Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a few pics which I had removed from, an old Denholm news when I was Radio Officer on the Bangkok which I thought might be of interest for anyone who might have sailed on her when she was under Denholm management.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
BANGKOK
As built: 20,708g. 10,418n. 32,107d. 659' 8 x 84' 5 x ?
Post 1965: 33,711g. 21,557n. 63,861d. 786' 9 x 101' 8 x ?
Post 1973: 33,501g. 26,694n. 63,861d.
Two Parsons type steam turbines by Ch. & At. De St. Nazaire, (Penhoët) double reduction geared to single shaft
25.3.1955: Launched as ISOCARDIA by Ch & At de St. Nazaire (Penhoet), St. Nazaire (Yard No. Q15) for Soc. Maritime Shell, Le Havre.
27.10.1955: Completed.
1965: Lengthened by fitting a new forebody built by Chant. de l'Atlantique, Saint Nazaire .
1973: Sold to Thai Ocean Transportation Co., Ltd., Bangkok and renamed BANGKOK.
1976: Denholm Ship Management Ltd, appointed as managers.
11.12.1976: Arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition by Jui Fa Steel & Iron Co., Ltd.
26.12.1976: Work commenced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BANGKOK
As built: 20,708g. 10,418n. 32,107d. 659' 8 x 84' 5 x ?
Post 1965: 33,711g. 21,557n. 63,861d. 786' 9 x 101' 8 x ?
Post 1973: 33,501g. 26,694n. 63,861d.
Two Parsons type steam turbines by Ch. & At. De St. Nazaire, (Penhoët) double reduction geared to single shaft
25.3.1955: Launched as ISOCARDIA by Ch & At de St. Nazaire (Penhoet), St. Nazaire (Yard No. Q15) for Soc. Maritime Shell, Le Havre.
27.10.1955: Completed.
1965: Lengthened by fitting a new forebody built by Chant. de l'Atlantique, Saint Nazaire .
1973: Sold to Thai Ocean Transportation Co., Ltd., Bangkok and renamed BANGKOK.
1976: Denholm Ship Management Ltd, appointed as managers.
11.12.1976: Arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition by Jui Fa Steel & Iron Co., Ltd.
26.12.1976: Work commenced.
Always sad to see the demise of the ships I sailed on, it was my first ship in charge of the Radio Room too so always fond memories for me. I was glad my quarters weren't aft though as they had a bit of a cockroach problem as I remember :-(
The guys I sailed with were a good bunch which was as well as we did spend a lot of time at sea, wish I could get hold of a crew list as I can't remember any names but that is proving difficult to do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was 2nd Mate on the Bangkok. While I was there the Captain was Jack Chinnery and the Mate was Jack McEwen. I think before him the Mate was called Wright.
Mr Wright was the man who famously discovered the box containing a coffin left by the French in the centre castle store. When he told the Captain about it, he was instructed to open it to check it was empty. The Chinese crew refused to go near it "Very bad Joss" but watched while the C/O undid the lid and used his torch to check the contents.
He jumped back with a loud shriek and the Chinese crew took off down the deck running aft!
There was nothing in it of course but the Captain said he did not want that under his cabin so the Mate told the Bosun to move it into the focstle store.
The Bosun refused so we Officers had to make up a bearer party and do a slow march up the fore deck with the coffin on our shoulders.
Happy days.
I did a dry dock in Marseille on her. We had 2 Deck and 2 Engine trainee Thai Officers who were actually Thai Navy Officers who had been sent to learn how to operate a tanker so that they could develop their own fleet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was 2nd Mate on the Bangkok. While I was there the Captain was Jack Chinnery and the Mate was Jack McEwen. I think before him the Mate was called Wright.
Mr Wright was the man who famously discovered the box containing a coffin left by the French in the centre castle store. When he told the Captain about it, he was instructed to open it to check it was empty. The Chinese crew refused to go near it "Very bad Joss" but watched while the C/O undid the lid and used his torch to check the contents.
He jumped back with a loud shriek and the Chinese crew took off down the deck running aft!
There was nothing in it of course but the Captain said he did not want that under his cabin so the Mate told the Bosun to move it into the focstle store.
The Bosun refused so we Officers had to make up a bearer party and do a slow march up the fore deck with the coffin on our shoulders.
Happy days.
I did a dry dock in Marseille on her. We had 2 Deck and 2 Engine trainee Thai Officers who were actually Thai Navy Officers who had been sent to learn how to operate a tanker so that they could develop their own fleet.
Hi Ian,
I was Radio Officer on the Bangkok from July to November 1975, I am assuming that was after you were on as I seem to remember the coffin was in the forecastle store.
I joined the ship in Sriracha and Capt Cormack was in charge, I would love to have a crew list as I can't remember any of the guys I sailed with or in fact many of the ports although I think we spent a lot of time either at anchor or at sea.
I found a name I had written down (Bert Park) who I believe was the 3rd Engineer when I was on and I think the electrician was called Iain, those ring any bells?
Cheers,
John

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Happy days.
Would that be Peter Wright from Greenock ?.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi Ian,
I was Radio Officer on the Bangkok from July to November 1975, I am assuming that was after you were on as I seem to remember the coffin was in the forecastle store.
I joined the ship in Sriracha and Capt Cormack was in charge, I would love to have a crew list as I can't remember any of the guys I sailed with or in fact many of the ports although I think we spent a lot of time either at anchor or at sea.
I found a name I had written down (Bert Park) who I believe was the 3rd Engineer when I was on and I think the electrician was called Iain, those ring any bells?
Cheers,
John
Hi John.
Below is a link to a photo I posted on this site some years ago of the 3rd Mate - Alan Tatersal, Radio Off - Cant remember his name but he was Irish and Chief Mate Jack MacEwan.

Other than that I recall Captain Roddy MacKenzie, Bosun So Yeung, my Watchman Wan Wing (I kid you not)
Bert Parks rings a bell. Unfortunately my Discharge Book for this period was stolen later so can't remember exact dates.
I think I paid off at Muscat. Oman.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi John.
Below is a link to a photo I posted on this site some years ago of the 3rd Mate - Alan Tatersal, Radio Off - Cant remember his name but he was Irish and Chief Mate Jack MacEwan.

Other than that I recall Captain Roddy MacKenzie, Bosun So Yeung, my Watchman Wan Wing (I kid you not)
Bert Parks rings a bell. Unfortunately my Discharge Book for this period was stolen later so can't remember exact dates.
I think I paid off at Muscat. Oman.
I don't recognise any of the people in the photo or the names you mentioned, but good to see the photo, thanks.
I remember we spent three weeks anchored off Muscat waiting for orders during my time onboard. When I got relieved it was at sea off Dubai, said a quick hello to the guy relieving me as he climbed onboard and I then climbed on the boat that had come out to the ship.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That's him Ian , P.B.Wright were the local Greenock undertakers.
Evening Gents.
His name was David Wright, and his family were indeed undertakers, though he wasn't involved.
Denholm cadet, and reached Master. Last I heard of him I think he was senior surveyor for ?? one of the big P & I clubs.

Regards to all,

Roddie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts