Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - i am trying to find some information on the SS Karanja.

My family and I travelled on the SS Karanja from Mombasa to Bombay - don't know exact date - but it could be late 1968/early 1969 or early 1970. Does anyone know where I can get hold of passenger lists?

My sister who is a bit older than me and therefore has more memories of the voyage seems to think that the ship's captain was a Mr Braganza. Does anyone recall this?

Also the SS Karanja went for an extensive refit to the Kepple shipyard in Singapore. Does anyone know the exact dates please?

Thank you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello - i am trying to find some information on the SS Karanja.

My family and I travelled on the SS Karanja from Mombasa to Bombay - don't know exact date - but it could be late 1968/early 1969 or early 1970. Does anyone know where I can get hold of passenger lists?

My sister who is a bit older than me and therefore has more memories of the voyage seems to think that the ship's captain was a Mr Braganza. Does anyone recall this?

Also the SS Karanja went for an extensive refit to the Kepple shipyard in Singapore. Does anyone know the exact dates please?

Try these links

Thank you
Font Parallel Circle Rectangle Pattern
Azure Font Electric blue Terrestrial plant Screenshot
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Naval architecture
Water Sky Boat Vehicle Naval architecture

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Ref "Karanja" refit at Singapore: "... in August 1969 she was sent to the Keppel Shipyard in Singapore for an extensive refit. The refit included the installation of an air conditioning plant for the Public Rooms and Cabin Accommodation, passenger numbers were further reduced and she emerged from the yard in February 1970."
Source: oceanlinermuseum.co.uk Ship History

BI were part of the P&O group. There are extensive surviving records: P&O Heritage is the Official Collection of P&O's History
Passenger lists ( if any survive) would probably have been kept by port authorities/ public archives in Kenya.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ref "Karanja" refit at Singapore: "... in August 1969 she was sent to the Keppel Shipyard in Singapore for an extensive refit. The refit included the installation of an air conditioning plant for the Public Rooms and Cabin Accommodation, passenger numbers were further reduced and she emerged from the yard in February 1970."
Source: oceanlinermuseum.co.uk Ship History

BI were part of the P&O group. There are extensive surviving records: P&O Heritage is the Official Collection of P&O's History
Passenger lists ( if any survive) would probably have been kept by port authorities/ public archives in Kenya.
thank you for the information - much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts