Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have photographs of the SS Karanja? I travelled on her around April/May 1972 from Beira to Bombay. I was a 19 year old student going to India for the first time to enroll at University. I was alone, 19 years old, and had the time of my life. Friends, partying, activity packed days, dances, ship board and port romance. Spoilt by my amazing steward who woke me up every day with coffee and toast. What an experience! I would love to hear from anyone who served on the Karanja or travelled on her. it would be great to see pics of Dar es Salaam, Mombasa, Seychelles, Karachi and the ship. please share memories. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two pix. Taken at Durban. Unfortunately no pix in the other ports,

Stephen
Stephen
View attachment 691529

View attachment 691530
View attachment 691529

View attachment 691530
Stephen
View attachment 691529

View attachment 691530
Thank you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks. I used to have a pic of a Royal Navy ship which we passed by. It was quite exciting to see the sailors on deck.
Kanja used to kindly take mail from RN Ships on Beira Patrol. I think that it was the practice to put a bottle of scotch in the mail bag as a 'Thank you'. Our wives were grateful for their efforts
Ian.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I travelled on the SS Karanja at the age of 9 in 1969. Mombasa-Make-Bombay. I still have my Crossing of the Equator/Neptune Ceremony certificate! Recently gave a talk on one of the SilverSea ships on Zheng He and showed off my old cert. Good childhood memories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts