Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting clause in sale do***ents of Canberra which states"Ownership of propellers, boilers,turbo gennys shall not pass until all has been cut up and removed from vessel so that it is not practical to rebuild ship.
It seems P & O did not want anybody else to run her.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Canberra

Dont know if you were aware that Mike Carr current Captain of Oriana was the Captain who orderded full steam ahead towards the beach.

He took a load of Pictures enroute and also the crew leaving the old lady to her fate.

He also was the last captain with the old Arcadia ( Now Ocean Village)

Paul UK

PS He told me that she was a very tired lady !! (Read)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Canberra

He said that she was in a very poor state I suppose just old age when he put her on the beach.

As for lady I thought all ships were ladies.

Ps Do you know if it true that Canberra was actually owned by Abbey National, I heard rumours that the Abbey owned all the passenger ships and Nat West the cargo ships in a purchase and lease back deal !!

Paul

Gijs said:
Why a very tired lady?

·
Banned
2 Posts
As a matter of fact a ship is divided for finance purposes into 64 parts to spread the cost. Abbey National may well have had a majority holding - just as mortgagees. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Canberra

I often wondered what must go through the mind (& heart) of a Captain of a ship like the Canberra when she is run up on the beach for scrapping. I doubt many do it a second time.

Haywood

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Having been involved in the building of a number of modern large landing ships for overseas navies I can confirm that it takes a very special type of naval officer to be a successful landing ship captain, running his ship regularly onto a beach and getting it off again. Most regular captains would use the word cowboy, but I think that buccaneer is more acurate. They certainly need to display panache.

Fred

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Tom Haywood said:
I often wondered what must go through the mind (& heart) of a Captain of a ship like the Canberra when she is run up on the beach for scrapping. I doubt many do it a second time.

Haywood
Tom,
Thats very true but bear in mind that Captains and crew get older and move on to other newer vessels. So when finally the time comes to hit the beach it might not be all that senior a captain who does the job. Having said that I have been involved in a couple of decommissionings and it a very sad business, the ship seems to age and become more neglected almost overnight as things are disembarked. I have never been on the last voyage of a vessel going for scrap and nor do I think that I ever wanted to!!.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Canberra

Doug

I was on the final homeward trip of the old Arcadia and spoke to Mike Carr in some depth.

He did not say to much about the last few minutes but P&O had not decided where she was going until they were in the Med .

He told me it was like having a huge ship to do with what you want and it appears that he was given a free reign as to stops and route.

The little book of Pics that he sells from his current ship (Oriana) is very personal but great to see.

He has even taken pics of the crew landing in one of canberra,s life boats with her in the back ground.

Paul

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Yes I concur absolutely, I think I have been in part down that path. Mike Carr is a great guy, I only sailed with him for a very short time but have the utmost respect for him, and for many others that I sailed with in my time in P&O.
Sometimes, perhaps even often depending on "the exigies of the service" previous Captains did get the chance to take earlier vessels to their last destinations!!!. Some did, others did not do it if they had the chance. I dont think I could have but thats me!!, not that I would have been in the "beaching" situation anyway .
Times have changed and P&O S N Co still remains but is very different to my days with them, Princess Cruises and the P&O vessels are very different now, I guess nothing is forever,
I havent seen his little book of pics, I must try and hunt it down when I am next back in the UK. I am sure it would be interesting to say the least..but unfortunately I dont think I would recognise any faces involved. Cheers and my thanks for the thread.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Canberra

Doug

I dont think it is on general release but I found it on the old Arcardia, Me thinks Mike is selling it off his own back and is probably available from the Oriana if he is current duty capatain .

Paul

Ps it is about post card size with about 20/25 Pics

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Paul,
Thanks for that, will have to try and establish as and when they are both out here!!, and tap a few other resources. Will check it out and see what happens, my thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Canberra

Doug

I assume from your flag you are down in a sunnier climate, if so you will need to wait at least six months.

I will try to find Oriana,s email address and do a bit of Sherlock Holmes for you, If I can locate do you want me to get one or would you rather wait.

Paul

1 - 20 of 33 Posts