Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry to hear you won't be on Bob but as you say if it's a three-line whip what can you do !!! At least you'll have the Guinness...

Maybe work you next year.

73's

·
Registered
16 Posts
ZM50GW remembering Wahine ZMGW

Throughout April 2018, ZM50GW is on air from Auckland, marking the 50th anniversary of the sinking of TEV Wahine ZMGW.

Operations are CW and SSB on 80, 40 and 20 metres. Check DX clusters for latest frequencies.

This is the first in a series of 3 special event stations marking maritime tragedies of 1968.

Details, including QSL info for ZM50GW are at maritimeradio.org/zm50gw

·
Registered
266 Posts
Still 2 weeks of operation left for the GKA 90th Anniversary Stations:
GB0GKA from nr Tiverton, operated by Tony/G3ZRJ
GB0GKB from Burnham on Sea, operated by Larry/G4HLN
GB0GKC from Weston super Mare, operated by Pete/G3TJE.
All ex-GKA R/Os.
Nearly 1000 QSOs between all stations made already, including many ex-R/Os and a couple of /MM stations. Further information on the qrz.com page under each callsign.
Larry +

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lookout on Thursday 12th December 2019 for GB2GM when members of the Poldhu ARC will hopefully operate conditions allowing on 40m and 20m to commemorate the first Atlantic transmission by Marconi on December 12th 1901.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are stations that are communicating with covert agents inside countries where they have been assigned. The numbers are encrypted code which give instructions to the covert operator and are also results (locations of dead drops , times of transmissions, and etc.) sent by that operator to their handlers.

These number stations can be CW or voice.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Don't forget "Maritime Radio Day" on 14th/15th April 2020. Ex-seagoing R/Os and coast station R/Os with amateur radio licences will be taking part. Representatives from GKA, GLV, GLD, FFL, DAN, DAO, PCH, WCC and many more have registered.

Full details at http://www.mrd.seefunker.eu/mrd_registry.php
Thanks for posting the reminder Larry.

I will be on air signing GB0GLV as usual. My antennas are in a rather sad state after the winds we had over the last few weeks but hopefully I’ll get a long wire of some sort set up before the day. I have my trusty hf vertical which always withstands the high winds but that’s not particularly effective... The preferred frequencies are:-

1.824 kHz, 3520 kHz, 7020 kHz, 10118 kHz, 14052 kHz, 21052 kHz and 28052 kHz (+/- qrm)

Hope to see as many of you as possible. If you’re not a licensed ham but have a short wave receiver have a listen on around these frequencies and see who you can hear, there’s a link to a list of participants at the bottom of this page:-

http://www.mrd.seefunker.eu/mrd_registry.php

If you don't possess a suitable receiver there are lots of SDR receivers that can be accessed via the internet, one I occasionally use is this one, just input any frequency then you can tune up or down a few kc/s:-

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

73’s de
John
Gw3vvc
(ex GTZM/GKL/GLV)

·
Registered
266 Posts
An early heads-up.

Between 1st and 28th July 2020, GB100GKU will be operating from my home QTH of Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the long-range maritime radio service in the UK, which commenced from Devizes Radio (GKU) in 1920.

Operation will be mainly cw although some SSB contacts will take place as required. Bands between 10m-40m will be used, but I am hoping to get a temporary aerial erected to allow me to use 80m if possible.

A special QSL card will be issued if required.

This operation forms part of the 100th anniversary celebrations which also include the publication of a book about the history of GKA which is due for release in July. More details on how to order will be published shortly.

Sadly, due to COVID-19 issues we have had to cancel/postpone other events such as the staff reunion, GKA exhibition and illustrated talks to local radio and history clubs. However, normal service will hopefully be resumed in due course.

Please visit the website www.portisheadradio.co.uk for regular updates.

Larry +

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't forget that GB100GKU commences operations on 1st July, probably on 20m cw around 0900 GMT. If conditions are not good (which they haven't been of late) I will move up/down to 40m or 15m/17m and see what is around. If there is a 10m Sporadic-E opening I will QSY accordingly.

·
Registered
266 Posts
GB100GKU completed operations on 28th July. 2,755 contacts from 69 countries, including many ex-seagoing R/Os. Also a few contacts with ex-staff from GKA, GND, PCH, DAN, OXZ, LGB, SPE, DHS and no doubt a few more.

Thanks to all who made contact.

Larry G4HLN +

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Well done on such a superb effort to keep the spirit and history of GKU/GKL/GKA alive.
Lest we forget..

F5VBU ex GKA GCC GND

·
Registered
266 Posts
Advance notice of another special event station - GB4CKS will be operating from the QTH of myself (G4HLN) between 1st-14th November to commemorate the 85th anniversary of the passing of Australian aviation pioneer Sir Charles Kingsford Smith (after whom Sydney Airport is named). He was lost when his aircraft "Lady Southern Cross" came down off the coast of Burma in November 1935.

My link to him is through my XYL, who is related to him through ancestry - so there is a family connection!

Operation will mainly be on cw on bands between 10m and 40m, with a special QSL card available for all contacts.

Larry +

·
Registered
47 Posts
'Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance'

The number of times I have seen that not only on ham radio but also on ships' bridges.
You ask the mate to pass a message and after it has passed through his own personal enigma machine between his ears you are left wondering if it is in fact your message that is being relayed......
It is like a game we would play in elementary school. Teacher would line up chairs and each student would set down. The teacher would wisper a message into the ear of the first child in the line. That child would then say the message they had heard into the child next to them and so on and so forth. The last child would the be asked to repeat what they had heard. The teacher would write the original message on the chalk board. And all could see the big difference between what was originally said and what was eventually passed on through many ears and toungues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is like a game we would play in elementary school. Teacher would line up chairs and each student would set down. The teacher would whisper a message into the ear of the first child in the line. That child would then say the message they had heard into the child next to them and so on and so forth. The last child would the be asked to repeat what they had heard. The teacher would write the original message on the chalk board. And all could see the big difference between what was originally said and what was eventually passed on through many ears and tongues.
Supposedly the original message was different: In the annals of military folklore is the story of the supposed orders being sent by a British unit in World War 1 that was sent as "Send reinforcements, we are going to advance" but received by the addressee as: 'Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance'

DR

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hope to be on air signing GB0GLV, ~200 watts into a Cushcraft MA5V vertical - won't be setting the airwaves alight but I always enjoy MRD!

The following from the MRD pages:-

"DL0MCM plan to be QRV on the 630m band on this date as well. Although this does not directly affect the MRD, it should be an additional offer. Yesterday I was on the traditional ship with Jürgen DF7TT and we have them Transmission technology tested positive.

An SNS 577 marine radio emergency transmitter is used. It delivers 50W on the (drawn) crystal frequency of 473.7 kHz.

Activity times: 04/14 19: 00-05: 00 UTC April 15 19: 00-22: 00 UTC CQ the first 10 minutes of every full hour"

Dust down that old Atalanta and have a listen!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts