Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve noticed that there are members from a good selection of the seafaring nations but so far I`ve not seen any from the likes of Cape Town or that area where there must be a host of information & pics. No doubt I`ll be told otherwise if I`m wrong!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Hi David, we do have some South Africans on the site in fact there was one from Cape Town signed on just a few days ago.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi David, I was born and brought up in South Africa (Cape Town) and served my engineering apprenticeship in at Table Bay power station. Joined my first ship (SS Argyllshire in Cape Town in 1965, as a junior engineer, outward bound for Australia. She was a refridgerated ship and carried 12 passengers. I now live in Oz
Cheers,
Neil

·
Registered
17 Posts
David I am trying to find a Derek Wilcockson who served in the Royal Navy in the 60s he was in Scotland in62/63,just wondered if you were related?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi David, i'm a pom in Jo'burg, my daughter has to my regret moved up here from DURBAN when we used to visit i used to be up and out by 6am off to the point and spend all day there while the girls went to the malls its a shame i did not know about SN.How when i signed on my profile shows me BRITISH Regards John King.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seadogs from Cape Town

I`ve noticed that there are members from a good selection of the seafaring nations but so far I`ve not seen any from the likes of Cape Town or that area where there must be a host of information & pics. No doubt I`ll be told otherwise if I`m wrong!
Hello David, my commercial diving career started in 1989 in Cape Town Docks in the Lay-up Basin. The location of Depth Recovery Unit commercial diving school. After I qualified, I started working for the state department, S.F.R.I. Sea Fisheries Research Unit in Cape Town foreshore as a research diver, this job took me all over, I sailed and served on the R.S. Africana, S.A Agulhas, R.S. Algoa,R.S. Sardinops as well as the old "Vomit Comet" Trachurus just to mention a few! So yes definately seafarers from good old Cape Town, cheers(Pint)

·
Registered
526 Posts
south african ship mates

hello to all - interesting to see a few of my fellow countryman are part of this group - though my posting is somewhat ahead in time then those shown - please feel free to contact me via pm - as i have a wealth of books - magazines - models and bits and pieces - notwithstanding a large collection of images - both hard copy and digital - i never went to sea as a sailor - i have been on a few cruises and have been fortunate to have traveled extensively - the highlight being my stay on the queen mary for 5 days - in 1994 - regards

Attachments

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
I have both of those in my collection, sea dog.

I photographed everything including the old carley float.

The bibliography section was very interesting. ...... I had a conversation with the curator which I enjoyed.

He had never been to sea.....but always wanted to.

Thank you for posting

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Sea Dog - Are you Sparkie's curator? Just curious.... BTW, I always enjoy your posts.
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
526 Posts
union castle models in union castle house

I have both of those in my collection, sea dog.

I photographed everything including the old carley float.

The bibliography section was very interesting. ...... I had a conversation with the curator which I enjoyed.

He had never been to sea.....but always wanted to.

Thank you for posting
thanks for the update

i have almost all the union castle books published on union castle plus hard copy and digital images and by default safmarine images - including there cargo ships - i also run a union castle group on a different forum - and again by default the old sar & h tugs - for interest sake - do you know anything about this model of a cutaway of the windsor castle model - where it was or is and who made it - the bows on model is of the balmoral castle that stood in the front of the old jhb library - she brought the first consignment of books to the said library - the building is of the union castle line in johannesburg - now a heritage listed building regards

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just clicked on the Union Castle building, and it says Johannesburg, seems a bit strange, would of thought it would have been at least in Cape Town. I worked for SAR&H for 2 years (70-72) in Cape Town, mainly on the good old T S McEwen , (Smokey Sue)as well as the Danie Hugo, and the Watermeyer. Also did a supernumerary trip on the SA Orange from Cape Town to Southampton. All other sea time was with Clan Line

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
A very interesting post Sea Dog.

The cutaway model speaks of St Marys Axe..... or possibly the shipbuilder.

I shall endeavour to find out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
union castle building

Just clicked on the Union Castle building, and it says Johannesburg, seems a bit strange, would of thought it would have been at least in Cape Town. I worked for SAR&H for 2 years (70-72) in Cape Town, mainly on the good old T S McEwen , (Smokey Sue)as well as the Danie Hugo, and the Watermeyer. Also did a supernumerary trip on the SA Orange from Cape Town to Southampton. All other sea time was with

hope the images of the tugs bring back a memory or two - yes union castle did have offices in jhb - port elizabeth - durban and capetown

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
webb info

thank you for that - at last i finally have the info which i have been searching for a long time - i owned the attached model for a very brief period in the early 90's - but was dismayed when i got back from my trip from the usa - i was gone for 2 years - that the model was lost by the very person - i thought i could trust to look after it for me - it landed in a land fill on his property and he built a warehouse over the land fill !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts