Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
S.S. Manxman

It would appear that the ex I.O.M. Ferry, Manxman is to be scrapped. Thieves boarded her last Friday, stealing piping and valves and she nearly sank for a second time.

Pallion Shipbuilding has now decided she has become a liability and have decided to advertise her for sale for scrap. Unfortunately the required funds to buy her have not been forthcoming despite the fact that she was to star in a Channel 4 Series Big Boats.

Certain requirements to enable Lottery Funding could not be fulfilled, namely partnership funding and if last minute pleas for help are not answered, Manxman will be sold for scrap and another piece of our maritime heritage will be gone forever.(Sad)

What is wrong with this country, this England, whose Government and so called elected persons spend money on ill conceived and badly planned schemes by the score, and then tie so many requirements to a genuine scheme to preserve a piece of history that it became unachieveable.

Where has the pride in our past and past achievements gone, down the pan as far as I am concerned. Does nobody give a dam anymore ?

Another nail in the coffin of maritime history and another nail in the coffins of all who sailed the seven seas for England. ( there are no borders in my England as far as I am concerned, the British Isles is my England )

Chris. (Cloud)

P.S.

Does anyone know a very rich person who rather than put their money into a Football Club, would put it into something which would make jobs and also become a major part of our history. Please tell them about Manxman if you do.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Hello, hello, hello....

The following received today from the Teesmaritime website:

From Liverpool Daily Post, May 1st:

The last traditional Isle of Man steamer looks set to be scrapped, in spite of plans for it to star in a £10m prime-time do***entary and become a floating ambassador for Liverpool.

The SS Manxman, formerly owned by the Isle of Man Steam Packet for its Liverpool to Douglas service, started leaking badly after it was attacked by thieves last Friday.

Last night it appeared the damage could mean the death of the ship, which was meant to be the star of Channel 4's Big Boat series.

Due to be broadcast during Liverpool's 800th anniversary in 2007 and European Capital of Culture year 2008, the show would have given national publicity to the city.

But the ship now lies in tatters after a gang, which police say had expertise in engineering, illegally boarded Manxman currently berthed at Pallion shipyard, on the River Wear, at Sunderland.

They ripped out important valves and pipework, allowing water to flood her engine room. '

Last night Pallion Engineering, agents for Manxman's owners Wavepower Navigation Corp, said the company was unwilling to wait any longer for fund-raisers to buy the ship.

A Pallion Engineering spokesman said it has been forced to recognise the ship presents an "increasing hazard" to safety and has reluctantly taken steps for her to be scrapped.

Channel 4 chose Manxman, built by Cammell Laird in Birkenhead, in 1955, after discarding 20 other vessels in a nationwide search for a suitable key ship.

The do***entary, commissioned by Channel 4 from leading independent producers IWC, had already formally proposed to show Manxman being restored to full working order. Wirral Borough Council had pledged use of Laird's former No 4 drydock, but the do***entary's progress stalled when Liverpool City Council and Liverpool Chamber of Commerce pointedly ignored pleas from the Manxman Steamship Company charitable Trust to help find funds to pump-prime the project.

Liverpool Culture Company, in charge of European Capital of Culture events, gave its support but says it is unable to help financially.

Without this crucial local cash commitment to the project, Channel 4 and IWC are unable to access Heritage Lottery Funding and other grant revenues for the project.

This is all despite the World Heritage Site assessor criticising the city, whose Unesco status is based on its maritime past, for having no major ship exhibit.

After restoration, Manxman Steamship Co intended to run the ship as a conference, education and training centre, also available for events such as weddings.

"During summer it was hoped to steam her for excursion work from Liverpool, acting as a floating ambassadress for the city in 2007-8 and afterward," says Bill Ogle, Manxman Steamship chairman.

Manxman is the last surviving large passenger ship built at Cammell Laird and also one of the last major merchant ships whose service made Liverpool second city of the British Empire. - '

Built to a 1930s design, the ship's wood-panelled interiors and brass fittings epitomise the pre-plastic, car ferry era of cross channel travel.

Mr Ogle last night blamed local authorities for the failure of the project.

He said: * "It has proved increasingly difficult to continue because of a lack of financial funding from key regional authorities. "This ship is a genuine international maritime asset and tourism magnet which belongs on Merseyside."

What can I say?
John T.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Sad to see her end her days like that however this experience could be a portent of what will happen when Nomadic returns to Belfast. As usual there is lots of "talk" about tourist potential and refurbishing her back to 1912 glory but very little in the way of funding to achieve all this. We have an old saying in Harland and Wolff "Talk is cheap but it takes money to buy drink" seems very apt in the cir***stances. (Cloud)

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
What sarcasm Chris? If you have interpretted Britain for England then no sarcasm was intended. Remember being on a ship & saying 'English'? You / I was always told to say British. So take it easy Mate, worse things happen at sea!! (Thumb)

I have just contacted my local newspaper, Sunderland Echo & mentioned about this news & they have not heard anything about it but are now persuing detail, if any, about the alleged thieves / illegal boarders. I will get back when I hear of any developments.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
I have just been in touch with my local newspaper, Sunderland Echo, & mentioned this to them & they have heard nothing about the alleged thieves or illegal boarding but are persuing information on this & I will be back if I hear any news etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Santos, why pick on Football clubs, surely they are a part of our history as well and bring a lot of jobs with them. Its not just about the players on the pitch football clubs around the country employ thousands of people and are very important to lots of people.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What?

I just read the news kindly provided by santos and I am very angry about those bastards ruining an endangered piece of Maritime heritage.

These aren't only thieves but disgraced vandals. I hope the police find them. I don't know if when caught, they are supposed to pay for the incurred damage, wheter in cash or kind, but I wish they know they sabotaged years of tremendous work (Cloud)

I hope this created an outrage and that it will mobilize everybody to do something.

There simply aren't any remaining ship like the TS Manxman. most preserved units are diesel powerd, some with triple expansion but how many with turbines? This may be the last, although I hope to be mistaken.

I was so happy to learn she was drydocked. I though she was secure.

Very very upset /
how can I help from where I am?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Manxman

As an apprentice, I helped build her turbines in Cammell Lairds.
On sea trials, we visited Douglas for a short time. A small crowd of people came down to see the new ship and somebody in the crowd shouted, "Well done England". That would have been in 1962, 44 years ago (ouch).
All those old ferries where classic and well loved ships of their day.

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Merged threads

In our anger at this outrage, we had two threads started about the subject. I have merged them for members convenience.

Fred

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
I have just been contacted from the news room of the Sunderland Echo & can confirm report that some persons, unknown, have used a boat to go alongside Manxman & using burning gear cut a hole in way of the engine room & stolen mostly all copper & brass fittings. There will be a full news coverage in the paper tomorrow 3rd May & I will update all members as & when I recieve my copy. Thanks go out to Chris (Santos) from the newsroom of TSE for bringing the story to light. (Thumb)

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
S.S. Manxman

Wild Rover there are very many football clubs, but only one Manxman.

If one football club closes there are many others to go to see, if Manxman is scrapped there are no more to see, thats why we need a benefactor like the Russian gentleman at Chealsea.

Thanks Pat for the mention, perhaps the Sunderland Echo can help and advertise for a benefactor to help out the Manxman Steamship Company.

Chris.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would like to see Manxman saved but saying if a football club was scrapped you could always go to another one is the same as saying if you scrap Manxman you can always go to another preserved ship. To those who love football all clubs are unique to those who love preserved ships they are all unique, I love both, I just wondered why you picked out football.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S S Manxman

Because thats were all the people with seemingly bottomless pockets hang out just lately.

The odd £20 million spent here for a player, the odd £15 million spent there for a player. To save the Manxman and restore her would only cost £2.5 million. Pure chicken feed to those guys.

Chris.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Santos said:
Wild Rover there are very many football clubs, but only one Manxman.

If one football club closes there are many others to go to see, if Manxman is scrapped there are no more to see, thats why we need a benefactor like the Russian gentleman at Chealsea.

Thanks Pat for the mention, perhaps the Sunderland Echo can help and advertise for a benefactor to help out the Manxman Steamship Company.

Chris.
The Sunderland Echo has done it's bit over the years, as have Sunderland Maritime Heritage, as for the preservation of 'City of Adelaide'. Google Sunderland Maritine Heritage for a FULL description & view of their site to see what brick walls we have come up against. As for football clubs? Would I go to see AND support NUFC...............Err!!NO!! Think of Merseyside doing the same. Stick to shipping Chris or this thread will go haywire. We love ships, for NO COST, they see football as a stepping stone to more riches.......SAD(Thumb)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the lottery is the thing that should be doing this sort of thing rather than giving money to bizzare causes week in week out. By the way there aren't many Football clubs that can fork out £20M for a player these days, most clubs are up to their eyes in debt.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
S.S. Manxman

The Manxman Steam Ship Co tried the lottery and were doing OK with the application but could not get partnership money, eg local council etc, They all cried poverty, too big councillors expenses bill probably.

Chris

1 - 20 of 55 Posts