Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MV St John. Single berth cabins for all crew, Chinese cooks (Great Meals!) Owned by Howard de Warden. Pool to BA via Recife. 55/56 Any crew around?
We had a great Bridge School on board.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Brian J Brooks said:
MV St John. Single berth cabins for all crew, Chinese cooks (Great Meals!) Owned by Howard de Warden. Pool to BA via Recife. 55/56 Any crew around?
We had a great Bridge School on board.
Good looking vessels. Well ahead of their time for crew accommodation I believe? Some Sunderland built too(Thumb)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in Saint Clears as deck boy 1951 three in a room no porthole no hot water aft kit service wash up in a bucket we had a skylight that leaked in bad weather,the food was not so bad chinese cooks ,couldnt wait to get out of her,it was sold to a german firm renamed Consul Nimitz. then Panama owners renamed Norelg wrecked in typhoon Wanda1962 then broken up Hong Kong

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Does anyone know of Les Atkinson 4th Engineer on St Thomas 1961, he made a model of the ship which I bought and would like to more about it,Rick.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
St Thomas 6855 tons built 1948 by John Thompson & Sons Sunderland.
455.3 x 59.6 x 26.2. 5 cylinder diesel by Doxford. Code flags GFNG. DF, ESD,GyC, Radar.British flag. Registered Newport mons. Could carry vegetable oil in midship deep tanks and in tanks at side of tunnel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pat McCardle said:
Good looking vessels. Well ahead of their time for crew accommodation I believe? Some Sunderland built too(Thumb)
Yes, they certainly were good looking vessels,tried for ages to find photos of them, was only able to find one - thumbnail attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
macjack said:
Yes, they certainly were good looking vessels,tried for ages to find photos of them, was only able to find one - thumbnail attached.
i did the last voyage of the st line, in the st essylt i joined her in tilbury march 65 paid off south shields jul 65 as was said single berth cabins , we spent the whole of easter in santos say no more it,s a tough life but someone had to do it [thank god it was us ] all the best mates .

·
Registered
87 Posts
i sailed on st john in the early 60's as others have said way ahead of there time.
push button derricks unheard of never saw them anywhere else.i joined in Grangemouth
went to rotterdam to discharge grain.back to millwall for drydock and fumigation(rats like alsatian dogs) then loaded at dagenham for great lakes, ford classics,e,type jags and austin metropolitans.blast from the past,great ship,bad crowd!!After discharge we went to superior and loaded grain,shifting boards were a real work up,then down to Beau Comue (wrong Spelling )
and loaded aluminium deck cargo for swansea.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Jim Brooks,

I'd like to revive your thread about South American Saint Line. My dad R263704, who died in '70, was on both the St. Essylt (ex Tolten, I think) and the St. Merriel. The St. Essylt went down in the med in '43 and he had to swim for it. Although he never spoke about this, the story in the family is that the OC of the troops that were being carried from the Clyde to Sicily gave the order to abandon ship before she had completely stopped and when the crew's turn came to abandon there were no rafts or boats left in the vicinity. I'd like to hear from anyone who has any info about this sinking.

He was also involved in fighting an engineroom fire on the St. Merriel off Corsewall point in '45. I have a newspaper cutting of him meeting Lord Howard de Walden. Thanks to your post I now realise why this was........R

·
Banned
21 Posts
South American Saint Line

I remember bringing grain back from the Argentine, when we got home to Liverpool and opened the hatches there were rats everywhere.

The thing was they were all bald, no fur, burrowing through the grain had rubbed the fur off. (EEK) Terrible looking things, everybody did a runner when they saw them.

We spent a few happy days being fumigated on the west wall in gladstone dock.

Chris.

·
Registered
848 Posts
daveyjones said:
On the St Thomas 17. 4. 61 to 24. 7. 61. Hi Durango, greetings from your old mate....Dave
hello there davey me old pal hope your well mate ,looking forward to the launch of your book not long now be lucky mate durango

·
Registered
129 Posts
Was on St Essylt form 01/11/1956 to 23/04/1957. Joined her at Rotherhithe. Great ship, 19 good ports on the round trip, had such a good time I had to do another trip as I arrived back to Surrey Dock with about £15. Virtualy same ports again but was more carefull. Paid off in Barry. Anyone else on board with me, drop me a line.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hate to be a killjoy,I was on the "Pardo" Royal Mail Lines in Santos or Paranagua 1961,when 2 guys off a South American Saint ship [can't remember name] came aboard begging food.Told us they were on Board of Trade"whack"!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
South American Saint cadet Hansen

Trying to trace ex-Warsash cadets. Did anyone come across a 1959 Warsash cadet called Hansen who I think joined South American Saint in January 1960? Can't recall his first name.

·
Registered
21 Posts
correct me iff i am wrong, but i sailed on south american saint line ship called the st margaret, in 1970, we sailed from hartlepool to some port up the orinoco, then back to the uk, and she definetely wasnt a good feeder. johnny2dogs

1 - 20 of 47 Posts