Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, with my parents and brothers, Migrated in this ship to Australia in 1949. It was a freighter and we had I think women and younger children in the Forward hold and men and older boys in the aft hold. I’m trying to get as much information as I can on her but, sho far have not met with a great deal of information.
I was hoping for someone who had family that sailed on her back in that era and had photos or information about her and could pass this on to me, I would be enor grateful.
my email address will be passed on to anyone that wants it.
thanking everyone in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I, with my parents and brothers, Migrated in this ship to Australia in 1949. It was a freighter and we had I think women and younger children in the Forward hold and men and older boys in the aft hold. I’m trying to get as much information as I can on her but, sho far have not met with a great deal of information.
I was hoping for someone who had family that sailed on her back in that era and had photos or information about her and could pass this on to me, I would be enor grateful.
my email address will be passed on to anyone that wants it.
thanking everyone in advance.
I think the ship you are looking for was originally called the Kamerun and was taken as a war prize from the Germans and eventually sailed after conversion as an migrant ship from 1949 . If I am correct you can google IMO 5411547 GOYA there are some photos of her on a few sites but probably the best with a short history is on the shipspotting site, try googling shipspotting then in the search engine put GOYA and on page 3 of various ships with this name you will find a good shot of her when she was working as a migrant ship before being converted to a general cargo ship in 1950. I hope this is of help and good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the ship you are looking for was originally called the Kamerun and was taken as a war prize from the Germans and eventually sailed after conversion as an migrant ship from 1949 . If I am correct you can google IMO 5411547 GOYA there are some photos of her on a few sites but probably the best with a short history is on the shipspotting site, try googling shipspotting then in the search engine put GOYA and on page 3 of various ships with this name you will find a good shot of her when she was working as a migrant ship before being converted to a general cargo ship in 1950. I hope this is of help and good luck with your search.
Thanks very much for this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is also this photo to be found in this sites ages.
A google search for "goya immigrant ship" brought a lot of hits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts