Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Was there a mad Irish sparkie on the Somerset around that time, who smuggled a women from Kiwi to the UK in his cabin?? I heard stories of this, might have been the Pi Cart, but think it was Somerset - anyone any info??

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was on Somerset when a sparkie smuggled a girl on board, Well to be accurate she was a professional lady if u get my drift. Rose from liverpool If remember correctly. She sailed around to Southampton with us. She went from cabin to cabin making new friends. I came off watch at midnight and took a shower. I could hear some one in the cubicle next to mine, I looked in and there she was starkers. It was love at first fright, She was gorgeous. Helo luv she said, hot in here init. I'll give you a knock later.
Well I thought, You wait until the vicar hears about this. 6 houres later I,m back on watch. After waiting all night she never knocked on my door. The second engineer did and told me to turn to. I was in floods of tears, I thought i was going to make a new friend. I never saw her again. I was heart broken.
Well two days later I had a bit of an accident, I smacked my self in the face with a valve key. and had to visit the MN clinic at the dockyard entance. The doctor on duty asked What ship. Somerset I say, are you an Engineer.
Yes i am. Gawd not another one he says and came towards me with a big needle, Hay hold on i said I'v come to see if my cheek bone is broken, Did you get involved with a girl called Rose he asked, No I said they made me work, Then count yourself lucky half your lot is on antibiotics.
That evening at dinner the third eng. asked how i got on with the Doctor. I did OK I said he seemeed to think I had an infection or something, told me quite a few blokes on the ship have. We ate our dinner in complete silence that evening although i noticed most people were lets say fidgety.
Dox. I don't know if this is the incedent you refer to. I do remember the second eng. telling the sparkie off about it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Scooby,

What was the name of the Sparkie?? The story I heard was smuggled from Kiwi to the UK - but you never know with the galley telegraph!

·
Registered
P&O GCD STRATH SERVICES,STRATHAIRLIE,STRATHMUIR,STRAHAVOCH,SOMERSET,TAUPO.STRATHEDEN,VOSGES,ETTRICK.
5 Posts
Was Sandy Stalker the last British Master on Her?
HI PAT.we spoke a while back.i was 4-8 5th eng frm sep 78-dec 78,then back again for all the trips up to handover in avonmouth.Sandy stalker did not do the final trips.But he gave me a xmas cake to take up north for him.great man.Timaru in 78 was the biz.I ended up taking Miss JUDY D up to the bus station after hamish got shot of her.She was at auckland next time round.Timaru royal made a mint out of us.worth it ! ta mate

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
HI PAT.we spoke a while back.i was 4-8 5th eng frm sep 78-dec 78,then back again for all the trips up to handover in avonmouth.Sandy stalker did not do the final trips.But he gave me a xmas cake to take up north for him.great man.Timaru in 78 was the biz.I ended up taking Miss JUDY D up to the bus station after hamish got shot of her.She was at auckland next time round.Timaru royal made a mint out of us.worth it ! ta mate
HaHa! Good trip in Auckland and then down to Timaru back then. I think all of Timaru's bars made a few bob out of us that trip, we were there that long.....and never remembered being skint? Sandy allowing leave pay to be subbed as i worked every hour homeward and paid off with a few quid, of which it was debts being repaid to me. Happy daze indeed. All the best and stay safe.

·
Registered
P&O GCD STRATH SERVICES,STRATHAIRLIE,STRATHMUIR,STRAHAVOCH,SOMERSET,TAUPO.STRATHEDEN,VOSGES,ETTRICK.
5 Posts
SOMERSET, built by John Brown & Co Clydebank and launched July 30th 1962. 7600grt. She had 5 holds of 449086 cu ft of reefer space and a service speed of 16.1/2knts. Engaged on the UK to Aus/NZ trade she made her final voyage from Auckland on Aug 8th 1979 for Avonmouth (where she is seen here entering the locks). She was sold to Damirika Shipping Corp of Monrovia and re-named AEGEAN SKY. She left Jeddah on 14th Sept 84 bound for the breakers at Chittagong.

Thanks to FLYER for all additional info.
photo courtesy of P.W.Hobday.
Entering avonmouth docks in nov 79 for sale to greeks.i was on her from feb up and down to nz and medi ports,good ship

21 - 30 of 30 Posts