Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
A Mate who I sailed with had previously sailed on the Southern Cross and he told me that, during a call at Tahiti, a group of crew members were chased back on board the ship by a gang of locals - one of the crew had thrown a baby into a cement mixer. Nice!

John T

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
A Mate who I sailed with had previously sailed on the Southern Cross and he told me that, during a call at Tahiti, a group of crew members were chased back on board the ship by a gang of locals - one of the crew had thrown a baby into a cement mixer. Nice!

John T
I expect the cement mixer was moonlighting...they were not particularly well paid on the islands.
I think passenger crew/local battles were the norm in those parts; I remember a skirmish, when we stopped over on the Akaroa one time, with some gung-ho passengers joining in, (on the crews side that is). Quinns was a venue noted for vigorous debate.
barry mac

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I hope you still post. I am looking for anyone who was on that ship at that time until it returned to southampton in march 1971, as I am researching my family tree and a bit of a puzzle has appeared in it. I would very much like anyone who was on her to contact me if possible at [email protected]. I would be very grateful as I have hit a concrete wall and cannot find out any more.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi ~ I was not on board Southern Cross arriving Southampton March 1971 - but maybe able to assist ~ are you looking for a passenger or crew member?
Cheers Jamie, Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Joined her as Bathroom steward around 65 as a 17 year old. Drunk in every port where they paid us which was little around Australasia as so many were jumping boat. Our Chief steward was a drunken Scotsman that terrorised us all with a meat cleaver he kept in his suitcase. Life was so different then--harder but I loved it. Jumped boat after getting legless in Las Palmas on a German freighter and returned to the Port of London DBS on the Rosylin Castle Orange Boat.. I am an avid Kayak fisherman now and when I anchor off Southend with my rods I think back to those days. Oh to be that fit again..or that green

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sailed from Cape Town to Southampton in early 1969 and I am trying to find information about that trip - even what dates and times it sailed. Can anyone help with that? (I think departed Cape Town about 20 April and arrived about 5 May 1969.)

My memory of the trip is very positive; my Mother's isn't! There was a big crossing the equator party. I would love to see photos of that party if any exist. I particularly remember someone dressed as a tube of toothpaste (Colgate I think).

My sister and I caused the electric fuse for our deck to go by swinging the lamp between the bunks.

What was it like on board?

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a youngster in 1955 I travelled on the maiden voyage of the Southern Cross from Southampton to Wellington. I am keen to find out what do***ents exist from that period. Are any logs in existence?

I remember that when we arrived in NZ we travelled down the east coast to Wellington. The land was deserted. I suspect that we had made landfall at Castlepoint light which was classed as a landfall light. I would like to see a log to confirm this.

I have an interest in celestial navigation and would like to discover what technigues were used on the Southern Cross. For example long by chron and noon sights or intercepts? How were the sights worked - e.g. using one of the many tables available or maybe the hard way with Norie/Burton and haversines? In the age of gps this is now a lost art.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
As a youngster in 1955 I travelled on the maiden voyage of the Southern Cross from Southampton to Wellington. I am keen to find out what do***ents exist from that period. Are any logs in existence?

I remember that when we arrived in NZ we travelled down the east coast to Wellington. The land was deserted. I suspect that we had made landfall at Castlepoint light which was classed as a landfall light. I would like to see a log to confirm this.

I have an interest in celestial navigation and would like to discover what technigues were used on the Southern Cross. For example long by chron and noon sights or intercepts? How were the sights worked - e.g. using one of the many tables available or maybe the hard way with Norie/Burton and haversines? In the age of gps this is now a lost art.

Maybe a lost art but as long as you still remember how to calculate your P/L , not so lost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We returned from Wellington in 1963 arriving at Southampton on Novemeber25th 1963.A lovely ship the Southern Cross. My father flew back to New Zealand in 1964 and returned about 1 year later on the Northern Star.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A photo of her as 'Calypso' taken in Rotterdam in late October 1976.

I was cadet on 'Megantic' at the time; we were loading in Rotterdam for NZ.

I sailed with two of the engineers mentioned in post #44; Donald Mcdonald was relief C/E on 'Megantic' prior to the ship sailing on the trip I was on her, and I later met him around 2010 at an exhibition in Southend.

I think John Mcfarland was C/E on 'CYS Mariner' when I was 3/0 in 1981.

Martyn

61 - 70 of 70 Posts