Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Southampton Docks

It was'nt that pilot Rick O'Shey was it, or was that what the ship did ? (LOL)

Cant really drop the hook in a situation like that, it dosnt hold very well on a deck or a quay for that matter. OOps.

Chris.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Chris our minds think alike.
It didnt happen in our day (well, it did but we didnt have fail-safe systems then), it shouldnt happen in this technilogically advanced age, computer problem or human error ?

·
Banned
21 Posts
Southampton Docks

Mike,

You are so right, probably a blown 5 amp fuse somewhere, or a chip ( not the potato kind ) failed. Something which weighs less than an ounce can send 90,000 tons into catastrophy.

I remember when our ship got its first ever auto steering gear. Worked off the magnetic compass, ( seem to think it was made by Sperry.) Used to have a mind of its own and suddenly go hard a port at the most unopportune times, gave me a number of heart stopping moments.

I remember one off Durban, when it went hard a port across the course of an approaching SAF Marine ship. Sweating and shaking like mad, I managed to switch everything off and go into manual steering, however the wake looked like I was travelling through a chicane, port then starboard then port again as I tried to steady her up.

The SAF Marine ship signalled me " I give up, you win, can I pass you now, or is it war "

My signal of " Sorry faulty steering, OK now " was answered by " Well you will buy British "

I did'nt know whether to laugh or cry. ' ba.t.rds '

Chris.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
At the end of the 1960s unmanned engine rooms were just arriving on the scene. Manchester Liners had one of these new systems. It was programmed to stop the engines if anything failed. In due course this happened in a gale off a lea shore. The ship was able to restart engines in time but the owners felt that this concept was not a good idea.
They then ordered four early all container ships from Smiths Dock with the engine control system changed so that in event of failure it went into service speed ahead. The first time this happened was as one of the ships was entering Manchester Ship Canal locks outward bound. She went through all the lock gates at speed, drained the canal and flooded Stanlow Refinery.
Someone must remember the details.

Fred

·
Banned
25 Posts
On the first of this month the British Columbia ferry Queen of Oak Bay lost propulsion approaching the Horseshoe Bay Terminal on her regular run across the Strait of Georgia from Nanaimo. The captain steered her towards a marina and the ferry smashed 24 pleasure boats to pieces and then grounded herself: the passengers were left high and dry for about nine hours.
'twasn't a chip or an expensive piece of electronic gear that caused the kerfuffle, but a missing 3cm cotter pin. Without the pin in place a nut came off a control arm, allowing the propulsion system to overspeed. That, in turn, kicked in a tripping device, releasing the clutches and disengaging the engines from the propellers both fore and aft. Without power, but with steerage way, the 139m ferry majestically barged her way through the marina's small cruisers.
News releases valued the cotter pin at about ten cents (Canadian).

A picture of the incident:
http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=bc_ferry-trials20050706

·
Registered
532 Posts
I never did understand why they didn't drop the anchor(s) then. I happen to be friends with one of her Captains (ex) and he wonders the same. I guess we'll have to await the enquiry findings.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Statement from Southampton deputy harbour master" when a ship loses its engines, its quite a problem" In this case 90000 tons worth and no gangway left to load cars on/off car transporters.

·
Banned
21 Posts
DaveM said:
So you reckon we should've wedged Hank and his stratocaster between the Courage and the dock gates then eh?

Would have been worth a try in my book! Could have put Cliff in for good measure too!

Dave (*))

No NO NO, Cliff might have sung to the crowd and caused more damage (LOL)

Chris.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Carnival line statement. QE2 going on to 2010. plans shelved for 200000 ton ship owing to a weak dollar. Maybe the $ will be stronger by the time the order is placed.??

·
Banned
21 Posts
Southampton Docks

Thanks Dave, very interesting pictures.

I seem to remember in the dim past, that the cause was blamed on the Variable pitch prop that the Courage had. I could be wrong but i seem to remember hearing that it was either a malfunction of the prop or an error in operation.

Those variable pitch props caused some scares and headaches when they first came out.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Thanks Dave, I was involved after the event in the insurance argument. I had plenty of reports but no photographs. In the end Smiths insurers successfully argued that the shipyard had no liability as the ship behaved exactly as the owners had specified. In the event of a system malfunction select service speed ahead.

Fred

1 - 20 of 33 Posts