Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
hello
is the Independence now on the way to alang or is she laid up in frisco?
i built now a modell of here!how many times she was in a yard?
every picture from here that i have,she is rebuilt!
my plan from the 50`s is good but ..........i dont no what i built

·
Registered
520 Posts
Pity they don't cut off that beautiful counter & mount it outside one of the wonderful American maritime museums.

Somewhere I have read that it was the underwater bits of the BIG U that were classified but that a waterline model that was sold on from either the U. S. Lines or a travel agent's front window was later found to be a builder's model and when removed from the "sea" was found to have a fully detailed underwater form. Anyone else know of this story?

·
Registered
545 Posts
SS United States

Following the general tone/sentiments of this thread.... ssMaritime is looking for someone resident in the United States of America to lead their 'Save A Classic Liner Campaign' for the SS United States.
Any interest see http://www.ssmaritime.com

Peter (Read)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Lisa

Your sentiment is spreading far and wide after they scrapped the Norway and Independence your Big U is at great risk if nobody in the US picks up the batten and helps her.

Paul

·
Registered
229 Posts
She was taken to sea under tow on the 8th in a heavy fog supposedly bound for Singapore before undoubtedly heading for India or Bangladesh. Again, NCL has so far skirted the niceties of the Basil treaty which forbids exporting contaminated vessels to third-world countries, and don't tell me she doesn't have asbestos, pcb's, and who knows what else onboard. Photos of her under tow are on Reuben's and Martin Cox's websites.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi Jeff

I agree with your sentiments 100% as you are in the US has there been any murmours regarding the SS United States or do you think that NCL will be able to tow her to "Singapore".

Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its old, out of date and its only metal and commodities go to the highest bidder, if anyone wants it, make a bid and pay the price.

I recently returned from an NCL cruise, and very nice it was too, the cruise market is flooded with tonnage/beds and I fail to see why NCL/Star should spend hundreds of millions trying to bring an old ship up to todays strict standards when its unlikely to pay its investment back. As for the big U it wasn't in exactly the best condition when they took it over, I cant remember anyone getting overheated about Cantor.

Nostalgia is great to look back at not live in.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.