Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOMERSET, built by John Brown & Co Clydebank and launched July 30th 1962. 7600grt. She had 5 holds of 449086 cu ft of reefer space and a service speed of 16.1/2knts. Engaged on the UK to Aus/NZ trade she made her final voyage from Auckland on Aug 8th 1979 for Avonmouth (where she is seen here entering the locks). She was sold to Damirika Shipping Corp of Monrovia and re-named AEGEAN SKY. She left Jeddah on 14th Sept 84 bound for the breakers at Chittagong.

Thanks to FLYER for all additional info.
photo courtesy of P.W.Hobday.
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
3 Posts
Seeing the corn-coloured hull reminds of a sight I saw on the wharf at Timaru many years ago. In those days the wharves were very accessible to the public and a number of the younger members of the populace used to frequent the Crew Bars aboard the British ships and used to park their cars alongside.
On this particular day, the crew had been painting the ship and decided that one of the cars needed a new paint job as well. It was quite a sight - a Hillman Minx completely covered (and I mean completely!) in P&O corporate hull colours! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,180 Posts
flyer682 said:
Seeing the corn-coloured hull reminds of a sight I saw on the wharf at Timaru many years ago. In those days the wharves were very accessible to the public and a number of the younger members of the populace used to frequent the Crew Bars aboard the British ships and used to park their cars alongside.
On this particular day, the crew had been painting the ship and decided that one of the cars needed a new paint job as well. It was quite a sight - a Hillman Minx completely covered (and I mean completely!) in P&O corporate hull colours! :eek:
Would that have been in November 1978? Can't remember if it was a Hillman Minx but it got a coat of paint. I was an EDH on her then, my 1st ship I spent 2 years on her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,180 Posts
julian anstis said:
SOMERSET, built by John Brown & Co Clydebank and launched July 30th 1962. 7600grt. She had 5 holds of 449086 cu ft of reefer space and a service speed of 16.1/2knts. Engaged on the UK to Aus/NZ trade she made her final voyage from Auckland on Aug 8th 1979 for Avonmouth (where she is seen here entering the locks). She was sold to Damirika Shipping Corp of Monrovia and re-named AEGEAN SKY. She left Jeddah on 14th Sept 84 bound for the breakers at Chittagong.

Thanks to FLYER for all additional info.
photo courtesy of P.W.Hobday.
Best ship on the Kiwi coast!! Anyone disagree?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
julian anstis said:
SOMERSET, built by John Brown & Co Clydebank and launched July 30th 1962. 7600grt. She had 5 holds of 449086 cu ft of reefer space and a service speed of 16.1/2knts. Engaged on the UK to Aus/NZ trade she made her final voyage from Auckland on Aug 8th 1979 for Avonmouth (where she is seen here entering the locks). She was sold to Damirika Shipping Corp of Monrovia and re-named AEGEAN SKY. She left Jeddah on 14th Sept 84 bound for the breakers at Chittagong.

Thanks to FLYER for all additional info.
photo courtesy of P.W.Hobday.

Oh those colours!!, why didnt they leave her alone, she was such a good looking vessel in her original colours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will get Ron to sort it for you Doug...............now what colour's do you fancy....patterns can be applied, but do take a bit longer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
No I am a plain Jane, just give me the original please...altho I served I did not have to agree to the later P&O names and colour scheme................AND I DONT AND WONT!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3 Posts
Pat McCardle said:
Would that have been in November 1978? Can't remember if it was a Hillman Minx but it got a coat of paint. I was an EDH on her then, my 1st ship I spent 2 years on her.
When I posted that, I didn't expect to find anyone who would own up to it!! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,180 Posts
flyer682 said:
When I posted that, I didn't expect to find anyone who would own up to it!! :p
Where/what were you on at the time David? We were laid up in Timaru for 6 weeks then under the loaders for 5 days & off back to Avonmouth, paying off on New Years Eve, you should have seen the faces of the work-by crew joining then!!. I remember the quayside, in Timaru, being packed, even a band played us off & we were outside the harbour for about half a hour giving our whistle a good blow or 2. Timaru, my favourite Kiwi port!! (Thumb) I was known then as 'The Goon' (*))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,180 Posts
Ron B Manderson said:
I hope this is to your liking

I just aim to please .
Now Douglas don't be catty
Well they did have concrete ships why not marble ????

Ron
I think the Bo'sun, John Pattison, would not take too kindly to your paint work Ron? (Ouch)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
Ron B Manderson said:
I hope this is to your liking

I just aim to please .
Now Douglas don't be catty
Well they did have concrete ships why not marble ????

Ron
Thank God I was canny enough to put my sunglasses on before I looked at that things. Thank you so much Ron for your endeavours, but all I really wanted was to look at a nice picture of her in her original colours.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3 Posts
Pat McCardle said:
Where/what were you on at the time David? We were laid up in Timaru for 6 weeks then under the loaders for 5 days & off back to Avonmouth, paying off on New Years Eve, you should have seen the faces of the work-by crew joining then!!. I remember the quayside, in Timaru, being packed, even a band played us off & we were outside the harbour for about half a hour giving our whistle a good blow or 2. Timaru, my favourite Kiwi port!! (Thumb) I was known then as 'The Goon' (*))
I was living in Timaru at the time, Pat. Looked up my records for the Port of Timaru and see that the SOMERSET was in port from 25 October to 30 November. You were priviledged to get a band playing as you left - what did you guys do to deserve that??? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,180 Posts
flyer682 said:
I was living in Timaru at the time, Pat. Looked up my records for the Port of Timaru and see that the SOMERSET was in port from 25 October to 30 November. You were priviledged to get a band playing as you left - what did you guys do to deserve that??? :rolleyes:
We also headlined the Timaru Herald? We were up painting the funnel one day & the next there we were, front page 'Should the crew of the Somerset be able to vote......They have been here long enough!!' As for the band, well God only knows where they came from, Sally Anne? After our performance shore side in Timaru everyone must still miss us!! Happy days, that, unfortunately, will never return. You must owe me a beer or 2 mate? (Thumb)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,180 Posts
Cheers David. That went down well. I will return to Timaru in the not too distant future. I have friends who moved on to Temuka plus a lot of other guys I'll have to check up on as they left Somerset & decamped to NZ?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top