Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
English farmers banned from shooting certain birds on their land,plus land owners,spose they will still be carrion on killing them.(Fly)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Must admit,great response.(Fly)

Sorry about that. I seldom resist an opportunity to be fetious.

Does the ban add to the list of protected species? I assume some must be protected, but as far as you inform us I find it hard to tell if it's another bit of daft ruling or a continuation of something fairly normal.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about that. I seldom resist an opportunity to be fetious.

Does the ban add to the list of protected species? I assume some must be protected, but as far as you inform us I find it hard to tell if it's another bit of daft ruling or a continuation of something fairly normal.
16 species

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Our game Bird shooting season starts May 5th , Ducks, Pukekos (swamp hen) , and Pheasants . Both sexes can be shot whereas in my day it was male pheasants only. So much for equality .

Bob

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
All wild birds are protected, there was a licence to shoot birds such as crows and others that cause damage, this was shown to be too loose a definition and the licence was revoked, a new system of obtaining licences was instituted within days. This is a very scanty description of the situation, but no great silliness.

·
Premium Member
3,856 Posts
In the late 1970s, in the US state of Washington, it was decided to do a survey of the crow population's wanderings. Crows were captured and metal bands placed on one leg each for the Washington Biological Survey, but not able to fit all that on the band, abbreviated it to say "Wash. Biol. Surv.". They received a letter from a farmer in Yakima, stating:
"Sirs. Shot one of your birds the other day. My wife followed the instructions on the leg, let me tell you, it tasted horrible".

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
(EEK)I read recently that it is perfectly legal in New Zealand, to shoot song thrushes!
Why on earth would anyone want to kill a song thrush?
Apparently the Kiwis do, because, they say, they are an "introduced species".(EEK)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do not know about crows but here just to the west of Edinburgh our garden is plagued with Jackdaws and Magpies. They seem to gather on roofs of houses with anything up to 10 at a time. They raid the food put out for the smaller birds and chase them from their nesting boxes. IRW

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
(EEK)I read recently that it is perfectly legal in New Zealand, to shoot song thrushes!
Apparently the Kiwis do, because, they say, they are an "introduced species".(EEK)
That is hard to believe Pat, I must check it out, the song thrush is one of our most indeared birds that eats the slugs and snails and ignores our fruit and vegetables. The Blackbird is the worst predator in my home garden , no wonder they ended up in a pi.
The weather for tomorrow's duck season opening is to dawn with bright and clear skies when the birds fly high and often out of shotgun range.

Bob

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
That is hard to believe Pat, I must check it out, the song thrush is one of our most indeared birds that eats the slugs and snails and ignores our fruit and vegetables. The Blackbird is the worst predator in my home garden , no wonder they ended up in a pie.
The weather for tomorrow's duck season opening is to dawn with bright and clear skies when the birds fly high and often out of shotgun range.

Bob

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
I stand corrected Pat, the Song Thrush is not a protected species under the wild life act but I doubt that anyone would have cause to shoot them.

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Shoot them perhaps not but there are other forms of burder. In the 50s my prep school employed Spanish maids (these were for domestic duties and not to educate young gentlemen in arts for which they were then too young to either enjoy or understand). One classroom had sash windows at one end and down one side. By judicious opening and closing of these passing songbirds were caught for the pot and eaten. I doubt if they were too particular about the make and model.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
As a boy , I used to accompany a family friend when he went out during the shooting season with his shotgun and English Setter .
Walking down a gravelled country road we came across a flock of Californian Quail basking in the dust filled pot holes . They rose, he fired both barrels , the dog went out of her mind with excitement and couldn't decide which one to retrieve first .
My joy came when the shooter offered me 8 birds to take home to my mother .
Now Mum had started her working like as a trainee kitchen maid in the house of the Headmaster of The Old Malthouse School for young boys in the Village of Langton McTravers near Swannage and where she had learnt the art of game bird preparation and cooking and had often told us of her efforts.
She showed no signs of dissapointment when I tipped out the bag of birds on the kitchen bench and proceeded with the plucking . Although larger than European quail these little creatures became so tiny sans feathers and looked so lonely even when puffed up with stuffing and placed side by side in a oven baking dish that I had pangs of regret about so much carnage for so little . This feeling heightened with the eventual eating . Such tiny morsels of flesh , so many bones , for me it put a different slant on game bird killing and my sympathy now goes out to anyone who had to bake four and twenty blackbirds in a pie to get a meal.

Bob

Bob

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Do not know about crows but here just to the west of Edinburgh our garden is plagued with Jackdaws and Magpies. They seem to gather on roofs of houses with anything up to 10 at a time. They raid the food put out for the smaller birds and chase them from their nesting boxes. IRW
The other morning, a blackbird was on my roof, singing. A magpie landed, or more accurately, crashed onto my roof also, and began to make its ugly noise. I was pleased to see that the blackbird wasn't at all bothered by this intrusion, and proceeded to chase the magpie away. The magpie must have gone into a big sulk, as it could no longer be heard, and the blackbird continued to welcome the rising sun.

A small victory perhaps, but one up to the local blackbirds, I think!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
To deal with a small bird such as a pigeon, part the skin over the breast bone (this can be done just by rubbing) peel back the skin and cut off the breasts. Two good gobbets of meat, give the rest to the ...cat?

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
A small victory perhaps, but one up to the local blackbirds, I think![/QUOTE]

It's a jungle out there, bird against bird. Throw out a hard crust too heavy to fly with and the sparrows will contentedly share and peck away until all is gone but not if the blackbirds swoop in , no more sharing at the table , the soarriwes get the bum's rush .
But only until the Indian Minors fly in and take absolute control

Bob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts