Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1971 whilst in Singapore in RN met some guys and went onboard the SS AMERCLOUD an American cargo ship that was in KG5 dock in Sembawang after hitting a mine off Viet nam ,,,,can never find anything about her

·
Premium Member
10,337 Posts
She appears first on the list when I Google her (mined alongside Delong pier Qui Nhon 12 March 1970). courtesy of:

Fourth Arm of Defense: Sealift and Maritime Logistics in the Vietnam War
By Salvatore R. Mercogliano

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Also see page 8 of pdf of US Army report:

(1) At 0455 hours 12 March 1970 the general cargo ship Amercloudwas damaged by an explosion of undetermined origin near #2 hold onthe port side while berthed at North 2, DeLong Pier, Qui Nhon Port(CR 110238). No personnel vere injured. The explosion was external,believed to be a directional shape charge which entered the vessel120 feet aft of the bow on the port side at an 80 degree angle. The charge blew an 18 by 6 foot hole in hold A, and continued on, resul-ting in a 9 by 10 inch hole in the starboard side of the hold. 7hecharge entered directly below the waterline, rupturing one fuel tank.No cargo damage was sustained as the hold was empty at the time ofthe explosion. Three of the four compartments in hold #2 flooded,resulting in a 10 degree list of the ship. The Amercloud was movedto an inner harbor anchorage, discharged of all cargo and sailed under its own power on 14 March for shipyard repair

I believe that there may be a picture of either her or a sister ship in the SN Gallery, but it might be hard to find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Amercloud started off life in 1946 as C2-S-B1 vessel Spitfire, built in Wilmington NC. Her IMO was 5729010 and she went through several name changes between 1969 and 1975 when she was scrapped. She became Amercloud, Intercloud and Two Rivers before ending up on the beach in Karachi. There is a picture of her on Shipspotting website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts