Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was on the sheaf crest with Brian Grey, He was an engineer, and I was an electrical officer.

Also sailed on a couple of stolt ship, 1972 to around 1975

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I am new to this i stumbled across this forum wile doing some research for my great grandad marmaduke bentley. I know he usto attend the annual reunion and thats about all i know. It would be lovley if anyone has a story about him.

Tom

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Hi Tom.

I sailed briefly as 3rd Mate with "Duke" Bentley , to April 1979- he was Master of the "American Islander". He had come out , if I recall correctly, to Hong Kong to take over this rust-heap from the Acting Captain/1st Mate, who took temporary command in Japan after the illness of the previous Master, Ralphy Charlton

If you search the gallery and my posts, you'll find more ( and a few pics) about this container- feeder ship managed by Souters for United States Lines (now defunct).The ship was engaged in a feeder service with containers from Hong Kong to Manila and back- loads of lovely ripe mangoes as deck cargo!--all my fellow British officers stayed on after Manila,where I left the ship, but the Chinese crew were changed to philippino.

"Duke" was a bit of a legend in Souters, but this was my only time with him during my 13 years there, and I did not really get to know him much, so cannot really tell you much else I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply

I have just had a conversation with my grandad he remembers the trip you mentioned.

He would love to come on and find some old shipmates but he is 87 now and struggles with technology.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Everyone

A lot of names familiar to me on this thread.
I sailed with Brian Grey as a cadet on the Petrogas 1, along with Alan Clish, Richard Pursar, Stan Wiems, Eddie Davidson, Gary Rodaway, Brain Kinson ,Phil Curren was the Deck Cadet, great Lad. I can see the faces of the others but struggle with names off the top of my head. The trip on there was based in Kosichang Thailand, hard work but Party City, I wondered why everyone didn't want to go to sea! When I paid off I owed Souters money!but then I joined the Equinox in Redcar for my next trip and did 6 months and understood why!
I was last man standing from the old Souter lot with OSG, paid off the Overseas Everest March 2014 at Long Beach then being made redundant," farmer boy" Roy Elliot was Old Man but he paid off the week before me, we were being run from Athens then as the Newcastle office had closed.
I had some great times with Souters, and sailed with a load of great guys, or "Board of Trade Acquaintances" as Kid Currie used to say!

RMB

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Sad to hear Souter's have gone.
A few familiar names in your post Richard Purser was one I couldn't remember.
I think I do remember a third mate I used to relieve but never sailed with. Or Maybe a 4th I did sail with. He was known as Ballbags Butler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah Mam used to pack my Dads pants!!!! good old 'y' fronts.
I seem to remember a Canadian 3rd mate, where you on the Esplanade 86-87, or maybe the Ulla, or Trudy?
I see you are living in Vancouver, did you ever sail with Stu Crawford? he lives in Vancouver now, he's a manager at some ship repair yard I believe.
The Old Man you were thinking of must be 'clever' Trevor Robinson, and the 2nd mates Tom Lawrie, I heard he had moved to Monaco.

Ross

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yes Canadian 3rd mate actually from Glasgow but had a girl in Vancouver and married her.

Trudy and Esplanade. Trudy several times. Cleaver Trevor yeah I remember Him and Tom Laurie. I sailed with Tom a couple of times.

Stu Crawford? The names familiar. He might have been a Eng Cadet I sailed with. Matt Helm and I gave him a hot cross bun one night. We might have been drinking. If he is Vancouver at a ship yard I should be able to find out.
Did your wife used to sail with you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noticed a lot of names blast from the past

Hi Everybody

Brought back great memories looking at the names in this forum, Souters was my first deepsea company started in 1996 till 1999 sailing on the following vessels.

Enterprise April 96 to June 96

Capt Ray Taylor,
Chief Engineer John Scott,
1st Mate Tom Meharry
1st Engineer Adam Brown
2nd Mate John Trousers
3rd Mate Kevin Taylor

Endeavor July 96 to Dec 96

Capt Rolly Cordon
Capt Richard Pursar
1st Mate Lenny Andrews
2nd Jimmy Gregg
3rd Mate Kevin Taylor

Exemplar Feb 97 to July 97

Capt Jerry Barrett
1st Mate Minty Tom

Leopardi July 98 to Aug 98
All Spanish had a great time first time round the Horn !

Matilde Sept 98 to Dec 98
Capt Bennet

Regal Unity March 99 to May 99

Chief Engineer Colin Thompson
1st Engineer Mel Greddell

I owe a lot to the friendship of Souters and step up they give me completing class 2/1 at South Tyneside and Masters Class 1 in 1999.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
a shot in the dark late 70's based in the Newcastle office, maybe one of souters eng supers?? any takers? I am looking for a name, please. A Newcastle lad, spent some time at Kings College doing a study on adding water injection-into diesel and boiler combustion of various fuels.
I was an understudy of this gent in 1974-76, and trying to recall old names from my past, this gent escapes me. Like all old codgers, I am gradually going dolally.
I have no specific reasons just curiousitty killed the cat??? Excuse spelling please???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same Here, Stu is still in Vancouver, I'm still at sea!!!!!!! will find out off my Missus where he is based, could take some time as she doesnt give a toss about any requests from me!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
A SLICE OF LIFE AT SEA by George W. Robinson, and available on Amazon, describes his time with Souters and his horrific experience after the Carlton was torpedoed in December 1940.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Hi again.
Anyone know which yard Stu works with.
Just though I would ask. And bump this back up again JIK any old Souters hand pass through.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

going to bump this back up to the top ..... as I came across this looking for old ships I can remember

anyway my father sailed with Souters from IIRC 1973 till about 1989

so anyone remember Captain Jim Burt ?

I can remember many of the ships mentioned here and many names are very familiar to me too

ATB

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was on the " Scottish Wasa " Ex Iron Crown , when we were in a collision with the German freezer boat "Rheinelander" in September 1976 . This was on the River Scheldt I think we had a football match against them a few days before . They had oranges at half time .... we had Tennants served by the 2nd Engineers wife (Colin Wright?) and the 2nd Mates wife (Dave and Elizabeth?) Then spent about a month in Antwerp drydock . Will try to upload photos of damage , but my scanner is not too good .

61 - 80 of 82 Posts