Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS is another bit of, (spoken), grammar which 'grates' every time I hear it!

WHY do so many people, when being interviewed on TV, start their reply to a question they've been asked with "So!"?

It's probably akin to the politicians "Well!" when they're asked a question, (which, of course, they NEVER answer!), i.e. a 'time gap' wherein they can gather their thoughts.

WILL this 'observation' attract the same massive feed-back as my last critique?

I wait with breath suitably bated! Phil

·
Registered
133 Posts
I totally agree with you Phil. This is something that has annoyed me for some time now and I thought it was only me. I have no idea where it originated from but it seems to be used more and more frequently.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
So what?

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Phil, When used as the introduction to the answer to a question it is intended as an abbreviation to save the person pontificating the trouble of saying it in full each time.
It actually means: 'So, what I am about to tell you is well beyond your level of comprehension but here goes'.
It should be couched in a demeaning manner to convey the interviewee's superior intellect.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
So

I totally agree with you Phil. This is something that has annoyed me for some time now and I thought it was only me. I have no idea where it originated from but it seems to be used more and more frequently.
Like a lot of other bad habits and appalling use of our language, from USA. Where else? Should we be surprised? Just listen to their leader!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Phil, When used as the introduction to the answer to a question it is intended as an abbreviation to save the person pontificating the trouble of saying it in full each time.
It actually means: 'So, what I am about to tell you is well beyond your level of comprehension but here goes'.
It should be couched in a demeaning manner to convey the interviewee's superior intellect.
Another favourite politico's reply begins: "I'm glad you asked me that, but before I give you an answer I think that it's important to say...blah,blah".

Brian

·
Registered
212 Posts
At school,I had a teacher of English who loathed the use of the word ‘nice’. It was never to be spoken or written. To this day, I find it difficult to use the word, even when wanting one of those ‘N..e’ biscuits.
I do agree that So is irritating, but I find “oh my God”, “Amazin” and the Eff word in every sentence even more So.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Mad Landsman is probably right. Scientists/experts asked to explain something also use "OK.. (pause)" which means " How can I frame my answer in terms which you a mere lay person might begin to understand...". Also irritating is the use of "..., going forward" at the end of a sentence consisting mainly of banal cliches. Has any one else noticed interviewees ending with "Thank you for having me" which always reminds me of small children being picked by mum after a visit for play/tea. And another thing........

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
I have noticed that once or twice recently but more frequently I witness the rudeness of most Antique Road Show guests who do not say 'Thank you" to the ever attentive experts. I would have said that that would be an automatic response not eclipsed by the stress of being selected for the 'spotlight' treatment.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Why is everything even slightly pleasant described as "amazing" nowadays, dare I say it , mostly by the females. Probably another import from over the water. Also this tendency for the younger women to sound more and more masculine, yet another import ? Bah Humbug !!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Why is everything even slightly pleasant described as "amazing" nowadays, dare I say it , mostly by the females. Probably another import from over the water. Also this tendency for the younger women to sound more and more masculine, yet another import ? Bah Humbug !!
you are obviously the fly in the ointment?? so?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Absolutely. How does that answer a question? But it seems to be used more and more as the opener to an answer.
So, I absolutely agree with pretty well all the other gripes here.
Bob

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another vastly-overused word-----

----Mike, is "Fantastic!".

"Fantastic!" is used ad nauseum by ALL programme 'hosts' on the BBC.

For example!

Somebody being interviewed, after raising money for a charity by 'running' a mile in around an hour whilst wearing an old canvas diving suit complete with copper helmet and lead boots, will be told what a "fantastic" thing they've just done! Phil

·
Registered
592 Posts
THIS is another bit of, (spoken), grammar which 'grates' every time I hear it!

WHY do so many people, when being interviewed on TV, start their reply to a question they've been asked with "So!"?

It's probably akin to the politicians "Well!" when they're asked a question, (which, of course, they NEVER answer!), i.e. a 'time gap' wherein they can gather their thoughts.

WILL this 'observation' attract the same massive feed-back as my last critique?

I wait with breath suitably bated! Phil
I remember my English teacher Ma Briggs saying never start a sentence with "and but or so".

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I have noticed that when people, mainly young people, are asked “How are you today?” Reply “Good.” Whatever happened to “Fine, thank you. And how are you?”

1 - 20 of 52 Posts