum Society (Wallasey) [resident callsign GB4FPR], at Fort Perch Rock New Brighton.

Members of the Wirral and District Amateur Radio Club (WADARC), the Chester & District Amateur Radio Society (CADARS) and the Tall Trees Contest Group [G5D] (based in Cheshire) will activate GB70BOA from Fort Perch Rock at the Mersey entrance and GB70WA from the Leasowe Lighthouse.

The activity is to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic. Approximately 2,800 merchant ships were lost during this battle and 30,000 merchant seamen lost their lives. Similarly, 30,000 Allied Naval and Air Force personnel and 30,000 Kriegsmarine sailors also lost their lives. These numbers vary according to whose history of WW2 you read, and the above numbers are a rough average.

Operations will take place on all band 80-10 meters, as well as VHF/UHF operations on 144 and 432 MHz on all modes. This event is especially important to Liverpool and other Merseyside hams because the battle was commanded from the Western Approaches command and is now a premiere WW II museum in Liverpool.

Operators are hoping to make over 2800 contacts during this period. A special QSL card is being produced in commemoration.

More details can be found on QRZ.com as well as: http://www.clanlinereunion.co.uk/BA70-page10.html
GB70BOA and GB70WA are part of the official recognition of this event

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to put up info on the East Coast USA Old Military Radio Nets (phone and CW). The phone net has been meeting at o'dark hundred (0500 Eastern) through around 0700 on 3885 kc every Saturday morning since about 1989. Most stations check in on AM, since that is the only voice mode supported by most of the mil sets being used which date back to WW2 and earlier (unless you count the simultaneous AM and FM of the venerable BC-375s/191s!), but sideband check ins, and even CW from those on low power in the field or mobile are also welcome. Net control is usually Ted, W3PWW in York PA. We get check ins from the midwest and up and down the East Coast from Florida to Maine. Recently, we had 16 different ART-13s check in to one session!

The CW net meets on Sunday night from 2100 Eastern to about 2200 (we usually do two rounds of the net check ins) on 3570 kc. Ted is also usually NCS on the CW net. LST325 (WW2LST) with RO Perry W8AU, is a frequent check in if they are underway or Perry is on board at their Evansville Indiana homeport. Several Federal and Mackay, and Navy shipboard transmitters (TCM, TCK, TBL etc) show up regularly, USS Massachusetts also is up on the net from time to time (N1EPL).

73 de AJ1G

Chris Bowne
Stonington,CT

·
Registered
124 Posts
ON70REDSTAR - Red Star Line - 21 Sep to 21 Oct 2013

Between 1873 and 1934 the Ocean liners from the Red Star Line sailed to the United States with more than two million adventurers and fortune-hunters on board.

Special callsign ON70REDSTAR will air on HF SSB from 21 September 'til 21 October 2013 to commemorate the Red Star Line and to celebrate the opening of the Red Star Line Museum in Antwerp on 28 September.

QSL information on QRZ.com (www.qrz.com/db/ON70REDSTAR).

Museum information www.redstarline.be/

·
Registered
124 Posts
II1RT - 100 years of the rank of Radio Telegraphist in the Italian Royal Navy

2013 celebrates 100 years since the introduction of the category of "Radio telegraphist" among the ranks of the Italian Royal Navy.

Many stations, operated by INORC (Italian Naval "Old Rhythmers" Club) members, will be on the air until 2359 UTC 12th December 2013 with special call II1RT followed by the number of the respective call area.

The Italian Royal Navy, under Law 797 of 21st July 1913 established the category of "Radio Operator" and its distinctive six sparks generated between two balls of the spark gap .

The Italian Navy had already ' begun to take an interest in radio with a period of collaboration with Marconi. The transatlantic transmissions from 1901 and 1902 finally dispelled any doubt about the validity of wireless telegraphy, so that King Victor Emmanuel III led the Navy to make available to scientist the Royal Cruiser "Carlo Alberto" which performed a radio-cruise from Naples to the seas at the extreme north of Europe.

The Navy had a large number of staff who were already familiar with Morse code, including semaphore men and helmsman. After short courses of retraining these men were registered for Wireless Telegraphy service.

In the early years, the Italian Royal Navy developed an intensive program of organizational and technical preparation of their personnel . In 1903 exercises were carried out with wireless telegraphy and between 1904 and 1905 almost all the major ships and some torpedo boats were provided with a WT station. In 1906 more formal training for wireless operators commenced at Varignano, La Spezia which was already the School or Semaphore.

http://www.inorc.it/

http://www.qrz.com/db/II1RT

·
Registered
124 Posts
486kHz transmission on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day by WG2XFQ

Brian Justin, WA1ZMS/4, an active participant in the ARRL’s
WD2XSH 600 meter experimental project, will transmit voice and
music on 486kHz as WG2XFQ on Christmas Day and then again on New Year’s Day.

Transmissions will begin at 00.01 GMT and end at 23.59 GMT.

Justin will use an AM audio loop modulating his vintage-style,
homebrew transmitter to honour Reginald Fessenden’s Christmas Eve 1906 AM voice transmission.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maritime & CW Watch Frequencies

For both ex-seagoing Radio Officers and those who just love CW, a new calling frequency of 7050 kHz has been established in Australia and wherever else wishes to take it up.

This is the idea of Lou / VK5EEE (www.qrz.com/db/VK5EEE) and Peter VK4QC (ex VIA, VIB, VID, VIS).

Beyond Australia, Jeff KH6O in Hawaii has indicated that he will monitor the frequency.

K6KPH stands watch on 7050kcs each Saturday from about 1800Z to about 0000Z and often have a wheel/callband running on the frequency. K6KPH is on fixed frequencies using ex-KPH transmitters and their ops will understand QSS and UP for those who want to dust off their RO skills. (They also run WX for the North Pacific via KSM on 426/4/6/8/12/16/22 for about 1.5hrs at 25wpm.

K6KPH also keeps guard on 18097.5 and this has been suggested as a possible watch/calling frequency for the wider world.

http://www.vkcw.net/7050

·
no longer actively involved
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've posted this before but if anyone wants to monitor a frequency while on the internet there is no better way to do it than this bearing in mind the radio and aerial are based in the Netherlands ... http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
It doesn't work with some browsers but using Google Chrome I listen occasionally to BBC Long Wave on 198 kc/s AM and it comes thru beautifully with that old nostalgic ring.
I find this other Dutch one rather handy at times, in fact used it yesterday when things were a bit long on 40m for some on the RAIBC net....it's better than listening to overs of white noise during the net.
http://weert.websdr.nl/
Works on all devices I use, chrome and ipad

Whole raft of web sdr's listed here
http://websdr.org/

The global map of them is handy for finding one from the area best suited for your needs.

·
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Far too complicated for us old Sparkers, Andy...Bet your shack is full of Jap gear?
That's quite funny as the site I gave a link to is an identical layout to the one you posted a link to, just a different location and better rx aerial. What precisely is far too complicated compared to the contents of your own post, or couldn't you understand your own post either? (Jester)

I really should know better than take the bait of one of SN's resident trolls, but my shack is a mixture of US (Elecraft, Alpha, Bencher/Vibroplex), Bulgarian (Acom), Italian (SPE), Germany (Weller) and Japanese (Icom) and of course England with my own homebrew projects.
I even have an aerial made in Wales, but there is nothing worth mentioning from Scotland.

Don't gamble mate.

·
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Excepting the one I gave covers continuously 00-29.160 mhz and yours including those in your "raft" link appear to be all ham band dedicated or am I missing something?
The full index of web sdr's that I gave, which includes your favourite one, includes others that cover the entire HF spectrum, some with gaps some without. Many of these sdr receivers are not run by amateur's nor even those with any particular interest in amateur bands.
So yes, you are missing something.

But this particular thread 'SN Member Skeds & Special Events Stations on Amateur Radio Bands' does revolve around amateur band use, so I'd say the links are extremely relevant

·
Registered
135 Posts
T1154/R1155 etc vintage activity 6th Feb.

VMARS announced an AM net for 6/2/16 0800 onwards, 3615, to try and get some of the 100 or so known T1154s on air again. As these sets were hardly ever used on R/T I proposed CW activity that evening starting at 1830 around 3570. Its not necessarily a net but QSOs with vintage gear if possible. I'll have my T1154 on air so be prepared for some drift and chirp.
73, Andrew

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trouble trying to post

Ahoy! I want to post a msg but can't seem to determine whether to go through the "reply to post" or find the ever-so-elusive "start new thread" route. What I want to do is let the amateur radio guys (especially those that were brass pounders on ships) of an upcoming special event from RCA's old WCC/CHATHAM RADIO honoring the anniversary of RCA's first day of ship-to-shore radiotelegraphy 95 years ago. We will have several old-time CW ops that actually worked at WCC as well as other coastal radio stations. So, please bail me out with specific instructions of how to post using the "sticky" system designed for that purpose. Than you in advance...
R S RYDER

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having just read the above posts I'm still none the wiser!
Has anyone agreed on a frequency for Europe?
Suggest somewhere between 14050 and 14060, it's normally quiet around there. The skeds/freqs in Aussie and Hawaii not much use to me here in SVA!

·
Registered
24 Posts
CR6LH - José Luís-CT1GZB, Carlos Cortês-CT1CSY e Rafael-CT2JXT are going
to participate in ILLW 2016 International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend,
with the special callsign CR6LH, days 20 and 21 of August 2016, from Cabo
Espichel Lighthouse, with follow references:
ILLW: PT-0005
DFP: FES-11
DPRN: FF-03 (CTFF-03) Natural Park of Arrábida
ARLHS: POR-009
PFFP (Portuguese Lighthouses & Beacons Plaque): PF-049
And hope to be active in the most number of HF bands possible in SSB, PSK31 and CW
QSL: Bureau or Direct to CT1GZB

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
The Radio Officers Association Amateur Radio Society (ROARS) has a new-ish sked on Tuesdays which is notionally for members but in reality welcomes all former R/O's as the intention is to keep CW and morse alive. These are the details:
New ROARS Sked on Tuesdays
NEW RAGCHEW(TUES)DAY SKED

We would like to propose the following new sked to encourage more members to go on the air for a leisurely CW chat as we used to do during a slack watch at sea. This will provide an on air meeting place and time to connect with colleagues/ friends which we don’t have at the moment.

Please note that this is not a Net and there will be no Net Controller. However for the first few weeks there will be a couple of us waiting in the wings to help things along. As a matter of courtesy, QSOs should proceed at the speed of the slower operator. Once a QSO is established please QSY Up or down to make room for others to make a call.

SKED DETAILS

WHEN Commencing Tuesday Sept. 6th and weekly thereafter from 1000 – 1100 Local time.

Call Freqs: 3538 KHz and 7017 KHz.

Call format: CQ ROA DE MYCALL.

Exchange: RST + Op Name + (optional) Membership Number. + QSY +/- KHz.

Call Speed: What you are comfortable with. (Speed of slower Operator)

Topics: Your choice of Topic.

Duration: As long as you like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not much good for CW, but if you look for spots for N1ZZZ/MM you can give me a shout.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Maritime Radio Day

On the 14th & 15th of April 2018 the MRD – Maritime Radio Day event is being held. This involves ham radio stations from all over the world with a maritime connection working each other on cw. This connection may be merely an interest in things maritime or they may be ex-seagoing or Coast Station operators or technic al staff. They can use their own ham calls or use specially allocated calls where these are available, these calls may include the callsign of the Coast Station(s) they worked at. When I last checked GB0GKA and GB0GLD had registered to participate, other ex-Coast Station operators will be on air using their own calls. Some well known calls like DAN, DAO and DHS will also be on air.

For more information see:-

http://www.mrd.seefunker.eu/mrd_history.php

I will be operating GB0GLV like I did last year. Hope to work some of you!

Now must go and polish my cw, I’m not very QRL these days……

21 - 40 of 58 Posts