Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone could help me with a particular vessel? I have several photographs of the schooner Sparling on my website, at various beaches, discharging lime and coal, so I presume she was a regular visitor to the Llyn Peninsula, north Wales. November last year a man sent me a photo of her wrecked on a beach near Liverpool (Blundellsands), I think about 1911. He told me that the photo was hanging on a wall in his local sailing club. Just before Christmas last, my computer crashed, and I have lost all my old e-mails, so the little but valuable information about her that I had has gone. I wonder if you would be able to help me? As I’m trying to write a little story about her. Many thanks, regards Tony.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

schooner sparling
built frodsham bridge cheshire 1815
L.62ft beam 15ft depth. 7ft
standing bowsprit
carvel built
sorry thats all , dom

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hi Tony,

Not much more I can add. The info below from the Roots web Forum.

Sparling

Built originally as a sloop , with a single deck , 85 tons
First owners : Ellison & Co., Liverpool.

She doesn't appear in Lloyds Register after 1840

The following website has this on her though

SPARLING 1815-1881 Eames, Aled; Ventures in Sail B

http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/ships%20alpha/S.html

I presume it is a book that gives her a mention.

Rgds

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many Thanks

Many thanks to you both, at least now I have something to go on. I know someone that has the book, Ventures in Sail, so hopefuly I can put something together, Regards Tony (Thumb)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sparling latest news

Things are coming along well on the Sparling front!!!

From the book “Ventures in Sail” by Aled Eames;
Appendix B;
Sailing vessels managed by Gwynedd owners in Mercantile Navy list, 1881.

Official No; 8688.
Name and port of Registry; Sparling, Chester.
Rig; Schooner.
When and Where Built; 1815, Frodsham.
Registered Tonnage; 52.
Managing Owner Address; David Pugh, Menai Street, Port Dinorwic, Caernarvonshire.
This vessel was 62ft from stem to stern, with a beam of 15ft and
a depth of 7ft. She had a standing bow-sprit, a round stern, was
carvel built with no galleries or head.

Sparling wrecked 22/2/1910 - River Mersey, Crosby Sand. The River Alt enters the sea between Crosby and Formby to the north of Liverpool.
A 52-ton (net) wooden schooner carrying coal from Garston to Beaumaris.
Foundered about 1200 metres north of the North Outer Mile Mark. Both crewmen were picked up from their own boat by the S.S. Allison and landed at Alfred Dock that evening. The wreck was sold to J. Hughes of Crosby for £5 on 5/3/1910, and was broken up by him and removed. (She was 95 years old, that's some age!!!)

Many thanks for all your help, Regards Tony (Thumb)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hi Tony,

An excellent piece on Sparling. It goes with an excellent website that I never tire searching through. Well done!

Thanks for the mention, although I didn't do anything to deserve it. If anybody deserves a mention it is you for the effort put in on such a wonderful site. It is a great reference for all of us with an interest in the sea and one of the best I've seen.

Rgds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts